strength training

Options
Just wondering why it doesn't say calories are burned when strength training exercises are entered.

Replies

• MattySparky
    Options
    I've asked the same thing and gotten nowhere. There are people on here that seem to think that lifting weights doesn't burn significant calories which is clearly not the case at all. Now, while I dont use weight lifting to lose weight I deffinately lose calories doing it so I dont understand why they seem to think the opposite. I usually run and then do some weights and I just put all of the cals burned under my cardio. Basically when Im lifting weights my heartrate never goes under 120. That is twice my resting heartrate so how in the world is that not significant enough to count? I dont understand half the people on here sometimes, really. That's my take on it.
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Log your weight training time under the cardio section (it's in the database) and it will add in the calories burned. I think the weight training section is for you to keep track of exercises and reps.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    If you search strength training under cardio it will have the calories burned

The other section is just the record what you did.
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    Options
    There are other posts that I've read on here and the general belief is that it doesn't show up as calories burned because it varies so much from person to person. You can know how much for sure if you are wearing a heart monitor.
    But it DOES burn calories, just not a set number from one person to another.
    :happy:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why it doesn't say calories are burned when strength training exercises are entered.

Because its hard to guage how many calories are burned when lifting weights because even when you stop your still burnin- Now you don't burn the amount that you would doing cardio- but you are still burning them and kicking up your heart rate especially if your moving through circuits, or knocking out a heavier weight

I wear my HRM when doing cardio and lifting weights. I just count my workout as a total not breaking it up
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Under cardio is a listing for Circuit Training and that is what I use because my weight lifting is upper then lower without breaks for over an hour! Yes you burn tons of calories and I do this plus 1/2 hr of fast paced eliptical three days a week and for sure run/ P90x plyo on the other days!! But my circuit rountine is for sure a fat burner! Good luck and KEEP up your routine!
    vhuber
  • diloluke
    diloluke Posts: 13
    Options
    I just entered strength training under cardio and it says I burned a whopping 70 calories. I usually do a mix of cardio and strength training and enter it as circuit training, but today I only worked out with weights. Thanks for all of your input.
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've asked the same thing and gotten nowhere. There are people on here that seem to think that lifting weights doesn't burn significant calories which is clearly not the case at all. Now, while I dont use weight lifting to lose weight I deffinately lose calories doing it so I dont understand why they seem to think the opposite. I usually run and then do some weights and I just put all of the cals burned under my cardio. Basically when Im lifting weights my heartrate never goes under 120. That is twice my resting heartrate so how in the world is that not significant enough to count? I dont understand half the people on here sometimes, really. That's my take on it.

In the introduction of this site (links with answers to common questions) it explained that because people do strength training at different levels and times (different amounts of breaks between reps) that they really can't calculate for you. But you can probably calculate with a heart rate monitor yourself. Or there are sites that I have used on the internet to approximate before I get a HRM. Therefore if you want to record the calories from strength training, then you can record them in the Cardio section. I've never seen any experienced MFP member say that strength training doesn't count. It does.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just found out you can add your own too! (only took me a year!! lol)

I wear my HRM during all training and burn just as much doing weights as I do in cardio on the Elliptical. Maybe because weights are newer to my body and Ellip for a year.

I set up my own weight training entry. :flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Some have already mentioned that there is too much variability in strength training styles to come up with common figures.

How do you define strength training? Lifting weights? Circuit Training? Cross fit? Pilates? There is no common description, no common guidelines.

When doing traditional weight lifting, the actual number of calories expended during exercise is relatively small--the benefits come more during the recovery time between workout days. Strength training is an important part of a weight-loss program--you just cannot quantify an acute effect the way you can with cardio.

Lastly: In many cases, using a HRM to estimate calories burned during strength training is useless. The relationship between HR and oxygen uptake does not exist during traditional weight lifting. If you are following a typical routine--using selectorized machines, free weights, doing 3 sets of 8-12 reps, etc--then the number from an HRM is just an imaginary figure.

If you are taking a mixed class that combines cardio and strength, the calorie numbers are more accurate, but may still overestimate total calories burned. Essentially, if the movement is dynamic enough that it is primarily aerobic in nature, then the resistance is so low, strength gains will be minimal, and vice versa.

The body's systems are dynamic--it's not an "on/off" situation--so especially in a class you will get a mixed response. But, again, if you are lifting weights only, the calorie numbers from an HRM are useless.
  • MattySparky
    Options

In the introduction of this site (links with answers to common questions) it explained that because people do strength training at different levels and times (different amounts of breaks between reps) that they really can't calculate for you. But you can probably calculate with a heart rate monitor yourself. Or there are sites that I have used on the internet to approximate before I get a HRM. Therefore if you want to record the calories from strength training, then you can record them in the Cardio section. I've never seen any experienced MFP member say that strength training doesn't count. It does.

well since you've only been a member for a month at most, give it time and Im sure you'll see what Im talking about. I wasn't really the one concerned here, it was just a reply to the main post. I know that weight lifting burns calories because I use a HRM. Even before I bought one though I always argued my point because it didn't seem to make sense that you're using energy but not burning cals. Trust me there are many members on here that think lifting weights does not burn substantial cals. Anyone who uses the automatic calorie calculator in the excercise section is probably not getting the most accurate picture of how they are doing anyways. I find those generic numbers to be flawed.