Not eating my emotions

Options
6 years ago today I married a wonderful man that I loved deeply. 5 years ago today that man left for Iraq and Afghanistan. 4 years ago I realized that while he was physically back from the desert, part of him never made it home. This year, after months of watching him spiral out of control and me asking him to get help, he left and asked for a divorce. In high school I was almost 200 lbs, but over the last number of years I stopped eating to cope and adopted healthy habits. I got to 135. Over the last year, my coping abilities have been spent (I've been in my final year of nursing school) and I've put on 20 pounds. I can't seem to find my motiviation to continue to work out and eat healthy. How do I regain my healthy habits and stop eating because I am stressed or sad or frustrated?

Replies

• stormieweathergirl
    Options
    Hi, I just want to say that it isnt easy to do and I have lost alot of weight over the last 12 months and now going throught emotional issues of my own it is easy to turn to food for comfort. The last few days i have been eating way too much to the point where i make myself feel sick i ate that much because of my own problems. Start with one day at a time. each day is a new day and your chance to turn it around. But you have to be strong, maybe start with picking something that you like to do like going for a walk along the beach or something that is active but fun.....small steps...just remember a day at a time :flowerforyou:
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    First, I am so saddened by the loss of your marriage. It is difficult in the best circumstances and with so much going on for you, it is certainly not the best circumstance. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of grief (and you have every right to feel that BTW).

That being said, what you are asking is a huge question and so very individual. What motivated you the first time, was it you or was it him. I know my health motivates me. It's what makes me work out everyday, each properly, and take the right vitamins. But I am in a totally different place than you.

What I do feel strongly is that whatever else is going on in your life you deserve to be healthy. You deserve to have a good life. You deserve to eat properly and feel good about yourself.

{{HUG}}

L