Hi Everyone! New Here.

Options
Hello! My name is Jen and I am 27 years old. I am from Ocala, Florida and I have two kids, a beautiful girl age 6 and a rambunctious boy age 2.

I have been overweight since about 6th grade, out of nowhere the weight started piling on. I am at my highest now, fluctuating between 250-260. While I have wanted to lose weight for as long as I remember (and as a teen participated in way too many fad and downright dangerous "diets") it has come to the point now where I am very depressed and it has started to affect my marriage.

I pretty much have no motivation to do anything. I don't mind eating healthy because I really do like fruits and veggies but even eating well I find myself not able to ignore my hunger and I snack a lot on crackers, snack cakes, and ice cream. I try not to buy these things but am guilty of the car eating. I will go to the store for groceries and get doughnuts or candy and eat them on the way home. Definitely not my proudest moment.

I don't exercise at all either. The most exercise I get is cleaning and chasing my 2 year old around but every chance I get I sit down. I just feel so tired all of the time.

My partner recently told me he doesn't find me attractive anymore. It wasn't said maliciously, he is generally concerned for me and my health. The thing that gets him the most is my lack of confidence and self-worth. I suppose it should bother me too but I drown my emotions in food, so that pretty much numbs the pain.

I started the site a few days ago when I was supposed to get the ball rolling and I still haven't even gone out to exercise yet. I feel disappointed in myself but I seriously just can't seem to find the will to do it.

I am hoping that getting on here and talking to people, reading everyone's stories, and adding some friends will help me.

I hope you all are having a great day and hope to talk to some of you soon!

Jen

Replies

• foodietrudie
    Options
    I find that seeing others succeed and just being able to see that it is possible is a great motivator. When I first decided to lose weight it was hard for me to keep up with everything i was (and was not!) Supposed to do but seeing other people do it made me want it more! If you need a buddy to help keep you motivated just inbox me I'm always here to help! Goodluck:)
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My dad and two stepsisters and their families live in/near Ocala.
    I have also found looking at the pictures of the success stories helps motivate me. I know it can be overwhelming when you think about how much you need to lose, but taking it little by little and one day at a time helps.
  • jrlja5
    jrlja5 Posts: 59
    Options
    hello!
    feel free to add me! i will do my best to keep you motivated, we're all ink this together and this is a good site to stay focused. Maybe you can just start with taking walks around the neighborhood with those cuties of yours. (sorry to suggest it if you're already doing it). try not to get down, ( I know, easier said than done). But once you start to lose even a pound or two, you'll feel yourself getting emotionally stronger. I always feel better even if the loss is small. Everyone says drink lots of water, and I believe them, but I don't really drink a lot until it's hot out. I'm from New England so that's only about 4 mos. out of the year! You are the lucky duck that lives in the sunny state. So maybe it will be easier for you. Anyway, I am droning on. Like I said feel free to add me and welcome to the journey! You can do it!
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,

Welcome to MFP

Here's the deal for you, and the best advice I can give you from my own experience;

From your starting point, where you are at now, if you start the new lifestyle by counting calories, eating healthy and exercising you can expect to find yourself achieving milestone after milestone in very quick succession. If you apply yourself and really give this a go you will;

Lose weight
    Gain energy, stamina, not get out of breath so easily
    Appreciate good healthy food and quality home cooking
    See the changes in the mirror
    Feel your muscles coming alive, complaining and getting tighter
    Notice your clothes are too big
    Find that you can walk farther and farther
    Feel like you want to run
    Enjoy the wonderful successes of others here and feeling the glow when we praise you for your own accomplishments
    Discover wonderful new food
    Be able to keep up with that rambunctious boy
    Feel healthy, strong, good and alive

There will be the dreaded plateaus and setbacks and frustrations, but take it from me; If you make up your mind and join us in this wonderful marathon of a new lifestyle I guarantee you will see good results and that will be a very addictive thing indeed.

Good Luck!

-V-
  • lilangel317
    lilangel317 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,

I hear you loud and clear and completely understand. I have battled my weight since I was 13. It just seemed to appear overnight. I have been on this site now for 32 days, and let me tell you how much it has made a huge difference. I have already lost 8 pounds and find exercise to be very thearputic as well as invigorating. I encourage you to take one day at a time. Set small goals and take your measurements. There may be times that you don't progress on the scales but you will on the tape measure. Start with one change at a time. Start with getting in the right eating habits and logging your food. I did this the first week and then the second I started walking. I started walking 1 mile in 30 minutes. Now I am up to 1.9 miles in 30 minutes. I would love to be an encouragement to you. You CAN do this and your mate will get his woman back. Make up your mind and don't let ANYONE discourage you, including yourself. Add me and we will travel this journey together. Look forward to getting to know you better.
  • pxkjmeandmine
    Options
    This journey is fairly new to me but as others have posted, you draw your motivation from the stories/success of other MFP friends. I am much heavier than you and exercise is something I really have never done, recently I started just walking to the corner, then two blocks and so on I now walk six blocks to one mile the next step is doing it consistently. When you're in the store buy fruit or the 100 calorie snacks to eat while driving. You can add me as a friend and we can help each other. Good luck on your journey!!!!!
  • hollyelee
    hollyelee Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi! I weight 267 lbs. I haven't weight less than 200 in a long time. I just had a baby and am constantly busy with him (he's 6 months). I understand so completely what you're going through. I have the same thing with that I don't eat all that bad. I have a huge problem with portions. But I don't exercise at all! I'm just too tired! When I start exercising my joints start hurting! I will get flu like symptoms! It's weird! Plus who likes to sweat? Sweating is gross! I get depressed too a lot. I'm also bipolar so that doesn't help!

