Really need tips to not suck at running

Options

Replies

• jgilbey
    jgilbey Posts: 79
    Options
    I think I missed it.. Where do you go to get your gait annualized ? I've been having horrible shin splints (on week 3 of c25k) and I really need to do something, its affecting my running..

and another question.. when I run on the treadmill (i usually go on track but did treadmill today) it wobbles back and forth.. bad shaky.. is this normal or is my running technique completely sloppy? lol
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    When you start breathing too heavy, follow this progression.

1. Slow down
    2. Still breathing too heavy?
    3. Repeat 1

Most people run far too fast when they are starting out. Aim for a conversational pace.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner, never liked it, changed from basketball to volleyball in high school because there was less running!! :laugh: And here I am, 20-something years later, deciding that maybe I should try running. So I went for the c25k program - worked like a charm!

I had been exercising regularly (DVDs at home) and walking 4 miles several times a week. I can walk all day long, and walk fast, but run? Totally different. Out of breath, legs screaming - what's the deal? Downloaded the c25k app for my phone and stuck to it - 9 weeks later I was running the 5k distance without stopping or dying! :bigsmile:

That was near the end of March. I ran my first 5k race on Memorial Day weekend and loved it, and set my personal best time and fastest mile in the process. I'm still getting out there 3 days a week and just downloaded the 10k app to try to increase my distance a bit and see how that goes. I have no desire to run a marathon, or even a half at this point, but could be persuaded to go 10k, just for the challenge if nothing else. The challenge is what got me to start c25k - I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.

Check it out online and get an app if you've got a smart phone. I used the c25lFREE from Zen Labs on my iPhone.

You can do it!!
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Kat,

Have you ever heard of Couch to 5K??? I started doing that because I felt like running was my only option. I too am 5'3". I started at 155 and now I'm at 142. It took 6 weeks before I lost the first pound, but they have been coming off steadily now. I'm no professional at running. But the Couch to 5K will get you started. Look it up!! I am running great now. I got stuck at week 4, stayed there for 4 weeks and never gave up. I can now run almost 2 miles without having to walk. Good luck!

I have heard of it, I don't know why I haven't used it yet. Maybe I need to pick a day to start and stick with it like I did with 30DS. I think I'm just intimidated with running completely. I feel like people are staring at me thinking, why does she even bother if that's as far as she can get? lol Maybe I just need to suck it up, blare my metal and screw what anyone is saying because I can't hear it anyway haha.

I hear ya. I was so self conscious when i first started and would keep my head down and wouldn't look at anyone. The only thing you can do is suck it up. Keep your music on and your head down until you catch your groove and I PROMISE you that within a few weeks you will be so damn proud of how far you have come that it won't matter so much what anyone else is thinking.

Search the message board for the Hey Fat Girl post if you haven't already read it. That could have been written to me. I cried and reblogged on here and FB and printed it out and put it up next to my bathroom mirror so I always have it.

I'll look it up when I have some time to be moved! I love all the inspirational posts everyone on here has. it really motivates me to see the picture threads and see how far everyone has come.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I think I missed it.. Where do you go to get your gait annualized ? I've been having horrible shin splints (on week 3 of c25k) and I really need to do something, its affecting my running..

and another question.. when I run on the treadmill (i usually go on track but did treadmill today) it wobbles back and forth.. bad shaky.. is this normal or is my running technique completely sloppy? lol

A running store will analyze your gait. Try looking for a Fleet Feet if you're not sure what is or isn't a running store in your area.

As for the treadmill-what kind of treadmill are you running on? If it's not terribly high quality-it is probably the treadmill shaking around. If it's a higher quality treadmill-it could be off balance or need an adjustment or it could have some fancy shock absorbing thing that is "bouncing back" at the wrong time for your stride.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Kat,

Have you ever heard of Couch to 5K??? I started doing that because I felt like running was my only option. I too am 5'3". I started at 155 and now I'm at 142. It took 6 weeks before I lost the first pound, but they have been coming off steadily now. I'm no professional at running. But the Couch to 5K will get you started. Look it up!! I am running great now. I got stuck at week 4, stayed there for 4 weeks and never gave up. I can now run almost 2 miles without having to walk. Good luck!

