Knee injury advice from Runners please!

Options
Hi everyone,

So I started out on the Couch to 5k about 3mths ago. After the first 3 weeks I stopped following it and decided to listen to my body instead of sticking to the suggested times etc and ever since I've been doing really well. I went from barely running for 45secs and needing 90secs recovery, to now running a 5k route with about 3 x 15secs recovery slots where I walk and then carry on again.

However I've recently developed a pain in my actual knee cap which shoots through from the left hand side of my knee when I press it, or just aches when I'm not applying pressure, which starts about 3/4k into my run and stays with me for a couple of days.

I bought a knee support and wore it around the house for a rest day but I think it was taking a few days off running that did the trick to help it heal. I'm a mummy to two young children so properly resting it isn't an option!

I feel like I'm hobbling so obviously something is not good.
My question is this - is this common?
Will running with the knee support help/hinder it's recovery?
Do I need better shoes (I just have regular trainers:embarassed: )?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this. I'm planning a trip to the Drs to get some advice if this problem doesn't sort itself soon.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to see a physiotherapist who can identify exactly what and where the problem is.
    Like you, I developed knee pain about 3 months after I had started running and it turned out to be inflamed tendons. My physio experimented with a few different methods of strapping it up and this really helped, I was able to keep running and it hasn't bothered me much since.
    So, strapping helped me, but it may not be right for you. Icing and anti-inflammatories and rest are helpful for many things, but until you know just what you're dealing with, you won't know how to fix it.

My other suggestion is to increase your time and distance slowly -when you have only been running for a while it takes time for your joints and muscles to srengthen up, and although you might be feeling great, you need to allow your body to keep up with your head and your lungs.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I echo what rubybelle has said.

There is a lot going on at the knee, so a physio is your best bet. Don't just keep running through pain, it will only get worse. You may be over-training, but it may be a gait issue. And, new running shoes are not a cure-all. Rest and ice while there is pain and get to a physio. A few days off now is better than a few weeks/months later - believe me! It might be something very simple - and probably is if you are new to running and this is a new pain.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies! Definitely need to book an appt with my Dr then and see what's going on...

Fingers crossed it isn't anything major and I won't need to stop running long term. For now I'll stop until I know
    what's going on...
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I echo the above. When it hurts, slow down. If its still hurting before your next run, consider a few days or even weeks off. Have a look at Chi running. It changes the way you place your weight and takes the stress off the joints.
  • daisymullins
    Options
    i had a very bad knee injury last year, and thankfully it's cooling down a bit(still comes back every now and then when i run.) My advice is to go and see a doctor, and find out exactly what's wrong. Invest in a proper pair of trainers, because a lot do not have the arched cushiony support your knees need! x
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Pain across a knee cap isn't good. Definitely see a doctor about it so you can get a solid diagnosis. I've had a whole gamut of knee injuries, and once it gets to the "should I run? can I run?" stage I always see my doctor. Knees are pretty crucial to daily movement, so I take no chances with those babies!
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'll book myself in next week and see what the dr says. I'll take a week off the running and pray all will be well! The chi running sounds intriguing, I shall definitely check it out...
    And trainer shopping - count me in lol... now to find a running shop!!
    :laugh: