How to stop eating at night?

Options
2»

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What tiger said. Along with that, increasing protein intake and eating more fibrous veggies will help you stay full. But if you already hit your caloric goal and you're going over it because you're having problems with binging at night, try brushing your teeth at night, after your last meal - it helps some people (not joking).
  • amymimi12
    amymimi12 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks on here, I don't think it's a huge problem to be eating late... it's more a matter of sticking to your calorie goal and trying to put healthy food in your system to fuel your body overnight. I used to eat popcorn and chocolate every night, and I still lost weight. But I decided it was a habit I wanted to break, so I started having a small snack and hot water with lemon or tea about an hour before bed. As soon as I finish my drink I brush my teeth. The hot drink and teeth brushing has become my new habit to signal the end of my eating day. Took me about 3 weeks to break the habit, but it seems to be working for now!

And for some reason clicking on the silly little complete-this-day button on MFP makes me think I can't eat anymore because my day is done!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    And for some reason clicking on the silly little complete-this-day button on MFP makes me think I can't eat anymore because my day is done!
    Wow, so that's why people do it! I never understood that.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I do this too... it's like adjusting it is a bigger PITA than eating is :)
    If I do make the adjustment I know I *really* needed it vs wanting it.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ugh, hear ya--downfall for me with eating at night...but if I try to stay aware, like literally kicking myself in the @ss to walk away from the pantry, then it's all good. On those nights when the bag of chips are too tempting, I'll either have a nice cup of tea, give myself a mani/pedi, do the face mask thing, go to bed (this is a big one...99% of the time I'm overly tired, and not hungry at all). If you truly are hungry, have some raw veggies, or a good protein source. I know, not the same as having some goodies, but at least you're filling those hunger pangs and putting healthy nutrition into your body...which will only thank you in the long run.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    eat ALOT during the day, and practice good sleeping habits helps as well, if you're not awake and getting all your needed rest you won't be eating.

-or-

indulge a little, portion out the snack you REALLY want and have it, save calories for it if you must. night eating doesn't mean the calories will be stored as fat.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I really don't have time to read everyone's responses but I have this issue too. I usually save 100-200 calories for after dinner and either have fruit or a dessert (if I'm under in sugar). I eat just about every two hours. 8am, 10am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, and 8pm. That usually prevents me from being STARVING and then I don't crave too much at night. I also try to be in bed by 10pm, because if I'm up late, I will snack (out of habit for eating every 2 hours).
  • 7destiny
    7destiny Posts: 31
    Options
    A few peanuts, a tsp of peanut butter, or some greek yogurt get me through the evening hours.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If it fits inside your daily calorie goal don't worry about it. Just make sure you are incorporating protein and fiber into your diet.
  • cerixon
    cerixon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Go brush your teeth. You may think twice about snacking if you have minty fresh breath. It sometimes works for me.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I take a sleeping pill and go to bed!
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like my day is done without dessert, so I always save some calories for the end of the day. But I've found that WHAT I eat for desert really makes a difference. For example, I really love sweets. Specifically cookies, cake, chocolate, and pudding. I find that when I eat these, I have a really hard time sticking to a small portion. I just want more and more and more! So instead, I try to eat things like fresh fruit (I love blueberries and strawberries this time of year!), or a piece of sprouted grain bread, toasted and topped with a tbsp of nutella and fresh berries. Instead of pudding, I'll have 1/3 C. non-fat Greek yogurt topped with a tsp honey and 1/4 C. frozen mixed berries (thawed in the microwave, and including the juice). For a chocolate craving I break off just one or two squares of dark chocolte, and put the rest of the bar away before eating it. That's a hard one though. When eating fruit and/or yogurt, just I don't feel the need to have more after I'm done. Anything else, and it's a struggle to stick to one portion.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    if you're going to eat right before bed do it smart:

for example, have a hand full of almonds, or a banana, or a cup of air popped popcorn.