I have heard of it, I don't know why I haven't used it yet. Maybe I need to pick a day to start and stick with it like I did with 30DS. I think I'm just intimidated with running completely. I feel like people are staring at me thinking, why does she even bother if that's as far as she can get? lol Maybe I just need to suck it up, blare my metal and screw what anyone is saying because I can't hear it anyway haha.

I also have been so worried about who is watching and laughing at my slow jog lol. I would only run on the one street around my house where there are no houses etc and walk the rest :P
    I finally did laps with a friend at the gym last night and it gave me courage. I ran one, walked one...so on and so on until my time was up. So then last night I downloaded C25K and started it today...I ran in front of all my neighbors houses and didn't worry what anyone was saying. I figure I'm going faster than any of them sitting in their living rooms staring at me through the window lol.
    Losing 65 lbs..down from 310, I am going WAY faster than I was a year ago and I am now proud! :D

One of my fave quotes is "Suck it up now so one day you won't have to suck it in anymore" ;)
  • brookeg20
    brookeg20 Posts: 54
    Options
    Try couch to 5k (c25k) to get started. There are at least 7,000 iterations available via phone apps and/or google search. You will alternate running and walking and over a period of several weeks gradually decrease the walking time and increase the running time until you are running solid for 30 minutes or so.

If you're gasping for breath after a minute or 2 and you're not terribly out of shape-you're trying to go too fast. Slow down. No-slower than that. You should be able to talk (at least some). Keep slowing down until you can. No-slower than that-really.

For shoes-go to a running store and get fitted. They will take a look at your feet and how your foot/leg moves when you run. They will help you find "good" shoes for you. What's good for me might suck for you and give you injuries.

And don't run every day-not for a while. Running is pounding work for your joints and it takes time to build up to being able to take that pounding. You may "feel" fine-but your future injury is invisibly building if you don't let your body rest.

Lastly-running isn't the only exercise in the world. If you hate it-don't force yourself to do it. I love it-so I look forward to running. Some days runs just suck-some days they are great-but I enjoy it always. Don't try to force yourself to do something you loathe.

This, but just give yourself time to love it. It takes a little bit, but if you stick at it one day you will see someone running and wish you were out running too! I think runner's world is a great website to help with questions. Good luck!
  • brookeg20
    brookeg20 Posts: 54
    Options
    And don't worry about people thinking you are slow. Other runners will encourage you, and people who don't run will see you and wish that they could run too!
  • kristin1125
    kristin1125 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 of C25K and basically stuck on Monday - I'm going to do it over and over again until I can finally get up to 8-min for the next day. The program is great, on day 1 I thought I was going to die - that's how novice I was. I'm getting better every day, but it is a slow process.

Some of the best advice I have been given is that the first 5minutes are the hardest - it takes a while to figure out your breathing. Also, make sure you get good stretches in afterwards. My calves were cramping quite a bit in the beginning, but now that I am stretching properly they feel much better.

Good luck!!
  • jgilbey
    jgilbey Posts: 79
    Options
    A running store will analyze your gait. Try looking for a Fleet Feet if you're not sure what is or isn't a running store in your area.

As for the treadmill-what kind of treadmill are you running on? If it's not terribly high quality-it is probably the treadmill shaking around. If it's a higher quality treadmill-it could be off balance or need an adjustment or it could have some fancy shock absorbing thing that is "bouncing back" at the wrong time for your stride.
    [/quote]

Thanks, the treadmill I used was on at the gym? I assume they're nice quality. I don't know I was having an off day, I don't remember them shaking like that before.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 of C25K and can't believe how well I'm doing. I'm 5'7" and 210 lbs (I started C25K and MFP at 219lbs.) I have never ever been a runner, and I just had my third baby and was in the worst shape of my life BY FAR when I started all of this. I'm doing it! You can do it! :)

