BMI for African Americans/Blacks/Browns

Options

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    ROFL!!! omg race has NOTHING to do with a healthy BMI. What one perceives as beauty is one thing, how fit is perceived is entirely different.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    ROFL!!! omg race has NOTHING to do with a healthy BMI. What one perceives as beauty is one thing, how fit is perceived is entirely different.

People have posted studies above proving that race can and does affect BMI (Asians is the obvious one). Do you have any facts to back up your claim?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    While I am not a huge fan of the BMI scale, it exists for a reason and should not be totally discounted. The average person should fall within (or very close to) the ranges given.

I look at it like this: So many of us on MFP have been fighting a battle with our weight for a very long time. Now that we are here, we want to succeed. If there is some tool that tells you that you are are overweight, use another tool for a second opinion. If they both say you are overweight, lose the weight. That's why we are here.

In my experience, writing off the standard figures because I am black has left me with an even more serious weight problem. I had great blood work and everything else, and then one day, I didn't.

Good luck with your weight loss goals :-)

Yup this. It sucks that everyone keeps throwing around the "Ignore ___ measurement because its garbage!" yet they don't want to admit that many people just need to get healthy. I know there is an exception to every rule but its dangerous to throw around misinformation. Especially when it come to early intervention methods for better health. Of course BMI scales don't apply to a select few, but the majority of people hugely tipping the BMI scales are indeed overweight or obese.

Who said what now? Must be reading a different thread I guess... Please point me to any comment where anyone said anything remotely like that...

Just about everyone in this thread said to ignore BMI its useless...

Yes, of course, that's what they've been saying, or implying quite strongly. :smile: If you read the article I linked to, the author ultimately does make the point that no matter the reason it has happened, it's important to get healthy.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I agree that BMI shouldn't be discounted. Unless you're very small, body builder or an extremely fit athlete, BMI is still a necessary tool for the general population. As for Asians, there is now a separate BMI standard for Asians made by the WHO. The only time that a BMI/scales cannot be relied is whenever someone lose inches while BMI stays the same OR if you weigh less but still look flabby but still it has little effect overall. For the general population, if you're BMI is in the overweight or obese range then they are also obese by body fat standards just like in the OP's case given the fact that her body fat is at 41%. Actually she is just overweight by BMI but is obese on body fat measurements.

EDIT: I think the Asian BMI standards also apply to any race who has a small frame.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure race doesn't have anything to do with it. BMI is just an indicator of health.

Personally, I don't like BMI, I prefer body fat percentage. Regardless of race, having an elevated level of body fat will cause health issues in the long run.

WOW!!! RONG! BMI is NOT an indicator of "Health" Health IS an Indicator of Health. Like most Standardized "Anything" the core sample is From WHO>>>>You got it, WHITE PEOPLE! And NO one is changing it either. So don't Sweat It, forget BMI and go by your HEALTH, to tell if you are Healthy!
  • deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agreed!!!
    I'm pretty sure race doesn't have anything to do with it. BMI is just an indicator of health.

Personally, I don't like BMI, I prefer body fat percentage. Regardless of race, having an elevated level of body fat will cause health issues in the long run.
  • EDesq
    Options
    41% fat is obese.

Recent New York Times article. The author is an African American woman, who also discusses her own weight gain and loss.

"Black Women and Fat

FOUR out of five black women are seriously overweight. One out of four middle-aged black women has diabetes. With $174 billion a year spent on diabetes-related illness in America and obesity quickly overtaking smoking as a cause of cancer deaths, it is past time to try something new.

What we need is a body-culture revolution in black America. Why? Because too many experts who are involved in the discussion of obesity don’t understand something crucial about black women and fat: many black women are fat because we want to be. ..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/opinion/sunday/why-black-women-are-fat.html

Dang Tio Tacos, Uncle Toms....White Folks can ALWAYS find ONE and try to lay THAT on the WHOLE RACE! What about the environmental factors that cause obesity and resulting Co-Morbidities>>>STRESS, Poverty, Unemployment, RACISM, White Privilege, Sexism..
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Different races have different predominant body types.

