BMI for African Americans/Blacks/Browns

Options

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

There are many many MANY healthy weight, well educated, middle class black women who would TAKE ISSUE with your opinion of what "black culture" is!

Exactly so. The funny thing is, if it's behavior or attitudes that are negative, self-destructive, and verging on the stereotypical it gets the "authentically black" stamp. If it's behavior and attitudes tending to lead to healthier lives, prosperity, and respect, it's "acting white." (For some members of the black community.)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

There are many many MANY healthy weight, well educated, middle class black women who would TAKE ISSUE with your opinion of what "black culture" is!

Exactly so.

I would too but at the same time I wouldnt deny that a lot whats commenly seen as "black culture" is defined by black people at the poverty level which is sad. I guess being well off and middle class isnt significent or different enough to stand out on its own.
  • victoria4321
    Options

Exactly so. The funny thing is, if it's behavior or attitudes that are negative, self-destructive, and verging on the stereotypical it gets the "authentically black" stamp. If it's behavior and attitudes tending to lead to healthier lives, prosperity, and respect, it's "acting white." (For some members of the black community.)

Yup. I didnt see this until after the edit but this is exactly so.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Your right about the true southern staple. To this day my grandfather eats the healthy southern way. Little to no meat but lots of beans, rice, veggies, fruits, et..... Different combinations........he's 94 and ticking and still looks good. That's a blessing.

Don't know if this applies to your Grand Dad, but it may have been a different situation for poor black Southerners who could not afford to eat meat regularly and who had physically demanding jobs. That's not the case today. Soul Food is not known for being healthy.

That's because somehow "soul food" became all of the food that used to only be available on special occasions. Somehow, someone decided all of those things should be daily fare, and that's when they problems started.

We have been hyping up the Mediterranean diet for a while now as the epitome of health. But the thing is, they aren't having the fried cheese, baklava and other "treats" every day. That stuff if for celebrations. The same philosophy we should have with the fried chicken, sweet potato pie, BBQ ribs, and the pound cake.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Your right about the true southern staple. To this day my grandfather eats the healthy southern way. Little to no meat but lots of beans, rice, veggies, fruits, et..... Different combinations........he's 94 and ticking and still looks good. That's a blessing.

Don't know if this applies to your Grand Dad, but it may have been a different situation for poor black Southerners who could not afford to eat meat regularly and who had physically demanding jobs. That's not the case today. Soul Food is not known for being healthy.

That's because somehow "soul food" became all of the food that used to only be available on special occasions. Somehow, someone decided all of those things should be daily fare, and that's when they problems started.

We have been hyping up the Mediterranean diet for a while now as the epitome of health. But the thing is, they aren't having the fried cheese, baklava and other "treats" every day. That stuff if for celebrations. The same philosophy we should have with the fried chicken, sweet potato pie, BBQ ribs, and the pound cake.

Bit of a derailment, but the greek orthadox church fasts more than half the days in a year. The success of the mediterranean diet is more so due to this rather than the food.
  • milkdudd0486
    milkdudd0486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    By American Standards I am 2.3% overweight, I should be weighing around 155, which means I need 2 lose about 20 lbs...I weighed 174.2, BMI was 27.3, BP was 110/74, Total Cholesterol was 117, HDL 58, nonHDL 59, Glucose 73, my fat was 41.2%, I am suppose to be in a range of 21-33%, Fat Mass was 71.81, suppose 2 be 27.2-50.41 range & they said I shud eat 1565 to maintain my weight...EXCUSE ME, BUT WHERE IS THE AFRICAN AMERICAN/BLACK & BROWN FOLKS BODY MASS INDEX LOCATED??? Cuz the folks in the south say Im a HEALTHY weight & I think I nd 2 create anotha type of BMI!!!!!!!! I am heavy in the hips & thighs & I think I look good just like I am, these standards are so not realistic!!!! BMI 4 Blacks is a need, we are circumferenced different!!!!!