To answer a couple questions - I can pretty much eat anything before I run as long as it's small and not too close to when I start my workout. So maybe 30 minutes to an hr before I'll have oatmeal or turkey bacon and fruit or something else small. I haven't felt sick yet during a run (and at my weight, I'm actually surprised.)
    I also have super high arches. I fully intended on getting fitted for new shoes after seeing all the posts about it on the boards here, but I'm realizing that the shoes I have actually seem to be great for me. I have Asics Gels, and I love them. I've never had shin splints, and the initial minor knee discomfort I was having the first week went away. I'm sure it was because my body was shocked at what I was putting it through and had nothing to do with my shoes. If I feel any discomfort I'll get fitted, but I will probably wear these shoes for a while then get fitted for my next pair.
  • mgood989
    mgood989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in selling running shoes, not one of those big box stores. Having the right running shoes makes a huge difference. When I first started running I had the wrong shoe and got shin splints. Since getting fitted with the correct shoes I have not had any problems with shin splints. While your running shoes might not be the cause of your shin splints getting fitted for the right running shoes certainly won't hurt.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Been running for 18 months now...a couple of items I have learned from those in the know that may help. Some I learned right away, others the hard way.

Couch to 5K to Start is a good thing. Too much too soon is not a good thing, unless you like to limp around the house a lot.

Go to a local running store and get good shoes, replace them when they are worn out. You will thank yourself for it. Also keep an easy stride with your feet landing under you not in front you. This will feel like a shorter stride, but will help prevent injuries and keep your shins happy.

Slow down...It will take time to build the cardiovascular components, if you are out of breath after a few seconds or minutes and find it hard to complete the running portions of C25K then slow down. You aren't going to win any Olympic medals so don't start by trying to, as you run more speed will come along naturally (and quite quickly) just by developing the cardio endurance.

Recovery (slow easy runs or days off) is when the benefits are gained from a run, so plan for them and give your body a break.

Try pacing your breathing as well. An easy pace is 1 breath in for 4 steps and 1 out for 4 steps, 3/3 and 2/2 can be associated with a harder effort. This is better than looking at how fast you are going to determine how much effort you are using. Starting out it should pretty much be all easy.

In terms of eating before/after. At this point, don't worry about it. 3 miles does not burn enough calories to require additional nutrition before or after the run. As you go farther that will change. If you do eat before, be sure it is 3 hours before. If you eat after, be sure to count it. Many beginning runners tend to plateau due to increased hunger after exercise and a feeling like they've earned it. At 3 miles it is very easy to eat it all back (and maybe more.) Given your reason for running, this is something you don't want to do.

Also, no matter how much/fast you run, some runs just suck. Tomorrow will be another day though and it may be a great run.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can read later......I too am 5' 3" and fairly new to running.............
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Thanks, the treadmill I used was on at the gym? I assume they're nice quality. I don't know I was having an off day, I don't remember them shaking like that before.
    [/quote]

Gym treadmills are kind of like rental cars-someone is going to spin the tires or see how quickly the car goes from 80mph to reverse. In treadmill terms-this probably means a heavier & harder runner pounding out marathon training long runs. Or someone pushing the limits of speed/incline changes or any number of things that take a toll on a treadmill. You're not likely the cause of the shaking-it probably got jostled or shifted or beat up 16 times too many by gym patrons and just needs a little tune-up or adjustment.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I had to push myself out the door when I started! A few things I've learned...the right shoes are very important. When you feel like your breathing is starting to go crazy slow downa nd take two big deep breathes. Warm up and stretch before a run and stretch after a run!! I usually eat a banana a half hour before my run! Make sure your hydrated so sip that water all day!! :)
  • surromom2010
    Options
    OMG your post title made me LAUGH!

So many questions you have! Good ones too.... Important ones!

I started running in 2000, right after my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I was fat, out of shape, and also a smoker. It sucked. It hurt. And I hated it. I thought people who did it were suckers.

I love it now. It took me a while to love it, but I do! It is my therapy, and my ME time. It feels good, and has gotten my *kitten* under control (somewhat!). I have lost over 50 lbs since I started back in the day... and it feels good to know I can chase my kids!

