Does Obesity=Disability?

Options
krisiepoo
krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
I work for my state processing disability claims for social security. I have on average 100 claims at any given time and get 3-6 new ones every day.

I would say about 10% of my claims list "obesity" as an allegation for being disabled. This is not usually the only thing they list, most people allege a minimum of 2 things, so "obesity" is usually ranked with "back pain" or "depression" or "bad knees".

I'm considered "obese" and have times where I do hurt, I don't want to move and want to stay home but I don't think that that would qualify me for a disability.

It just annoys me sometimes and thought I'd throw it out there to see what others thought....

Replies

• zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    totally with you on this.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I sure hope not, considering that more than 30-40% of the adult population in Canada/USA is considered obese!!! Does that mean that more than 1/3 of the adult population can't work and is disabled?!
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If it's the only factor I have a problem with it. However, there are other conditions which can cause obesity/make obesity more of a disabling factor, so I think we have to look at an overall picture first. IE, having to be on chronic steroid use for other conditions like lupus, having severe lymphedema, etc.

But just to say "I'm fat, I should get a check"? That's bogus.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Some folks have been known to become obese on purpose in order to be classified as disabled, and then enjoy benefits associated with it. I knew a guy that ballooned up, so that he could work from home.

screen-shot-2011-12-12-at-4-12-52-pm.png
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If it's the only factor I have a problem with it. However, there are other conditions which can cause obesity/make obesity more of a disabling factor, so I think we have to look at an overall picture first. IE, having to be on chronic steroid use for other conditions like lupus, having severe lymphedema, etc.

Agreed!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that obesity is untreatable in the way that knees or backs, and in come cases depression are. Sure, there are some folks that medically cannot lose weight, but I imagine that is a small percentage of those that can with a little effort on MFP.

I just hope the MFP doesn't become a government agency. ;)
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    To me a disability is something you can not change and would prevent you from doing other things as you normally would/could. Obesity can be changed with exercise and proper diet. I think it is just the lazy person's way to try and get some free money so they can sit for longer periods of time on the couch and be lazy. The other things they are putting on the claim sounds like side effects of being obese, that may not necessarily improve if they lose weight, but it never hurts to try. In my opinion, it sounds like they are just trying to work the system. If I were in your position, the shredder next to my desk would be full.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Ugh, my dream job would be to run the screening process of social welfare programs.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't think that obesity means disability, but I'm all about science... so I had to look up scientific articles on this issue and obesity has been found to hinder work production according to studies.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19445439

...and another interesting article about obesity and disability discrimination act.
    http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.radcliffe-oxford.com/books/samplechapter/0584/Williams%20chapt%2010-a158710rdz.pdf&sa=U&ei=5_fQT5_TPIWe6QHDo4V9&ved=0CBoQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNHaBRbhYjRnDXpubt23gkgYRqX6tQ
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

Funny. That was the very first thing I thought of when I saw this post.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of when Homer becomes obese to get disability and work from home.
    Kingsizehomer.jpg
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    LOL I didn't see this before I posted mine!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not a medical expert or have experience working as a social worker but claiming disability due to obesity sounds ridiculous to me.

I myself am obese. I know not everybody realizes what they're doing to their body like I have. But at the same time, I don't see why the government should be spending money to support the obesity. I can understand if government is spending money to prevent obesity and such, I'm all up for that but when you spend money directly to a person that is obese (outside of medical reasons obviously), I think you're simply encouraging him.

Heck, I say instead of giving fattys like me a handicap parking, I say give us a special parking a mile away. Make us walk off our disease...
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I don't think that obesity means disability, but I'm all about science... so I had to look up scientific articles on this issue and obesity has been found to hinder work production according to studies.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19445439

...and another interesting article about obesity and disability discrimination act.
    http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.radcliffe-oxford.com/books/samplechapter/0584/Williams%20chapt%2010-a158710rdz.pdf&sa=U&ei=5_fQT5_TPIWe6QHDo4V9&ved=0CBoQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNHaBRbhYjRnDXpubt23gkgYRqX6tQ

True but it's an easily curable "disability" assuming it's not caused by other factors such as thyroid or necessary medication.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

If this is the case, i would not list the obesity as the disability, but the cause instead.
  • claire7090
    claire7090 Posts: 67
    Options
    I have arthirtis (diagnosed with oesteoarthritis age 21 now 36) one of my reasons for losing weight was so that I could lead a full life - including going to work and to minimise the effects of my condition. I work 23 hours a week and the rest of the time I am an active Mum to two children - I know that I am more active and in less pain since I lost weight. Obesity can be overcome by hardwork and learning to eat sensibly and if people were not obese the bad knees/back etc would be a lot more manageable. Obesity in most cases is caused by eating too much (I know there are some medical reasons as well but they are the minority) and should not be classed as a disability. Just my thoughts as an ex-obese person!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Some folks have been known to become obese on purpose in order to be classified as disabled, and then enjoy benefits associated with it. I knew a guy that ballooned up, so that he could work from home.

I thought the same exact episode when I read this
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    That's a sticky wicket. On the surface, sure, it looks like obesity shouldn't be a disability, but there is always a story behind the answers people write in those blanks.

I work for the Army as a physical therapist, and aside for gross trauma, the leading factor that I see in who ends up being "disabled" and who doesn't is a mental attitude and will to keep going despite pain. This doesn't apply to everyone, by any means, but in general the people who are able to cope with their pain and "drive on" do so much better than those who use their pain to define their identities (i.e. those who see themselves as "broken").

There's starting to be some good evidence coming out of the military that one of the biggest factors for avoiding disability claims and over-utilization of medical services by people with chronic pain is access to mental health services. Sure, our population is different than the average population, but I strongly feel that the link between mental health and pain is ignored way too often.

That's my two cents! Obviously, there are a lot of factors that play into that. Sure, the "gut" reaction may be to get disgusted that someone who's obese is listing it on their disability form, but I think in most cases, the true causes probably go deeper than that.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Also, obesity is a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself. If you have evidence that you are obese because of a severe medical condition, then it is that medical condition that's disabling you. If you're obese because you love fried foods and watching TV, your medical condition is called laziness and I don't think your insurance should be financially responsible for that. What they SHOULD offer you is weight loss and nutrition counseling.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    If you're so obese you can hardly move then it's a disability.