all i can say is im black and no matter how much weight i lose i will always be considered overweight according to the standard bmi chart. and im a nurse and this is something me and my doctor i work with have discussed. i have curves in all the right places and im not trying to lose them. im 5'1 1/2 and im sorry but i never see myself weighing what "they" say im suppose to weight. 100lbs get outta here.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    By American Standards I am 2.3% overweight, I should be weighing around 155, which means I need 2 lose about 20 lbs...I weighed 174.2, BMI was 27.3, BP was 110/74, Total Cholesterol was 117, HDL 58, nonHDL 59, Glucose 73, my fat was 41.2%, I am suppose to be in a range of 21-33%, Fat Mass was 71.81, suppose 2 be 27.2-50.41 range & they said I shud eat 1565 to maintain my weight...EXCUSE ME, BUT WHERE IS THE AFRICAN AMERICAN/BLACK & BROWN FOLKS BODY MASS INDEX LOCATED??? Cuz the folks in the south say Im a HEALTHY weight & I think I nd 2 create anotha type of BMI!!!!!!!! I am heavy in the hips & thighs & I think I look good just like I am, these standards are so not realistic!!!! BMI 4 Blacks is a need, we are circumferenced different!!!!!

all i can say is im black and no matter how much weight i lose i will always be considered overweight according to the standard bmi chart. and im a nurse and this is something me and my doctor i work with have discussed. i have curves in all the right places and im not trying to lose them. im 5'1 1/2 and im sorry but i never see myself weighing what "they" say im suppose to weight. 100lbs get outta here.

I want your doctor! I hadn't looked at the BMI chart for awhile, and I could have SWORN that 155 would get me in the "healthy" zone, so that was my goal, with maybe 5 more, just so I was in the "healthy" category at all times of the day, not just in the morning. I looked at it again today and it was 145 just to get to a healthy BMI, so 140 to have a little wiggle room... I haven't seen 140 in a long time, and things I did to get there before were not healthy.
    I think I'll be pretty happy with 150, eating well and exercising, but I really wanted to get into that healthy category, and let the Dr. lectures end... :ohwell: I wish my Dr. would have a little more individual conversation, rather than just showing me a chart (which I can look up without an MD)...
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Regardless of race, excess weight makes your heart work harder. Even if it's your booty...
  • victoria4321
    Options

I want your doctor! I hadn't looked at the BMI chart for awhile, and I could have SWORN that 155 would get me in the "healthy" zone, so that was my goal, with maybe 5 more, just so I was in the "healthy" category at all times of the day, not just in the morning. I looked at it again today and it was 145 just to get to a healthy BMI, so 140 to have a little wiggle room... I haven't seen 140 in a long time, and things I did to get there before were not healthy.
    I think I'll be pretty happy with 150, eating well and exercising, but I really wanted to get into that healthy category, and let the Dr. lectures end... :ohwell: I wish my Dr. would have a little more individual conversation, rather than just showing me a chart (which I can look up without an MD)...
    You want a dr that says its okay to be overweight?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

No one says you should weigh 100lbs. I'm the same height as you and I don't weigh 100lbs.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    OP, you do look really good and sexy, but in my opinion, 41% bodyfat isn't healthy, regardless of race. That being said, I kinda do see your point, because I would look nowhere near that good with the same bodyfat %age.

BMI is a ridiculous and outdated tool anyway--it's a shame insurance companies and others still rely on it. However the issue you raised could get really dicey, don't you think? For example, my children are mixed race (my hubby is black), so what would they use for their BMI? What about their children's BMI? Let's face it, most people are such a racial mixture nowadays, it would be next to impossible to implement different BMI calculations for different races. Let's just dump BMI altogether, shall we? :flowerforyou:
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Interesting............
    If BMI became based on race you'd have to include an average of everyone int he race. Us africans are smaller because when i was young and i saw my food being grown and walking miles and miles a day, school market and playing outside. Nothin was readily available you had to go get it. We did not have this image of too skinny, but never hesistated to say hey you are big. Yes, the african american women and men were mated to produce bigger and stronger workers, but where were these bigger people in the 60s and 70s and even part of the 80s? Consider diet, how things are readily avaible to be consumed and how my cousins got bigger once they got here. People are not exercising enough and they are eating whatever they want. BMI no BMI still got to be healthy.

Want to add that as a nurse i always ask people how they feel, i truly believe weren't all meanto be the same weight. Some people can't hack it overweight and some people thrive on it. I had to go from 130-135 to get pregnant, so consider your life and how you feel. If getting up a flight of stairs feels like exercise and you are ok with that for yourself then by all means do it until the day you get tired of grabbing at straws and decide to do something for you. My husband is a square of man with the black man booty and love handles...........at 5'8 190 the military says too big but with 16% body fat they give him a pass, but he himself is trying to find ways to decrease in weight and body fat %.

