Jogging or Walking?

Options
I am very new to exercise and over weight so understand what I'm doing at the moment isn't alot but I still want to get the best results from what I'm doing.

According to the app doing a slow 10min jog or a brisk 30min walk both burn approximately the same amount of calories. The thing is after 10mins of jogging I'm starting to really struggle but after a 30min fast walk although I'm breathless I havent quite hit the wall and could easily continue, so what is the better exercise or are they really exactly the same and I would be better off walking for 45mins, as I dont believe jogging 15mins is an option at the moment.

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    both are good. do what you can. if it's walking then walk! it's all I did for almost a year.
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I walk, and it works for me. Feel at the size I am running would have too much impact on my knees, not to mention parts of me bouncing.
    If you want to make it more of a challenge try walking faster or uphill.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'd say walking for 45 mins, especially if you can afford the time, but most important is that you enjoy it. If you're jogging and thinking I HATE THIS I HATE THIS, you're more likely to give up. If you're walking and thinking I CAN DO MORE, that is briliant. Eventually, this sort of mindset will get you fit and you'll want to go faster and one day you'll jog for 45 minutes because you want to. For many of us, exercise is a habit we got into starting slowly. Keep it up!
  • S6Kev
    S6Kev Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I was just thinking about High Intensity v Low Intensity. I know jogging isn't high intensity but for me I feel it alot more then walking and it is a higher intensity then walking. Although the calorie burn seems similar I was wondering if the higher intensity had any added benefits?
  • jeannicoleau
    jeannicoleau Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    What I did was walk and jog for a few minutes at a time bringing in the intensity. I am now able to run a mile before stopping and continuing to walk. I've lost 40 lbs in 5 months with that method. Just a thought.
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What you need to do actually is the Couch To 5 K (C25K) program! It incorporates walking AND jogging and every week you jog more. It SURE beats starting off jogging or just walking, it's awesome!!!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    if you walk at 5 MPH and jog at 5 MPH they are about the same as far as calorie burn is concerned
    if you up the speed to 5.5 MPH then walking uses more calories
    I read a study on it somewhere if I can find a link I'll post it.

also walking will be lower impat on the joints
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Jogging isn't high intensity, that usually refers to interval periods where you go flat out and then back to resting (or close to resting) but it IS higher impact.

To be honest I think it depends on your current weight/fitness levels. If you're hugely overweight and unfit then you're going to put a lot of pressure on your joints by jogging, so I'd definitely say go low impact with the walking. But if you're a bit lighter than jogging would be my preference simply because it's more of a challenge and I feel it makes you stronger cardio-vascularly quicker than walking - either way, so long as you're exercising then it's alllll good :)

Also if you're struggling with jogging but want to get better you might consider looking at one of the programmes out there designed to help with that, like the couch-to-5k programme. Awesome programme :-D
  • sfburdett
    sfburdett Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Walking works for me as I have incorporated it into my daily commute, by rearranging some timings I now walk about 5 to 6 miles a day! And the only additional equipment required is a pair of walking shoes that don't look to out of place with a suit!

Regards
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Some very excellent responses here!!! I would evaluate your ultimate goal....do you aspire to jog? Is time a concern? Interval training is good, but like others have said, if you don't enjoy what you are doing you aren't going to stick to it. I would say put the focus on your abilities, time and what you enjoy doing. I've heard very positive comments in regards to the couch to 5k program, so I would agree it's a good place to start if you think you might like to be a jogger. Personally I could walk fast until I ran out of time or the ends of the earth, whichever comes first!!! Fortunately, I usually run out of time before places to go!! :laugh: On a treadmill I can walk for 60 mins with an incline going from 4-10% and a speed going from 4.3-4.5 mph and the street I can usually keep a good 4.2 avg pace. Set your goals and you will get there :)
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you feel, your fitness level and your weight (I've heard heavier people can experience more injuries when they run). Walking (unless it's hiking) would never have been that much of a workout for me, because I already walked pretty much everywhere, so I didn't incorporate that into my fitness regime. However, that's just me. If you have a lot of weight to lose, or you lead a sedentary lifestyle most of the time, or you just find that you really like walking, of course go for it!

If you want to get better at jogging, you should definitely try the Couch to 5K program. I started it in February. It incorporates jogging and walking, with the jogging intervals getting longer each week until you can run half an hour (or 5K, but beware, the program assumes you can run 10 minute miles, which some people cannot). I did it and I feel confident enough to call myself a 'runner' now. I'm entering a few races this year and am probably going to do the half marathon next year!

The key is finding something you really enjoy. If you like the exercise you're doing, you're going to be far more likely to keep at it. Forcing yourself to do something is just going to make you not want to do it, not put as much effort in and possibly stop doing it altogether.
  • S6Kev
    S6Kev Posts: 16
    Options
    I have downloaded the C25K app and feel this is certainly something I can do. By the way I am 5ft 9' and 214lbs.

Thanks for all the great advice.