But! This isn't healthy and we all know it ya know? I worked in a doctor's office for several years and I saw the effects of obesity a LOT. People would come in with diabetes, blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. Then there are the people that come in complaining of hip and knee pain. Guess what? If you lose weight... you wouldn't hurt so much! And what's so scary is i'm starting to experience weird knee pain. I'm not even an active enough person to have knee pain. But I know it's because of the weight. I've never weighed this much till now!

Today was the first time I exercised! I only exercised for about 10-15 minutes but it was still something. Start small! Could you maybe walk around your neighborhood?? Take your child for a walk, let them get some sunshine! The more sunshine you get the better you will feel. I"m one to talk. I"m a ghost and never go outside but it's true. The vitamin D will help!

I'm so so sorry your partner said that to you. Even if it wasn't malicious it still hurt you. I cannot imagine how hurt you felt. :(
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    welcome.. feel free to add me if you want.
  • stickwithme
    stickwithme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You can start by not being disappointed with what you're doing! If you're hard on yourself, you'll find it hard to get motivated.
    One of the very reasons I piled on the weight was because I was down on myself for the few that I'd put on. You've already made a good start by signing up!
    I've been on for about a month now, but have only being logging my food and occasionally exercise. But I've found just doing that alone is keeping me focused and is helping me to keep myself in check a little bit. I've lost 7 lb since the start of May just by doing that.

I think change has to be gradual otherwise it doesn't stick for very long. That goes for any change. And we also need to give ourselves some slack, otherwise we use up all our energy unproductively!

Take care
  • 50lan
    50lan Posts: 11
    Options
    thx
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I was where you are a few months ago.

But I changed my lifestyle, and I have gone from 262lbs to 232lbs. Not a huge loss by any means, but this journey is a marathon, not a sprint.

I had to dig myself out of the whole I buried myself in. I had to get more active, even if I didn't want to. I still don't want to a lot of days, because I'm just not "there" yet where I love being active (a lot of it has to to do with my lack of energy due to genetic health problems)

As painful as it is for me to admit it, I have only now gotten down to my husbands weight, and I still have a good 50-70lbs to lose.

It gets better, it gets easier. I promise.

SW: 262
    CW: 232
    GW: 180 and beyond
    Height: 5'7
    Days logged in: 135 consecutive days thus far.
  • Maggie821
    Maggie821 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen! Welcome to the MFP family; I am impressed by your honesty and openness in your blog; you have taken a huge first step in gaining your life back. The best advice I can give you is to start out with small steps, otherwise it is just too overwhelming! Sure, there are people out there who can "do it all" or at least tell you they do, but this is a lifestyle change, not a diet, and there are going to be ups and downs. Start out by adding more veggies into your meals, and eat them first! Replace one of your "not so good" snacks with fresh fruit - now that summer is here, there is so many delicious options! For your exercise, take the kids out for walks twice a day, and get your significant other to join in! Tell him that you need his support; our loved ones are often the ones that derail us on this journey!

Please feel free to add me as a friend! You can do this!
  • letgo79
    letgo79 Posts: 25
    Options
    Jen, thank yo for sharing your story. I am new to MFP too. Remember It's our healh, we need to take charge!
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi, I myself just started about a week ago. I am 50 and have been overweight ALL my life to. I am at the point in my life that i have a 9 yr old and i want to be here for her when she's older. I work all day so I am tired but have MADE myself get out and walk daily. I have my daughter ride her bike while i walk. Put your baby in the stroller and go around the block a few times. Not only will it be good for you but ( he / she ) will enjoy it. start slow that was you wont burn yourself out. Good luck and anyone looking for a friend can add me . I need all the help & encouragement i can get.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking that first big step! I stay motivated by reading the success stories on here, they are quite amazing. Knowing that others have been there and seeing what they have done, makes me realize the I too can do this. Good luck on this wonderful life changing journey, take one day at a time. You can succeed .
  • JDavis352
    JDavis352 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi. I read your post and I can relate to how you feel. I decided 2 years ago to finally take control of my life and my thoughts about myself and realized I am worth it,I am awesome and I need to change to make me happy. I've lost 69 pounds so it is possible you can do this.