Losing weight too quickly?

Options
This might be a weird question, but last week I weighed 156 and this week I weigh 151.....so....do the math....I lost 5 pounds this week. Which is great, except you are only supposed to loose 1-2 pounds a week to do this and be healthy, right? Could it be because this is my first week of weight loss? Should I up the amount of calories I am eating? I try to stay around 1200, but I usually go over, so its not like I'm not eating.....and I only got to the gym 3 times this week.....

Replies

• kitty1256
    Options
    This might be a weird question, but last week I weighed 156 and this week I weigh 151.....so....do the math....I lost 5 pounds this week. Which is great, except you are only supposed to loose 1-2 pounds a week to do this and be healthy, right? Could it be because this is my first week of weight loss? Should I up the amount of calories I am eating? I try to stay around 1200, but I usually go over, so its not like I'm not eating.....and I only got to the gym 3 times this week.....
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    In the first week, you can drop a lot due to water weight and um ....delicately put "other factors".

It should level off for you. You may gain some of those five pounds back. . .don't let that discourage you.

1200 is low, though, so make sure that you're eating enough.:flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Also, and viv is exactly right there, your body can hold water and fecies (yuck) that can total up to 15 lbs. Which is why the scale is a less then exact measurement. I suggest supplimenting with measurement checks. Many people measure waist, but you can also measure arms, tummy, thighs, calfs, chest, and even, neck. when these get smaller, trust me, it's working.