SUGAR Info

Options
Regarding tracking your sugar intake:

I am often WAY over in grams of sugar per day (from milk, fruit, cottage cheese, maybe the odd candy lol) but almost always within my caloric allowance. Does this mean I am still on the right track or am I slowing down the process by eating too much sugar? Is it just about calories? All this confuses me. Any advice would be appriciated.

Replies

9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Well for me it about cals. I have noticed that if I try and keep my cals. to around 1050-2125 I am usually will in range but if I don't excercise I am always over aon a few of the items that I track.
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm with you on this one, I'm already over 21 grams. Any help please let us know!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    If you have cut your sugars back enough to curb your cravings, you are probably where you need to be. I find if I eat too much sugars, its bound to make me crave more and send me off the deep end.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Since your sugars from fruits and not from refined sugar I wouldn't worry about it.
  • 08sweek
    08sweek Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As long as the sugars you are eating are mostly healthy sugars, then there is little to worry about. Naturally occuring sugars, such as those found in fruit, are impossible to avoid. It is important to watch the types of sugar you're eating in things such as breads or cereals. These tend to be high-fructose corn syrup types which are unnatural for your body to digest. Now, I'm not slamming all HFCS, a limited intake is just important. Eating Special K with HFCS is FAR BETTER than eating Little Debbies full of HFCS. The more natural the sugar, the more likely it is better for you to eat. Don't stress too much about sugar levels if you know they are coming from good-for-you foods. At least, that is the way I've always viewed it. If eating oatmeal and a banana overs my sugar limit, at least I have the energy for my run at the end of the day! :happy:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    it depends on what type of sugar you're eating. if its sugar from things like fruit and milk, then don't worry about it. If a lot of the sugar is refined, such as candy, granola bars, juice, etc. then you'll need to cut back.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm always over in sugar as I like to eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. I don't worry about it - I only track sugar to find out where I may be eating hidden sugar. As long as it's from fruit I can live with it.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Fruit is one thing...juices and refined sugars are another animal.

Here's a good video on sugar consumption presented by Dr. Robert H. Lustig, MD. (Pediatrician, Endocrinologist)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Video above is 90 minutes but is quite frankly, fascinating.
  • 08sweek
    08sweek Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fruit is one thing...juices and refined sugars are another animal.

Here's a good video on sugar consumption presented by Dr. Robert H. Lustig, MD. (Pediatrician, Endocrinologist)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Bump! for the video. :happy:
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I don't know about any of you, but MFP only allows me 24g of sugar, I can kill that in with no problem eating vegetables and a (as in 1) fruit.

I checked with another site that just does the calorie, carb, fats, and all that stuff and calculates what you should be getting too. That site gives me 64g of sugar a day..........So I compromised, I give myself 44g a day. I still go over occasionally , but not everyday like before. I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but it makes me feel a little better. Everything else seems to be the same as on here.

The other site is not a weight loss site, just the calculator. I told my husband that I believe MFP will be a part of my life from now on.

http://www.dietitian.com/calcbody.php

Just found this interesting article on wikianswers (sourced from another site)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_of_sugar_are_appropriate_per_day_for_the_average_adult
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Regarding tracking your sugar intake:

I am often WAY over in grams of sugar per day (from milk, fruit, cottage cheese, maybe the odd candy lol) but almost always within my caloric allowance. Does this mean I am still on the right track or am I slowing down the process by eating too much sugar? Is it just about calories? All this confuses me. Any advice would be appriciated.

It's good to keep track of what you are consuming and how much of that is carb, protein, sugar, fat, sodium, various nutrients, etc., and to keep it in moderation, however, unless you are on a sugar-restricted diet because of diabetes, or some other condition, it's not too important if you go over the MFP recommended amount, slightly, especially if you are mainly getting it from natural sources such as fruits and veggies. Remember: it is just a guide! The concern is when you consume a lot of "free-sugar," which is essentially added sugar to foods that didn't grow that way. There are a few natural foods that are high on the glycemic index, and if you are following that type of diet (diet as in lifestyle, not fad), then you should avoid potatoes, corn, raisins, and bananas. So, if you are consuming healthy, natural, full fiber foods, eating at the proper times to keep your GI balanced, and are staying within your allotted calories, then you should be just fine!

All the best on your journey!

Susie :flowerforyou:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Video above is 90 minutes but is quite frankly, fascinating.

Ohhhh myyyyy gosshhhhhh!!!! THANK YOU FOR THIS VID!!!!!
  • Shera
    Shera Posts: 10
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for all the info you guys.. I am less worried now. Still going over, but like I said mostly fruit. Thanks for making me not feel like I'm sabotaging my fitness plan.

You guys are great! (Haven't watched the Video yet, but will asap. Thanks again!)