The biggest problem with BMI is that there are a significant percentage of the population, regardless of race, whose body shape/muscle tone does not fit in with the BMI scale.

This causes two problems, for those who are healthy whilst not conforming with the scale they have the problems with insurance companies etc and those who think BMI is the be all and end all will worry that they do not fit in with the scale.

The errors in the scale give some overweight people an excuse for not getting healthy. It is a bit like the big boned excuse (for those who are not big boned).
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    41% fat is obese.

Recent New York Times article. The author is an African American woman, who also discusses her own weight gain and loss.

"Black Women and Fat

FOUR out of five black women are seriously overweight. One out of four middle-aged black women has diabetes. With $174 billion a year spent on diabetes-related illness in America and obesity quickly overtaking smoking as a cause of cancer deaths, it is past time to try something new.

What we need is a body-culture revolution in black America. Why? Because too many experts who are involved in the discussion of obesity don’t understand something crucial about black women and fat: many black women are fat because we want to be. ..."

Dang Tio Tacos, Uncle Toms....White Folks can ALWAYS find ONE and try to lay THAT on the WHOLE RACE!

There were some complaints in the article that the author was portraying all black women in a bad light. Certainly, many of the things she stated as "fact" about blacks didn't apply to me or many black women I know. But the statistics cited are horrifying. I've always gotten angry about seeing black females represented as "sassy fat black women" on TV and in the movies, but if four out of five black women are seriously overweight it's not a stereotype, not that there aren't huge numbers of overweight white people.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    By American Standards I am 2.3% overweight, I should be weighing around 155, which means I need 2 lose about 20 lbs...I weighed 174.2, BMI was 27.3, BP was 110/74, Total Cholesterol was 117, HDL 58, nonHDL 59, Glucose 73, my fat was 41.2%, I am suppose to be in a range of 21-33%, Fat Mass was 71.81, suppose 2 be 27.2-50.41 range & they said I shud eat 1565 to maintain my weight...EXCUSE ME, BUT WHERE IS THE AFRICAN AMERICAN/BLACK & BROWN FOLKS BODY MASS INDEX LOCATED??? Cuz the folks in the south say Im a HEALTHY weight & I think I nd 2 create anotha type of BMI!!!!!!!! I am heavy in the hips & thighs & I think I look good just like I am, these standards are so not realistic!!!! BMI 4 Blacks is a need, we are circumferenced different!!!!!

I think you do bring out a great point in that there are differences in various nationalities, creeds and races in how they carry weight etc. BMI is not the best indicator of healthy weight. If you have any muscular development at all, you will weigh more than the BMI suggests and be at a truly healthy weight. Body fat % is by far the better way to make this determination. Bone density, skeletal size, muscle mass and density as well as height and weight all should factor in. BMI only addresses a ratio of weight to height... An incomplete assessment to say the least.
  • EDesq
    Options
    41% fat is obese.

"Black Women and Fat

Dang Tio Tacos, Uncle Toms....White Folks can ALWAYS find ONE and try to lay THAT on the WHOLE RACE!

There were some complaints in the article that the author was portraying all black women in a bad light. Certainly, many of the things she stated as "fact" about blacks didn't apply to me or many black women I know. But the statistics cited are horrifying. I've always gotten angry about seeing black females represented as "sassy fat black women" on TV and in the movies, but if four out of five black women are seriously overweight it's not a stereotype, not that there aren't huge numbers of overweight white people.

Facts taken out of Context can be made to make ANY POINT! Again, what Environmental Factors play a MAJOR ROLE!? When someone gives an OPINION, "Black women are fat because they WANT to be Fat" I have a MAJOR problem with that! What FACT is she relating to in saying that...how was THAT Conclusion drawn? Blacks like that just give fodder for fuel to Racist and Status seeking Blacks and Ignorance to flourish. NOTHING is in a vacuum!