Once you build up your cardio/endurance, you will feel more confident.

As for shoes - you should go to a reputable shoe store and have their staff do a gait analysis on you (free) and recommend a good shoe. It is the only piece of equipment you need, so make sure you get the right ones, and make the investment!

As for eating before or after, I say it depends on how long/far you are running! Don't eat immediatedly before or you will feel like crap and burp up whatever you've eaten! As for after, I like milk. It does a body good! :tongue:

And as msprouse said, the couch to 5k plan is a great place to start (that's where I started!)... it will give you good, solid times and distances to set yourself by, and help you build gradually.

You can totally do this - and you'll feel great!

Feel free to PM me or add me as a friend if you'd like... I'm happy to help more if I can!

:flowerforyou: Kiki

This is all very helpful, I suppose when I do run it will either be really early or before I eat dinner. I have a feeling I'll be slowed down more after I eat than when hungry. You've all definitely convinced me to start C25K again hopefully next week, I would like to be one of those people who can run for an hour in the morning and enjoy it as "me time" I'm actually excited about it rather than nervous.
  • surromom2010
    Options
    Been running for 18 months now...a couple of items I have learned from those in the know that may help. Some I learned right away, others the hard way.

Couch to 5K to Start is a good thing. Too much too soon is not a good thing, unless you like to limp around the house a lot.

Go to a local running store and get good shoes, replace them when they are worn out. You will thank yourself for it. Also keep an easy stride with your feet landing under you not in front you. This will feel like a shorter stride, but will help prevent injuries and keep your shins happy.

Slow down...It will take time to build the cardiovascular components, if you are out of breath after a few seconds or minutes and find it hard to complete the running portions of C25K then slow down. You aren't going to win any Olympic medals so don't start by trying to, as you run more speed will come along naturally (and quite quickly) just by developing the cardio endurance.

Recovery (slow easy runs or days off) is when the benefits are gained from a run, so plan for them and give your body a break.

Try pacing your breathing as well. An easy pace is 1 breath in for 4 steps and 1 out for 4 steps, 3/3 and 2/2 can be associated with a harder effort. This is better than looking at how fast you are going to determine how much effort you are using. Starting out it should pretty much be all easy.

In terms of eating before/after. At this point, don't worry about it. 3 miles does not burn enough calories to require additional nutrition before or after the run. As you go farther that will change. If you do eat before, be sure it is 3 hours before. If you eat after, be sure to count it. Many beginning runners tend to plateau due to increased hunger after exercise and a feeling like they've earned it. At 3 miles it is very easy to eat it all back (and maybe more.) Given your reason for running, this is something you don't want to do.

Also, no matter how much/fast you run, some runs just suck. Tomorrow will be another day though and it may be a great run.

Thanks for the physical tips to this, I gues it's true that I really won't need to worry about eating right now since I wont be doing much to start. I'll worry about that when I actually work my way to being "long distance" and I won't be there for quite some time. Do you think I should Run every other day or like 6 days a week since C25K still start me out slow anyway?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Besides slow down I wanted to add that it is important to do core and glute strengthening exercises as you run further and faster. Trust me, I am in physical therapy right now due to an injury. My therapist said this is the most common thing people who start out running do to hurt themselves, not strengthen their glutes or core.

Be kind to yourself as well. If you can only run a 100 yards at a time, so be it. I have been at this for a while and am just now up to three to 3.5 straight miles running. At first I had to push myself to run even .25 miles, then a half, then 1. I can not believe that I can run 3 straight miles now. This is a girl who would be out of breath watching a cop chase a crack addict on the tv show Southland.

You can do it, just keep it up. The biggest problem people have today with fitness is thinking they can do this faster than they can or should. This is a life long journey, enjoy the ride.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I suck at running, too! But I have been getting better. My tips are to set very small goals, stick with it, be patient, and don't worry about judgey runner type people. (I felt very self conscious that people would be like, "What a poser, she only ran 5 minutes and walked the rest!")

I started out trying to run without walking for one mile. Then I added more distance, but doing intervals of walking and running.