Yoga/Pilates for Men?

Options
Any guys out there do yoga or pilates? What is your experience with it? What benefits have you seen? I am looking to add something different to my overall fitness routine. Currently I hit the gym 4 to 5 days per week hitting weights. Thinking about yoga or pilates.

Replies

• samtrois
    samtrois Posts: 27
    Options
    Another guy who's curious here.. I can imagine being in a class would be quite embarrassing, not knowing the poses n stuff.. so I think im going to try a dvd or 2 before I ever think of going to a class
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I throw some in every once in awhile. It helps with flexibility and stability while burning a few calories. Kind of hits your weak points if you are lifting.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Another guy who's curious here.. I can imagine being in a class would be quite embarrassing, not knowing the poses n stuff.. so I think im going to try a dvd or 2 before I ever think of going to a class
    I've been going to a yoga class lately and there's some guys in the class. It's kinda embarassing for everyone when first starting out, but seriously, no-one's looking or worrying about you. Everyone's trying to keep up and not mess up themselves.

I find it's helpful with my lifting.
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Use to do it and it helped greatly with my tight back.
    In the end, I found it to be a waste of gym time in terms of burning calories.
    If you add it to your workout plan (as in increase your total workout time not replace another activity) give it a shot.
    Like a previous posted said, it burns minimal calories but does improve micro mussel control and balance.

If you are looking for something different, switching your cardio routine would be far more efficient in terms of calories burned.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I'm a woman, but i love pilates...It's very easy to modify to make it easier or harder. Not to mention, pilates was originally made by a man for men and later modified for women. It's been great for my back and arms, and has helped me improve my flexibility and core strength.
  • yoguyca
    yoguyca Posts: 5
    Options
    RE: Any guys out there do yoga or pilates? What is your experience with it? What benefits have you seen?

Yes, good, Lots of info here: http://yoguy.ca/about-yoguy/differences/

RE" I can imagine being in a class would be quite embarrassing

Get to a men's begoinner class; you'll be comfortable and in good company.
    Here are some classes I've found: http://yoguy.ca/mens-classes-out-of-town/
  • HideNGeek
    HideNGeek Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a class, but I have got a DVD of Yoga for Regular Guys, seems to do the trick, helped me with my flexibility a ton.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Any guys out there do yoga or pilates? What is your experience with it? What benefits have you seen? I am looking to add something different to my overall fitness routine. Currently I hit the gym 4 to 5 days per week hitting weights. Thinking about yoga or pilates.
    I've done yoga before. It has benefits.
    internet-memes-namaste.png
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    ^^^^LOL^^^^

I have a copy of the P90X Yoga X DVD and do it once a week on my recovery day.

I've gotten noticalby more flexible (way more, from barely being able to touch my toes I can now place my palms flat on the ground) and it has improved my balance. Plus it does hit some weak points in my overall program (always leaves my obliques and serratus sore).

I enjoy doing it and at least Yoga X has a reasonable degree of difficulty, it isn't just stretching. Though I want to get a DVD that gets into a lot more advanced handbalancing, Yoga X barely scratches the surface with this, Crane is cool and all but relatively speaking it is basic.
  • mcmaverick
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I decided to give it a try so I took an Intro to Hatha class. It was better than I expected. I can see it is something that will help with flexability and balance. I was the only guy ion the class but strangely I did not feel uncomfortable because many of the people in the class were beginners just like me struggling at times through the class. It's so true that everyone is so focused on themseleves nobody is looking at you. Think I will take several classes to give it a good try then take some pilates classes.