Articles like that piss Me off because she is making a statement and showing Irrelevant Stats to back it up...THAT;S NOT the whole story, HEY, But she Got her article in the New York Times. (It's like saying the HS drop out rate for Black Males is 68% SO they Must be Dumb!)

ETA: The SHEAR IGNORANCE of the woman..."We (Blacks) need a BODY CULTURE Revolution....WHAT? Tell GOD to take our hips back, or MAY Be, Surgically alter our Nose or Thin our Lips!!!? Our BODY TYPE is as unique as any other feature of our being (in ALL Cultures). How FREAKISH do white women look when they THICKEN their lips, they were not made like that...I dare a Status seeking Black come along and say, "Change what GOD gave you because it does NOT fit the present definition of..." She is saying MORE than is written in the article, and even so, the article is Stupid. It does not provoke thought, it STOPS it!

I reflect back on someone here who Posted about the Cost of Eating Right...the young lady said she is spending $600 per month just for her to eat right!!! Why doesn't the writer give history behind the obesity and possible solutions. Most Black women will NEVER be shaped like a Bean Pole...THANK GOD!

Every major problem in any society FIRST becomes pervasive in the poverty stricken population...THEN it gets Noticed when it hits the "middle class." No different with obesity and its Co-Morbidities. There is FAR more going on than just "folks" eating too much...it's WHAT people in our society are eating and the CHEMICAL reaction it has in the Body! That is why nutritionist and doctors have NOW come to the conclusion that Calories In and Calories Out is NOT the right formula! That the chemical reaction that HFCS has on the Body IS different than Cane sugar...and so on. So when the general population get ALL of these types of substances it reeks havoc on the Body. I wish that writer had taken an opportunity to Educate instead of Demonize Black Women...Like WE need that! BUT she got her article approved for the NY Times! I KNOW she shops at Whole Foods and drives her Benz to get there!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested this is a study that shows the BMI mis-classified 48% of females in the study. I wouldn't say that is just the extreme edges, would you? and as a point of interest is appears the mistakes actually skew in favour of saying obese people are not.

ETA http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22485140
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    41% fat is obese.

"Black Women and Fat

Facts taken out of Context can be made to make ANY POINT! Again, what Environmental Factors play a MAJOR ROLE!? When someone gives an OPINION, "Black women are fat because they WANT to be Fat" I have a MAJOR problem with that! What FACT is she relating to in saying that...how was THAT Conclusion drawn? Blacks like that just give fodder for fuel to Racist and Status seeking Blacks and Ignorance to flourish. NOTHING is in a vacuum!

Articles like that piss Me off because she is making a statement and showing Irrelevant Stats to back it up...THAT;S NOT the whole story, HEY, But she Got her article in the New York Times. (It's like saying the HS drop out rate for Black Males is 68% SO they Must be Dumb!)

ETA: The SHEAR IGNORANCE of the woman..."We (Blacks) need a BODY CULTURE Revolution....WHAT? Tell GOD to take our hips back, or MAY Be, Surgically alter our Nose or Thin our Lips!!!? Our BODY TYPE is as unique as any other feature of our being (in ALL Cultures). How FREAKISH do white women look when they THICKEN their lips, they were not made like that...I dare a Status seeking Black come along and say, "Change what GOD gave you because it does NOT fit the present definition of..." She is saying MORE than is written in the article, and even so, the article is Stupid. It does not provoke thought, it STOPS it!

I reflect back on someone here who Posted about the Cost of Eating Right...the young lady said she is spending $600 per month just for her to eat right!!! Why doesn't the writer give history behind the obesity and possible solutions. Most Black women will NEVER be shaped like a Bean Pole...THANK GOD!