I have said alot, but think about what is being passed on to future generations...........This thread started sounding very much like the push for ebonics as an official language or the funny comments like 'you are well spoken'...............
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    BMI is a ridiculous and outdated tool anyway--it's a shame insurance companies and others still rely on it. However the issue you raised could get really dicey, don't you think? For example, my children are mixed race (my hubby is black), so what would they use for their BMI? What about their children's BMI? Let's face it, most people are such a racial mixture nowadays, it would be next to impossible to implement different BMI calculations for different races. Let's just dump BMI altogether, shall we? :flowerforyou:

Same in my case being a Hispanic of mixed White (Spanish & Mexican) & Asian (Filipino) background. I weigh a lot more than Asians & definitely I cannot fit the Asian BMI standards. My bone density is much higher than a regular Asian. I was "obese" in Asian BMI even if my body fat was only 27% & BMI was 27. Right now with my BMI of 22+, I'm "bordering" between normal & overweight in Asian BMI standards however my body fat is only at 20%. A standard BMI is more applicable to me.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    My husband is a square of man with the black man booty and love handles...........at 5'8 190 the military says too big but with 16% body fat they give him a pass, but he himself is trying to find ways to decrease in weight and body fat %.

I have said alot, but think about what is being passed on to future generations...........This thread started sounding very much like the push for ebonics as an official language or the funny comments like 'you are well spoken'...............

Informed people know that BMI is very limited. It was interesting to read about your husband. In another thread, people were saying that insurers and the Army would turn you down just on BMI. I said I couldn't believe that you would be rejected if you could show that you had a low body fat percentage, which is what your husband did. I understand he's not happy with his state of fitness, but he's not complaining about the BMI being unfair while 41% fat.

I agree with your criticisms about people who were arguing for different standards. It did resemble the "Ebonics" arguments. They're dangerous for African Americans and other blacks of African ancestry in America.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

You can't generalize. I'm 5"2" and have weighed 100 pounds or less during much of my life. I've known many other slim African Americans.

Don't confuse cultural (American and some black culture) and economic problems with race.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    When the military does not need people aka cutting numbers they put all kinds of stipulations on those who can join. For a mintue they were taking everyone. Also the military can give different reasons for rejecting you but if they really want you they will find ways to get you. They really wanted him plus when he joined he was within range for everything, do what you can to get in they say and once you are in and you do they try to keep you.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options

I want a Dr. that looks at my health more comprehensively than simply looking at a scale and a chart. For the money I spend on healthcare, I think it's ridiculous that the only conversation ever had is a glance at the scale, a 5 second conversation that tells me my BMI, and that is it. I think if Drs are going to initiate the conversation (and they should), then they should offer more help, nutritionists, body fat % and other health markers.
    I think I was pretty clear. I said "I wish my Dr. would have an individual conversation, rather than showing me a chart (which I can look up without an MD). I'm not looking for a pass, but I do think that BMI is not the best tool, and I don't understand why it is being used on an individual basis when it was meant to look at populations. My Doctor has any number of tools at his hand, which he could use to give me and him a clear look at my health status and help me set goals for my own fitness, and when I tried to broach that topic, he suggested that I join the expensive private health center here in town.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

It is completely fine to be "a little" overweight. In fact many studies have people who are 10-20% overweight living longer than everyone else. Being "a lot" overweight is the problem. But "a lot" can differ quite a bit on different bodies. Especially if you carry all extra weight around the waist.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The statement black women are "fat" because we want to be in a bit overboard...for beginners I dont think obesity has anything to do with race or targets any specific ethnicty...My 6 year old son according to the BMI is overweight and he looks like one of the children on tv that people campaign for to "feed them"...with that being said..i think losing weight is different for everyone..someone can try a method and it works for them and another do the same and it doesn't...so you have to do whats best for you and if you feel you are good and confident with the way you are they hey do you...but its threads like these that have pre-teen girls in the bathroom regurgitating their food because ppl have it in the heads that people are fat because they "want to be"...

To say that all black women want to be fat, or that all of them are fat because they want to be may be a bit overboard, but that still doesn't change the fact that there is a cultural preference of "bigger is better," even when it actually crosses the line into obesity related diseases. As evidenced in several places here, there is a stigma in the black community against wanting to be a healthy weight, and that being overweight/obese (even if they don't think of it that way), especially among women, is culturally encouraged.

It's important to remember that the "black community" is not monolithic. I was not raised to think that bigger is better. There are people in my family who are very overweight. They're not happy about it. My view may be a minority one, but I am certainly not unique among African Americans and other people of some African ancestry.

