Fast food reality check!

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
A series of events today led me to have to have fast food for the first time in ages. I tried my BEST to eat reasonably. Lord knows I did.

I ordered two GRILLED chicken breasts from the KFC side
and

One side of pintos and cheese.

Sounds safe, right?

MFP says:

2ij22hv.jpg
Look at those sodium levels!!! For grilled chicken! YES 1400 for chicken!!
(the calories were a bit stunning too!)

Replies

• Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    The Fresco menu at Taco Bell isn't to bad minus the terrible sodium

150 cal tacos etc

Avoid KFC as if it was vacuum black hole.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The Fresco menu at Taco Bell isn't to bad minus the terrible sodium

150 cal tacos etc

Avoid KFC as if it was vacuum black hole.
    I usually avoid them all, but wow!!
    it was grilled chicken? What was it grilled on? A salt block?
  • blacksagephoenix
    blacksagephoenix Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    KFC's grilled chicken isn't technically grilled. It is frozen with the grill marks on them, and then deep fried just like the rest of their chicken, at a lower temperature and no breading. So it is still "fried" chicken. lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That is high, isn't it! No problem every now and again but that would really add up if you were eating that everyday.

I suspect that the "grilled chicken" is not a chunk of meat that has come straight off a chicken breast - chances are that it is a processed products that is ground and reformed with a bunch of other fillers, which would make sense of those numbers.

(off to google now to find out what the hell a "pinto" is - the only thing that brings to mind is a pony but I'm sure you weren't eating one of those!)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    KFC's grilled chicken isn't technically grilled. It is frozen with the grill marks on them, and then deep fried just like the rest of their chicken, at a lower temperature and no breading. So it is still "fried" chicken. lol

:noway: I always thought the grilled chicken was safe. I guess that explains the ridiculously high calories for that small breast.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Seriously? Okay first and last time for that!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    That is high, isn't it! No problem every now and again but that would really add up if you were eating that everyday.

I suspect that the "grilled chicken" is not a chunk of meat that has come straight off a chicken breast - chances are that it is a processed products that is ground and reformed with a bunch of other fillers, which would make sense of those numbers.

(off to google now to find out what the hell a "pinto" is - the only thing that brings to mind is a pony but I'm sure you weren't eating one of those!)
    Pintos and cheese is taco bell's name for refried beans with some cheese.:smile:
  • Pebble321
    Options
    Thanks, I learn all kinds of useful things from MFP, now I know what pintos are!
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    8 Boneless Buffalo Wild wings. 3.3k mg sodium in what is 1 or less than 1 meal for a lot of adult males. THAT is brutal. Subways meats are also brutal too, I think I managed to make(and I so ate it) a sub that had like 6k mg in sodium. Safe to say I will never be under my sodium requirement for workouts. I am currently working on making at home primal friendly variants of stuff to cut this sodium stuff down.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    8 Boneless Buffalo Wild wings. 3.3k mg sodium in what is 1 or less than 1 meal for a lot of adult males. THAT is brutal. Subways meats are also brutal too, I think I managed to make(and I so ate it) a sub that had like 6k mg in sodium. Safe to say I will never be under my sodium requirement for workouts. I am currently working on making at home primal friendly variants of stuff to cut this sodium stuff down.
    This is why I avoid fast food! (and clearly I don't know much about it. Heck, I shoulda just gone without!)
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options

:noway: I always thought the grilled chicken was safe. I guess that explains the ridiculously high calories for that small breast.

Sodium doesn't effect calories.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Wow, interesting, never knew that. Yikes!!! How misleading!
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    This is why I avoid fast food! (and clearly I don't know much about it. Heck, I shoulda just gone without!)

Agreed. Lately I have been slacking so hard and eating out too much. That will be changing once GF gets out of school. Schedule calms down and I can get to cooking my own damn chicken. I am going to be making my own wings.
  • Pebble321
    Options

No, you made a good choice based on calories, and you aren't eating this stuff all the time, so it seems like a pretty good option in the circumstances. Your body proabably appreciated the energy you put in, and it will balance out the sodium pretty quickly. Maybe just don't weight in today!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My husband used to work at KFC, he said its not fried, or grilled, but baked in an oven. The sodium is crazy, but I do love their "grilled" chicken.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It IS somewhat healthier than the standard KFC breast at least.

http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_nutrition.pdf
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options

No skin/not breaded reduces some of the damage.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Seems to, yeah. But not sure it was worth the sodium.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options

Seems to, yeah. But not sure it was worth the sodium.

Bwahaha, hells no. :D
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Sodium doesn't effect calories.

I was talking about them being deep fried, and not grilled, making the calories higher.