Exercise calories on MFP

Options
Are the exercise calories based on my personal height, weight & age or is it based on an average?

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Get an HRM with a Chest Strap and Calories Burn mode. Do not rely an anything but that.
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    It's based on all your stats :)
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor! These stats on here are usually off for people!
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is, that's why I invested in a heart rate monitor, where those things that you mentioned ARE incorporated in the calculation of the exercise performed. I did use them when I first started. I think they are an underestimated, at least for me, based on what my HRM says.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have never owned a HRM, and I have only used MFP estimates. I have lost plenty of weight just fine. However, definitely err on the side of caution and overestimate your food/underestimate your exercise.
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    It's based on all your stats :)

It also depends on if you are not resting or holding on to the machines, and doing the straight up workout. Usually it's close as long as you don't cheat on the machines :)
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    IDK what they base it off of, but I definitely recommend getting a HRM. I've seen that I actually burn off a lot more calories than what MFP predicts.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    They are likely averages, but I'm losing weight just fine.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It's based on a freaking wild-*kitten* guess. And it is usually waaay off.

Get a HRM! Then you know for sure!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Are the exercise calories based on my personal height, weight & age or is it based on an average?

It's based on weight only. Height, age, and gender don't enter into the calculation.