Cracker Barrel low carb menu issues

Options
maggiepz
maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
I am trying to find out the nutritional information for the bread on the Low Carb menu at Cracker Barrel. The Double Meat Breakfast consists of 2 pieces of bacon, 2 sausage, 3 eggs, tomatoes and 2 pieces of supposedly reduced carb whole wheat toast. It said the meal was 3 net carbs and 5 net carbs for toast. I can't find any bread that has that low of carbs.

Contacted the company and they said they would get back to me. We'll see.

If anyone has any of this info please let me know. Probably really need the bread and smoked sausage patty. The rest I could guess-timate. I did an internet search and couldn't find anything. I makes me suspicious when big restaurant chains won't post nutritional info. makes me think they have something to hide since even McDonald's provides it.

Maybe I should limit my carbs the rest of the day in case I just blew my limit to hell.

Replies

• fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but that meal would blow my entire day. I would eat veggies the rest of the day... :tongue:
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you're this concerned about it, I'd just stay away from them for the rest of the day for peace of mind, but it probably isn't that bad.
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    cracker barrel does not have there nutrition information listed on their website or in the restaurant. when i ordered the low carb breakfast i did not order the bread. i asked for sliced tomatoes instead.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but that meal would blow my entire day. I would eat veggies the rest of the day... :tongue:

Guess you didn't hear that as long as you eat low carbs you can eat as much protein and fats as you want.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an awful lot of work to figure out if something is okay to fit into your calories when there's a million better options out there. Besides, isn't "cracker barrel" and "low carb" in the same phrase a little more than a bit oxymoronic?

I
  • sonyaj1125
    sonyaj1125 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think Healthy Life Original Whole Wheat/ Whole grain bread has 5 grams net carbs. That's the only one that I know of. I don't know if that's the one they use.
  • alaina216
    alaina216 Posts: 103
    Options
    Dont eat it...it's not low carb! I used to work there (at 3 diffrent ones actually) and its just plain old wheat bread, nothing low carb about it....and-have them make your eggs without OIL--its disgusting :) hope that helps
  • DarinGettingHawtin2013
    DarinGettingHawtin2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Guess you didn't hear that as long as you eat low carbs you can eat as much protein and fats as you want.

FALSE. If you eat nearly zero carbs on Atkins, you can have more FLEXIBILITY on protein/fats. It is absolutely NOT TRUE that "low carb" eating allows for free protein/fats. That is a dangerous myth.

Basically, if you're going to go informally low carb, then watch the calories like normal. If you're going Atkins, then do the research and follow the rules. You are changing your metabolism, so if you eat more than the marginal amount of carbs allowed in the first several weeks, you'll put yourself right back at the start.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    that's a lot of damn food for just breakfast...regardless of what they get back to you with, I wouldn't trust it, Cracker Barrel isn't known for "health food"
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    well I wouldnt worry if it was still whole wheat toast...at least then it's healthy carbs that includes fiber.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    makes me suspicious when big restaurant chains won't post nutritional info. makes me think they have something to hide since even McDonald's provides it.

i don't know why cracker barrel doesn't provide it, but chains like mc donald's only started posting nutrition info when nyc said that any chain w/ more than 10(?) locations had to provide nutrition information if they wanted to do business within nyc. obviously, for mc d's, wendy's, burger king, etc..., they would lose A LOT of business if they didn't comply. there is no cracker barrel (by my search, anyway) within nyc.
  • Acg67
    Options

FALSE. If you eat nearly zero carbs on Atkins, you can have more FLEXIBILITY on protein/fats. It is absolutely NOT TRUE that "low carb" eating allows for free protein/fats. That is a dangerous myth.

Basically, if you're going to go informally low carb, then watch the calories like normal. If you're going Atkins, then do the research and follow the rules. You are changing your metabolism, so if you eat more than the marginal amount of carbs allowed in the first several weeks, you'll put yourself right back at the start.

You calling Gary Taubes a liar?

"If you restrict only carbohydra­tes, you can always eat more protein and fat if you feel the urge, since they have no effect on fat accumulati­on"

Location 2519 Kindle edition of Why We Get Fat

"But protein and fat don't make us fat-only the carbohydra­tes do-so there is no reason to curtail them in any way"

Location 3064 Kindle edition Why We Get Fat
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I'm glad to see that the Atkins "haters" haven't jumped in here. Yet ;) I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just watch your carbs the rest of the day. I don't get crazy if I go over on my cals as long as I'm under on my carbs. I order from that menu too, but never order the toast, as you never know what kind it is. Just next time skip it. Lesson learned :smile:
  • DarinGettingHawtin2013
    DarinGettingHawtin2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

"If you restrict only carbohydra­tes, you can always eat more protein and fat if you feel the urge, since they have no effect on fat accumulati­on"

"But protein and fat don't make us fat-only the carbohydra­tes do-so there is no reason to curtail them in any way"

Nope. Not calling anyone a liar; that's ridiculous. But I'd prefer you reference this rather than Taubes. http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?DOI=000331994&typ=pdf
  • BigenFluffy
    BigenFluffy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Cracker Barrel doesn't post nutritional info. My theory is that they feel ignorance is bliss. Even when I was eating bad, if I would have known a meal was 2500 calories, I wouldn't have eaten it.
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my biggest meal of the day so I have all day to work off the calories. I just love Cracker Barrel bacon and sausage and it would be nice to have bread more often if it's true.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    lol lowcarbs@restaurant that has "cracker" in the name

Low-carb menu items include "throw half of your meal away"
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The subject of Cracker Barrel came up today at work.
    Besides the fact CB is not known for health food, I also think their food is terrible.
    I grew up in the south and I love vegetables cooked with fat back or butts meat; I love bisuits made with Crisco shortening; I love fried chicken. I do not love canned vegetables that are over cooked. I do not love Cracker Barrel. I'm all for eating some unhealthy food now and then; but not from Cracker Barrel.
  • Acg67
    Options

Nope. Not calling anyone a liar; that's ridiculous. But I'd prefer you reference this rather than Taubes. http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?DOI=000331994&typ=pdf

Get outta here with your "science", Why We Get Fat has more references then your paper, so it must be more correct
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options

If you are quoting Gary Taubes, the LC lord himself, you had better be on a ketogenic diet! :D The man is a hero.