Spagetti Squash

Options
Okay, so I can get past almost any taste. What kills me on a food is the texture. I've been interested in trying spaghetti squash but haven't quite worked up the nerve yet because I'm afraid of it having a weird texture. I've heard that its 'crunchier' than regular pasta. Does crunchy mean like al dente? I love al dente pasta, but 'crunchy' doesn't really sound appealing. Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

*Tips for making it softer would be great too! :bigsmile:

Replies

• msmichael
    Options
    Yes I would say that it is a little "crunchier" than pasta- but it is a soft crunch. It is also noticably sweeter. My younger, picky sisters didn't seem to mind the difference and if you use spagetti sauce it flavors it quite well.

I think its worth a try.
  • melshirk
    Options
    I LOVE spagetti squash. I had an all vegetarian meal at a friends house and she used the squash as the base for red pasta sauce, no noodles. My boyfriend ate it and he is a strict meat eater. He loved it. Give it a try. I have to say everthing is better with butter and a little pepper. Good Luck!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    The first time I ate it, it reminded me of cauliflower - watery kind of texture... but then I liked it.
    Cook it a little longer for softer texture. I just posted this under recipes - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/62317-remind-me-again
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    If you cook it long enough it is very similiar to al dente pasta. Make sure you spray it with some oil and sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic on it before you bake it. Yummo. Hmm... i should really pick up a spaghetti squash now that I think about it....
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is an excellent nutritional value. SourceVery few foods elicit the what-the-heck-is-that look from grocery store cashiers like the spaghetti squash. Varying from around 2 pounds, to some as big as 8 pounds, they look like somewhat like it's relative the yellow squash - on steroids. But don't let appearances deceive you. This winter squash is a carb bargain, and tasty too.

At just 31 calories and around 7 net carbs per cup, it's a wonderful addition to just about any diet plan. You'll also be getting a good source of niacin, potassium, vitamins B6 and C.

Choosing a spaghetti squash is simple. Look for a squash that is pale and even in color that is free of soft spots. The size of squash you'll want really depends on how many you need to serve. You can generally get about 4 cups from a 3 pound fruit. (Yes, it's technically a fruit.) It can be stored at room temperature for about a month, or can be cooked ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or freezer for quick use.

Now that you've chosen that perfect squash, I'm sure you'd like to know what to do with it. Obviously it doesn't make a good bowling ball.

The stringy consistency of spaghetti squash makes it a wonderful substitute for pasta. While the texture isn't exactly the same, the taste is amazing and you may find you like it even better than traditional pasta.

To cook your squash, you can cut it in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Lay both halves, flat side down, on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately one hour, or until soft. Times may vary depending on the size of your squash. A quicker way to cook spaghetti squash is by microwave. Put the fruit on a microwave safe plate and pierce holes around the shell several times. Then place in the microwave, on high, for approximately 5 to 6 minutes per pound. (You'll hear it "scream" a bit. Don't worry. That's steam escaping and not the squash writhing in pain.) You'll know it's ready when the shell is soft. Let cool slightly before removing and be careful when you cut it open. Nothing like steam burns to ruin a good meal. Once it's cool enough to handle, scoop out the seeds and use a fork to pull the strands free from the shell.
  • trikstar
    trikstar Posts: 61
    Options
    Tagging this thread for July24Lioness' helpful info. :) Thanks!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    All this talk of Spaghetti Squash has me craving it. Can't wait to get one. I've had it with pasta sauce and also, just baked then tossed with some margarine and parmesean cheese, so yummmmmy!!! As for the texture, it is very similar to pasta, I can be pretty sensitive to texture as well and this never bothered me.
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great idea. I'm adding it to my grocery lis!.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I think I will go to the grocery store tonight and pick one up to try! Very excited, I would LOVE a pasta substitute. I've gone low-carb and I've missed having pasta because I liked the stuff that goes on it. :laugh:
  • strawberry25shortcake
    Options
    Oh, I love, love, love spaghetti squash! I usually mix it with sauteed tofu, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, peanuts and spinach. Sometimes I will substitute tofu for turkey bacon. Yum! Here is my favorite recipe that can most definitely be altered to meet your taste:wink:

Copy and paste this link:

http://www.cookingbytheseatofmypants.com/recipes/spaghetti-squash-with-crispy-bacon-and-turnip-greens/
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    BUMP! There are some fantastic ideas here, thanks all! :smile:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love, love, love spaghetti squash! I usually mix it with sauteed tofu, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, peanuts and spinach. Sometimes I will substitute tofu for turkey bacon. Yum! Here is my favorite recipe that can most definitely be altered to meet your taste:wink:

Copy and paste this link:

http://www.cookingbytheseatofmypants.com/recipes/spaghetti-squash-with-crispy-bacon-and-turnip-greens/

this recipe looks fantastic, and there is a mexican dish with spaghetti squash linked at the end, looks ever better :) What great ideas.