Why am I not losing weight on 1200 cal a day and exercising

Options

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. You are not eating nearly enough and, in fact, you're in dangerous territory with some 800 calories. You're also not getting nearly enough protein. I don't know about the sodium. I didn't see that. But you need to stay within the right range on that.

You should go to fat2fitradio.com and use their tools to figure out what you really need. Then, eat that and do not eat back exercise calories.

Your body is now in starvation mode. It is burning muscle and saving back the fat in order to survive.

If you do as I suggest, I think you'll find you begin losing weight and feeling better.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Look at the posts on this list...especially "the answers to the questions" I promise there's tons of information here, most of it more thoroughly sourced and documented, but the gist is going to be that you're not feeding your body enough for it to take care of itself.

good luck, you can do it!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    1. eat more
    2. ?????
    3. Profit

This made me laugh and laugh and laugh.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I had debated about posting this, and very glad I did, Thanks for the Info!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine the FitBit getting bad reviews -- I've been using mine since Oct. and wear it everywhere including to bed to calculate my sleep... there is a group of FitBit users here on MFP..... and I agree that you need to eat more to loose weight, just be sure to keep carbs and sugars low.
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Check out the group 'eat more to weigh less' . You have to feed your body if you want it to let go of fat. When I stopped eating a low fat diet and started embracing good fats, my body started shedding fat.

If you are eating too little, then your body will hold onto the food you are eating, every time. I'm eating 1800 calories and moderately active and losing 2lbs + a week.

Bump up your protein and fat. Eat good healthy food and move your body.

You gotta eat to lose!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am having the very same problem! I can't seem to lose any weight, its like I plateaued after losing 8lbs and I have almost 50 to lose to be healthy or even like myself for that matter. If you find the answer let me know please!!!

even if she finds the answer for herself, if won't necessarily work for you. but the above suggestions to increase calories, increase cardio intensity, and add strength training are all very good places to start ;)
  • AlanaMaree55
    AlanaMaree55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    WOW...This is the first time I have looked at the board since I joined 3 months ago...well...seriously joined and started working out and watching! I learned a lot here...I am having the same problem! Because I am doing an hour of Walk Away the pounds and an hour of areobic swim...I am burning about 1000 calories a day! Can't seem to eat more than 1200...and it leaves me with 1000 calories left. AND I have only lost 6 lbs! I will try everyone's suggestion's too...and EAT more especially protein! This is so helpful everyone! Thanks a bunch!
  • Heyyleigh
    Options
    Thanks for the info.. Seriously if u look it up on the internet, it was crazy bad. I read them on Amazon too.
  • VannessaKss
    Options
    Hello Heyylelgh , you know , this is also happening to me , i went with a nutritionist because i was eating really bad and i thought that was the best option , she gave me a 1040 cal diet and i haven't lose anything it makes me feel bad , i fully understand you , and like others have told you hormones can be the cause of the problem, only the time will tell for me , hope you get to the bottom of this . Good luck with that :) .
  • Melysa1988
    Melysa1988 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Track your sodium and suger. it will make a big diffrence.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    PMS and hormones - I gain anywhere from 2-4 pounds the week of my cycle, every month, without fail.
    When are you weighing yourself? The time of day can really change your weight - I'm always about 1.5 lbs heavier at night.
    Maybe your body needs more fuel than you're giving it - I alternate about every week or two between a 1200 calorie base and a 1400 calorie base. I guess it keeps my metabolism on it's toes?

And also have you been watching your sodium intake? Because your body is retaining more water on high sodium foods so which is why you see a sudden weight gain. Have you been doing a new workout? When you do a new workout, you're experiencing muscle soreness which will also cause water retention that can also add up pounds. Those 3 lb. gain is obviously from water & not fat, however those are only temporary & soon it will come off.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would replace the coffee mate calories with some good good calories like eggs , cheeses, nuts ect.
  • Heyyleigh
    Options
    awwwwwwwwwwww give up my last favorite thing, my coffee mate! I have been considering it as well. I am so sad!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I would replace the coffee mate calories with some good good calories like eggs , cheeses, nuts ect.

You don't have to completely give up coffee mate. Coffee is my staple & I would never ever give up coffee mate. I hate black coffee. I use coffee mate the 25% less fat one. Just make sure to follow the serving size (5g or a teaspoon)

EDIT: I think there is also the fat-free one however it doesn't mean its calorie free so you also need to watch out your portions
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    maybe you can reduce your calorie even more say from 1200 to 500 then exercise more, perhaps double your effort.

good luck, let us know if this works. cheers,
  • serriberri
    Options
    Try eating more food. It seems counter-productive, but it works. Dunno why - I'm not a health expert. But eating too far under my caloric needs has never helped me lose weight in the long run. I think maybe your body gets more efficient at burning calories when there are so few to spare, so it works against yourself.

And don't worry about "starvation mode". That's term is thrown around pretty often without merit. Here's an awesome article to read about why "starvation mode" isn't applicable to most dieters.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/
  • LatinLunatic
    Options
    don't worry too much about it. I have been on a medical weight loss program with about 30 people. we ate 960 calories for 17 weeks and every once in while someone would somehow still manage to gain some weight. It can happen sometimes. Just keep at it. After 20 weeks, I have almost lost 100 lbs.
  • Heyyleigh
    Options
    crazy awesome wight loss!
  • Heyyleigh
    Options
    Agreed, I also think I actually have more than I post, Its not an exact science... I don't like the low fat one or fat free. ;) Everytime I try to give it up I get sad.............. giving up tea was a real hard thing. I love splenda in coffee, but hate it in tea. This is the only thing bad I do, I think. Good luck to you too!!!