FIsh????

bwilton77
bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I just tried salmon for the first time tonight and absolutely loved it. The taste texture and price. It was cheaper than chicken or beef. I was telling my husband who also liked the meal I had made that I thought I would get more next week or maybe try another type of fish. He informed me to be very careful and not eat to much fish because of the mercury levels. Is this something I really need to worry about? I started eating fish because I thought it was healthier for you. Anyone know how much is to much or if there are certain fish to steer clear from. Any information would be appreciated.:huh:

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    from what i understand, predatory and canned fish is the worst. They obtain the mercury form polluted water and through bio magnification (something gets more concentrated as it moves up the food chain), it becomes more and more dangerous.

and as for how much is safe to eat, that amount completely depends on your source. i've seen anywhere from 6 oz a week being the max to unlimited. As long as you're not eating it every night, you should be ok. try limiting it to 2-3 times a week with 4oz portions.
  • I just recently studied the Primal Blueprint plan, and have been following it....and I learned from there that it's always best to eat wild caught fish as opposed to Farmed. In the past I had always eaten Farmed Salmon, but never even realized it until I read this and went to store to check. I did find some wild caught salmon, and it's great! In keeping with this plan, I also have been eating wild caught mahi mahi, which is also awesome!!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    This addresses mainly pregnant women and young children but also has general advice on mercury in fish:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm110591.htm
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    a cool rule my friend taught me

the bigger the fish, the more the mercury...because they are consuming more fish with mercury in them
  • argburr
    argburr Posts: 25
    Fish is great for you especially Alaskan salmon because of the omega 3 fatty acids. The best fish to eat is fish you catch yourself then you know exactly how it has been treated! Stay away from farmed fish and canned fish!! store bought stuff from the meat counter should be fine. enjoy!
  • I know Tuna is one of the worst for mercury... canned or caught. That is all I know. Everyone who eats fish knows that Pickerel (Walleye for you southerners, same fish) is the best eating fish in the world so you should try that, you'll love it. Baked, poached, grilled or... dare I say it... fried... Pickerel is the BOMB!!
  • schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    I know Tuna is one of the worst for mercury... canned or caught. That is all I know. Everyone who eats fish knows that Pickerel (Walleye for you southerners, same fish) is the best eating fish in the world so you should try that, you'll love it. Baked, poached, grilled or... dare I say it... fried... Pickerel is the BOMB!!

mmmm pickerel :love:

I also love halibut, and pretty much any other kind of fish! mmmm :laugh:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I just recently studied the Primal Blueprint plan, and have been following it....and I learned from there that it's always best to eat wild caught fish as opposed to Farmed. In the past I had always eaten Farmed Salmon, but never even realized it until I read this and went to store to check. I did find some wild caught salmon, and it's great! In keeping with this plan, I also have been eating wild caught mahi mahi, which is also awesome!!

This is what I was going to say also...............

Loathsome also made a point, the bigger the fish, the more mercury it might contain because it has been around longer, so I have been told. :bigsmile:
  • How did you get the quitting smoking ticker on you myfitnesspal? I would like to get one.

Thanks!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    I know Tuna is one of the worst for mercury... canned or caught. That is all I know. Everyone who eats fish knows that Pickerel (Walleye for you southerners, same fish) is the best eating fish in the world so you should try that, you'll love it. Baked, poached, grilled or... dare I say it... fried... Pickerel is the BOMB!!

Not a fan of Walleye! Not a fan of Salmon....if it doesn't have a shell I am not too much of a fan...I acutally really like Mahi Mahi grilled....flounder - if it's cooked right, red snapper and alaskan white fish is good....I like the mild non fishy tasting fishes but they all have much less of the "good stuff" :ohwell:
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    The oilier the fish, the better IMO.

I like salmon, herring, carp, trout, bass, mahi mahi, ahi, catfish (not oily), and bluegills. I also like other sea creatures (heh) clams in shell, oysters, shrimp, lobster, squid. Mmmm.
This discussion has been closed.