Every major problem in any society FIRST becomes pervasive in the poverty stricken population...THEN it gets Noticed when it hits the "middle class." No different with obesity and its Co-Morbidities. There is FAR more going on than just "folks" eating too much...it's WHAT people in our society are eating and the CHEMICAL reaction it has in the Body! That is why nutritionist and doctors have NOW come to the conclusion that Calories In and Calories Out is NOT the right formula! That the chemical reaction that HFCS has on the Body IS different than Cane sugar...and so on. So when the general population get ALL of these types of substances it reeks havoc on the Body. I wish that writer had taken an opportunity to Educate instead of Demonize Black Women...Like WE need that! BUT she got her article approved for the NY Times! I KNOW she shops at Whole Foods and drives her Benz to get there!
    Why you mad though?
  • Luffzilla
    Luffzilla Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How about you stop losing at whatever weight you're happy with?

What's the big deal?

And vitals aren't much.. my vitals are perfect and I'm extremely overweight.

BMI and BFM are just a standard... But it doesn't have to be YOUR standard.

Really there was no need for anyone to argue about this at all, otherwise you all come off as racist.

I mean it doesn't matter your race if you're overweight it's blatantly obvious I don't need a damn number to tell me that.

If you think you look good, don't whine. This is a fitness website, not a "let's-bicker-like-we're-5" website.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    By American Standards I am 2.3% overweight, I should be weighing around 155, which means I need 2 lose about 20 lbs...I weighed 174.2, BMI was 27.3, BP was 110/74, Total Cholesterol was 117, HDL 58, nonHDL 59, Glucose 73, my fat was 41.2%, I am suppose to be in a range of 21-33%, Fat Mass was 71.81, suppose 2 be 27.2-50.41 range & they said I shud eat 1565 to maintain my weight...EXCUSE ME, BUT WHERE IS THE AFRICAN AMERICAN/BLACK & BROWN FOLKS BODY MASS INDEX LOCATED??? Cuz the folks in the south say Im a HEALTHY weight & I think I nd 2 create anotha type of BMI!!!!!!!! I am heavy in the hips & thighs & I think I look good just like I am, these standards are so not realistic!!!! BMI 4 Blacks is a need, we are circumferenced different!!!!!

Sorry I'm not a BMI pro - but you have amazing curves!! Just saying!
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    As a white girl I think black girls and guys more often have ideal bodies, often better in sports and build muscles easier. The most perfect human body ever for a girl I've seen on Miami beach The girl was black.
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    and yes forget about standards, you have very attractive body! (No worries I am straight)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    41% fat is obese.

"Black Women and Fat

Some things weren't presented well but many of the facts in the article are true. I do agree the author made the mistake trying to make it seem like all black women are trying to be fat. I think she was trying to point out that a lot of black women are just more okay with being fat. It doesn't always have to do with environmental factors as well. A lot of it really is personal preference.

A lot of black women that I know really do not want to lose weight. I've even had people tell me "Why are you trying to lose so much weight? You wanna look like a skinny white girl??" This thought is pretty common at least from people I have known over the years. I don't like the idea that all black women are supposed to be thick and curvy being portrayed. You can be thick and curvy but it doesn't have to be with excess fat. I've seen size 14 women saying they're just thick and curvy its how god made them, they would never want to be skinny etc. No one is "supposed to" look like any specific way. And to call someone freakish looking because you don't like something on them? Wow.

Black women's shapes come in a variety of sizes. Just like white, asian, hispanic, whatever. You can have a white "bean pole" just like you can have a black "bean pole".
  • Stace5
    Stace5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I don't think you should focus on race...

you should focus on build

there are three types if I am not mistaken

Small, Medium, Large Frame

What frame are you...

There are people from all races with all types of frames

I like to edit to add.

As a black man...I am jealous of white men Calves..

Damnit!

Haha this made me laugh as my boyfriend has the same problem! His upper body is fine but he has such skinny calves that his legs look like they might snap!
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I think its all personal preference... I am african american and very big on health so being in an unhealthy bmi to me is not okay thats why i want to change it.

it is also about body frame and build. It's just that most AA like to be a little heavier and find it sexier where as other races find skinny sexy...

Its how you feel about yourself