you'll kill your craving and it won't destroy your day!
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    To convert fat into glucose so it can be used as energy, the body uses Human Growth Hormone (HGH). The presence of insulin in the bloodstream inhibits the release of HGH. To stimulate the release of HGH from the pituitary gland, do not eat a carbohydrate meal near bedtime. If you are hungry, eat a small protein meal before bed, plain yogurt, chicken breast, egg whites etc. Or foods with a very low glycemic index such as an avocado. http://www.carbs-information.com/glycemic-index.htm#gi

HGH release is stimulated by exercise and fasting, or when we are low on glucose in the blood and the pancreas is not producing insulin. The pituitary releases higher amounts of HGH while we sleep than while we are awake, if insulin is not being secreted by the pancreas. The highest HGH release comes during deep sleep, so lack of sleep affects the ability to burn fat stores. Sleep apnea is an enemy to weight loss.

As we age (after age 40) the pituitary gland slowly starts to cut down how much HGH it produces. Hence we have an increasingly difficult time burning excess fat stores.

Apart from increasing height in children, growth hormone carries out many other metabolic functions such as increasing calcium retention, strengthens and increases the mineralization of the bone, increase in muscle mass through the creation of new cells, promotes lipolysis, resulting in reduction of the adipose tissue (body fat), increases promote synthesis and stimulates the growth of all internal organs, reduces the liver uptake of glucose, an effect that opposes that of insulin, helps in the maintenance of pancreatic islets, promotes liver gluconeogenesis (glucose generation), plays a role in fuel homeostatis and it also stimulates the immune system. (http://www.jintropin.cn/hgh.html)

Bottom line, stop eating carbs late at night if you want to burn body fat.

Read more: How Does Human Growth Hormone Work? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4759518_human-gr owth-hormone-work.html#ixzz1prKqNa6A
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am the EXAct SAME way! I eat a lot at night lately. IT's been fast food which is super bad for you! Plus it turns into fat.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    go to bed earlier....really plan to eat your last meal and be in bed before you can be hungry....if I'm snacking due to boredom than the TV is not that good anyway..
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I exercise after dinner and that helps me (don't want to be bad after I just worked so hard).
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh....this is so me. I insanely crave food at night. I feel like a heroin addict. I don't want, it's not good for me, but I still do it. It seriously is like an addiction. I literally have considered duct taping my mouth shut after 9pm. I just may have to actually do this sometime!

I find it so comforting to eat junk late at night while I unwind, surf the net, and watch trash TV. But it is something I cannot continue to do and be healthy. Despite my rational thinking in this regard, I can stuff food into my mouth. Then I will feel so guilty about it later. This is insane, true insanity.

I have gotten better over these past 6 months. This is what has worked for me....

1. Lots of self talk. Refocus my determination. Pleading with my rational side!
    2. One large scoop of late night peanut butter. It is satisfying and not too bad.
    3. A late night bowl of Fage non-fat, plain Greek yogurt with sugar free vanilla Torani syrup. I never eat artificial sweetener but I do allow my self this.
    4. Eat dinner as late at night as possible. 9pm is ideal.
    5. Limit my carb intake. I don't have as insane, crazy person cravings when I limit my total carb intake.
    6. Tell myself I have an event coming up and I am saving my junk food/dessert intake for then.

Stopping myself from late night eating is achieved by constantly staying vigilant -for life.
  • Jenkat59
    Jenkat59 Posts: 1
    Options
    Okay, so I am brand new to this and not really starting until next week to really watch but a group of us are starting together. If you mean you eat like I eat at night, I get it. I eat fairly healthy during the day and then get home and around 8-10, let the game begin. I start out being sort of good but I go from crackers to chips to cookies to chocolate to ice cream. I am out of control. I used to be a size 8-10 for years and then in my 40's crept up to the 140's. I am almost 53 and I hit 180 awhile back and bounce between 160 and 178 now. I will lose weight and do well and then an occasion comes up where I have a cheat day and next thing you know I am eating everything in sight. Next week 10 of us are going to start supporting each other, talking about our issues and doing Made to Crave. I stopped reading to go through with everyone else but lost 16 lbs. it wasn't about dieting either. I will let you know if I discover any tips but I do relate.