Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Wendler 5/3/1 Anyone Else Doing It (Heavy Lifters)

Good evening MFP! I just started the Wendler 5/3/1 strength training program after wrapping up one round of Stronglifts 5x5 and I absolutely love it! Anyone else doing this? If not, what are you doing and how do you like the results of your respective program so far? Anyone has anything unique that they do for accessory work? Let's Hear it Heavy Lifters!

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    it's an amazing intermediate program to do after getting a good base through SL or SS. so not surprised you're enjoying it.

Personally I'm on a template similar to PHAT.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    I'm doing the triumvirate. Personally I like the cyclical pattern, as well as having a whole week where I look forward to breaking PRs.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    I'm doing Big but Boring! Instead of the dumbell rows though, I'm doing my barbell rows. I also go a little heavier on the "same lift" accessory lifts because the suggested weights are too light. This is my first week, but I'm very surprised at how sore I am, lol! I do like how you can go as many reps as you want on the working sets though :) I've never heard of PHAT, what's that?
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    I'm doing Big but Boring! Instead of the dumbell rows though, I'm doing my barbell rows. I also go a little heavier on the "same lift" accessory lifts because the suggested weights are too light. This is my first week, but I'm very surprised at how sore I am, lol! I do like how you can go as many reps as you want on the working sets though :) I've never heard of PHAT, what's that?
    Well, assuming your weights are correct, it should be mire a matter of how much you can do rather than how much you want to do. ;p
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Cool thread, would love to participate in discussion. I did 5/3/1 for about a year and had some good results from it. I tried BBB but I didn't care much for it. The 2nd edition manual has a better accessory template setup, if you don't have the book get it.

I personally have started following the Westside method and am enjoying it more because it's not based on pure percentages, which I feel things like SL's and 5/3/1 to be a bit limiting. But don't let me steer you away from 5/3/1 because it is very solid.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I'm almost finished with my first round. I'm in the deload week now. I'm doing two days a week and for my accessory work I'm doing a lot of body weight work so pull ups, chin ups, dips, push ups. I do weighted lunges and step ups too. For core work I'm doing turkish get ups, hanging leg raises, and planks. I'm also doing DB press and barbell rows.
  • JNick77
    After doing Westside for a while I think I would approach 5/3/1 differently if I decided to do it again. I think I would drop the 5/3/1 days to 3, just focusing on Bench, Shoulders, and Legs. I'd work to a point where I start to stall and instead of doing a reset I would swap exercises. Something like,

Bench Press Day -> Follow the cycle, cycle, cycle, stall --> switch to Floor Press - My Floor Press weight is approximately 95% of my Bench Press weight so I'd drop it to 90% of what I was doing and start from there and do that for 3 weeks then switch back. You could also do Pin Presses or even Close-Grip Bench Press.

I say that because to me it seemed like a full reset was counterproductive for me in that my body would get use to lifting the heavier weight and then I'd reset and drop back to some stupidly light weight and then months later when I was back to the heavier weight it was still difficult, still stalled. With Westside, there isn't a 100% focus on just the bench press or just the deadlift every week. They split it up into 3 week blocks and don't always train the competition lifts. Some don't even do full Back Squats until a couple weeks before competition and all off-season is focusrf on Box Squats or Trap Bar Deadlifts, focus on weaknesses. Then I'd use a 4th day for some Dynamic Effort Work.
  • brent_corkins
    brent_corkins Posts: 3 Member
    Love 5/3/1.. Wendler is a Genius when it comes to finding a straightforward program. Admittedly he doesnt know alot about nutirtion, but I like he dosnet claim to. DOnt know if youve read the 2nd edition. But I am on a deload week this week and may start the fullbody template soon.
  • octosilver
    octosilver Posts: 23
    What are some of the numbers you guys are getting out of this?
  • JNick77
    Love 5/3/1.. Wendler is a Genius when it comes to finding a straightforward program. Admittedly he doesnt know alot about nutirtion, but I like he dosnet claim to. DOnt know if youve read the 2nd edition. But I am on a deload week this week and may start the fullbody template soon.

Have you seen a pic of his upper body? He's actually got some good definition to him, I wouldn't mind his physique at all. :)
  • victoria4321

I'm a girl so I don't know if it matters to you but my numbers are

Deadlift: 230
    Squat 195
    OH Press: 80
    Bench: 95

I'm 5'3 and weigh 134 too
  • JNick77

Squat 195

Nice, almost 2x your body weight in the DL!!!
  • victoria4321

Squat 195

Thanks! Now if I could always make the upper body catch up faster lol
  • JNick77

Squat 195

Thanks! Now if I could always make the upper body catch up faster lol

Yeah, I'm frustrated with that too. My DL and Squat are coming along nicely and I'll definitely hit my 2x BW goal this year but my bench is stalled and I'm not sure that I'll hit the 1.5x BW goal this year. I just started the full Westside Barbell club system so we'll see. I really like it so far but I suddenly got hit with Tennis Elbow and my upper body work will definitely suffer. My DL may actually suffer too.
  • fastbackdan
    fastbackdan Posts: 21 Member
    Wendler 5/3/1 + Caloric Surplus = Strength and Quality Mass

cant argue it bro, its like science
  • MarceloPCR
    MarceloPCR Posts: 6 Member
    I tried Wendler's for about 3 months and had amazing resulsts. I used Dave Tate Periodization Bible as assistance work because I like some more volume.
    Afterwards I've been doing PHAT for 2 months and the results are amazing but the volume is getting too much to handle. Being in the gym almost 2h per day is just too much for me right now, especially since I'm cycling off caffeine and pre-workout drinks. I'm going too go back to Wendler's and stick to it for a year.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    I did 5/3/1 for a year and had some success with it. I made Westside my assistance.

M - 5/3/1 Bench + max effort bench (pin press, board press, heavy singles, etc) and a lot of pulling movements
    T - 5/3/1 Squat + speed squat (box squat 6x3 30 sec rest)
    Th - 5/3/1 OHP + speed bench (6x3 paused 30 sec rest) and a lot of pulling
    F - 5/3/1 DL + max effort squat (GM's, usually)

In six months I put 39 lbs on my squat and 39 on my bench (between two PL meets). DL didn't do as well, but I went from a gym best 335x5 to 415x11.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    It's a great program.
    I got to around a 330 squat, 225 bench, and 450 deadlift while following it.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    5/3/1 is still just sort of a template. You can arrange the assistance\accessory however you like to a degree.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    I start my Cycle 2 next week. I am also doing the 2 day routine. I love this program. I also have his 2nd edition and it is full of very good information. I have my wife and mother/father in laws on his program as well. The BBB is a killer, but I like it.