Generalities will always have exceptions. It doesn't change the overall tendencies. Additionally, as I stated previously, I don't think it's a "black" thing, but rather, a "country" and/or "southern" thing, as the same tendencies and focus on food is prevalent among non-black country/southern cultures, as well.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Understand, the article in question is an Op Ed piece in the NY Times! This woman CHOSE to use statistics taken out of context to make HER point and JUSTIFY HER Opinion. The PERSON that SEARCHED for this Piece of GARBAGE and Posted it on THIS THREAD is just the type of Audience that the article writer is writing to....someone to whom she can sell her books, and come off as an Expert on Black/African Culture. The article writer is probably as far removed from AA Culture as the queen of England. BUT because she is AA/Black she has been somehow given a pass to say things about AA/Black women that if a white person said she/he would be called a Racist and what they wrote would be taken for what it is... Hate Speak. Look at how she describes AA Women, using OLD RACIST Stereotypes to denigrate a whole group of women! LOOK/TRULY READ with understanding what she has written AND THINK about the person who USED THAT ARTICLE to ATTACK AA/Black Women in THIS THREAD! Truly, do Black women "ACT" any different than any other woman in society (under the Same circumstances/conditions...) NO. This article was an attack on a general Ethnic characteristic (Body Type)...thick hips/butt/thighs, and this characteristic IS most pervasive in certain regions of Africa (and some places in Europe) where most of Blacks Ancestry originated from.

I know how to use data to manipulate what I want to prove. This data does not break down statistically into economic groups, education...The article writer did NOT really talk about obesity, its possible causes or possible solutions. She did NOT put in her article that White Women WEIGHT and BMI has risen the FASTEST and MOST over the last 50 years than other women. To Me that is VERY Important; Or That Black men weight has risen LESS than EVERYONE over the last 50 years BUT, STILL, Black men have MORE Co-Morbidities than ANY group and their LIFE expectancy is the Lowest of ANY Group. Her basic premiss and conclusion: 3 out of 4 Black women are obese, therefore it is because they want to be obese based on "Perceived Cultural Norms and Morals." (A notion of OLD RACIST Stereotypes used on TV, Radio...to degrade Black Women just as the Amos and Andy, Lightning, Bojangles Stereotype is/was used to degrade AA/Black men.) AND some Black people have bought into these stereotypes and try to emulate them (the NEW RACIST STEREOTYPE is the head bobbing, junk talking, big mouth, hands on hip Black Woman.) I NEVER saw one until I started seeing Blacks on TV back in the day, like 1965; THEN I saw REAL Black Women emulating these creatures to the point that you actually see this in the "Culture." It MUST be understood what this article writer has done, she has attacked a whole GROUP of Specific Women (she made NO distinctions) based on IMMUTABLE ETHNIC Characteristics and Racist Stereotypes. AND the person who posted this article HAS bought into that article and that IS the way she/he views AA/Black Women...All Because ONE Black Woman ( who is probably as Culturally removed from what is going on in Black Culture as Clarance Thomas) broad stroked all. We don't need a "Cultural Body Revolution," we need the TRUTH told about our Culture WITHOUT all of the Lying/Degrading Stereotypes that so many have bought into. But she IS entitled to her opinion NO matter the basis.

So, your issue(s) are with the woman who wrote the article. SHE and the person who injected it into this Thread, is/are the one that Broad Stroked EVERY Black/AA Woman in THIS Country. I guess those of us Black Women who are on MFP and other sites trying like Heyyal to get our Health and weight right REALLY want to be fat and Unhealthy and die early and before we die SUFFER horribly with all types of diseases that deform us and make our "little bit" of life horrible. For nearly 20 years I/we all saw OPRAH WINFREY STRUGGLE with obesity, the struggle and pain she went through...and she was wealthy and beloved and had nutritionist, cooks, money to buy the "right" foods, all at her beckon call. Did SHE WANT to be Obese? She did everything to change, but it did not work, UNTIL one day she got it right. I am soo OFFENDED because I don't want to be Broad Stroked and Stereotyped, I'm tired of RACIST (White and Black doing that to My Culture and Ethnic Group!) If YOU are NOT, then what happened to Trayvon (just an example of Stereotyping) will continue to happen to US. I am NOT like she/the article writer wrote about...overweight yes (for right now,) BUT WANT to Be...HEYYAL NAW!