• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    where is the LIKE button?
    On facebook.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    So many people really do not know what healthy meals are like. For example....I stopped at a restaurant and asked if they had any healthy items on the menu. Waitress says yes, that they have fish. Deep fried fish !!!:laugh:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I do 99% of the cooking in my home. If someone goes to the trouble of cooking for me, I thank them and deal with any caloric issues during the rest of the week.

Can't think of quicker way to put the brakes on someone doing something for you than to criticize them for it.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I just want to say this.

Healthy does not mean low calorie. Low calorie does not mean healthy.

The vast majority of "unhealthy" examples given in this thread are actually very healthy foods, they just happen to be high calorie healthy foods.

Butter = healthy
    Cheese = healthy
    Milk = healthy
    Olive oil = healthy

Dairy contains stearic acid, which is a very heart healthy saturated fat, same as the lauric acid in coconut oil.

Just because something is high calorie, doesn't mean it's unhealthy.

This is true. But what the OP described is NOT healthy.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I 99% the cooking in my home. If someone goes to the trouble of cooking for me, I thank them and deal with any caloric issues during the rest of the week.

Can't think of quicker way to put the brakes on someone doing something for you than to criticize them for it.

I agree with this ^^^^^^^^^
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't generally have this problem. I have severe food phobias and have done since childhood so even people who have known me my entire life always ask me before they start cooking. I feel really bad about it sometimes, I went to my best friends house, well her mums as she's currently between houses and her blessed mother was cooking...She had to make one regular family meal, 1 vegetarian option, 1 Food Phobia option and 1 severe allergies option! You know, if I didn't have the phobia and someone cooked me the unhealthy option...I'd be happy. I'd be happy that I'm not putting them out, that I can eat that stuff, as well as the healthy stuff. As it is, I usually make hasty exits around meal times, at college I was always vanishing around dinner time to go home just so I didn't have to put them in that situation. Would I tell them? No force on this planet could possess me to at the meal table, and away from the table...only if it came up in passing.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Depends who it is, really.

Like close family members, IE: my brother, mom or dad. I -will- correct them. Half because I like being able to show off my knowledge and knock my (mother*) off their high horse about food health and fitness, and half because ignorance is a sickness, it's only cure is knowledge, patience and understanding.

Extended family, friends that I don't hang out with much, I'll just smile nod, and eat less- claiming 'I'm not that hungry'. Depending on how foot in mouth I am, I may subtly give hints about better food choices (IE: changing out food types for healthier alternatives, the same taste with half the bad!).

Social grace is something society should appreciate once again. A meal being shared with another human is the most primal expression with a person that is non sexual. To sit down and take apart in food, share, and exchange culture, experience, and a laugh. The gesture alone is a gift. And time spent with the other person, the fact they even attempted to make 'healthy food for me', is a flattering gesture, and should feel good for one's ego in the best of ways.

It meant they tried to take time outside of themselves to think about you, in a health sense, to make food for you.
  • SGRhapsodos
    Options
    This is when being celiac comes to an advantage. I can say, no I can't have that cake, it's not gluten free and no one gets offended :-)
  • myfoodlogs
    myfoodlogs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Portion control is key.

Over the years I've found that while it is important to speak up if you would like something done differently, there are certain situations where that is simply not possible. Things that come to mind: first date, dinner with your boss, a new friend who has you over for dinner for the first time. In those situations it could be rude to do anything more than eating your food and saying thank you.

So I stick with good old portion control when I don't know the caloric content of foods. We are so focused on calorie counting today that we forget the simplest way of staying healthy: just don't eat all of it. Calorie counting is possible in North America where the information is readily available, but most foods do not have that kind of information in other places around the world. And people are certainly capable of staying healthy outside of North America.

And of course, being vegan helps eliminate a lot of sources of calories. Although, you'd be surprised at how many ingredients can go in some vegan dishes these days!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't generally eat at other peoples houses, however I am going to stay at my Dads house in a few weeks and we were chatting about what I can and can't eat! They talked about a fish pie and were going on about how great it was when I said "That sounds nice but very calorific!" They both just told me to forget the diet for a week and not worry about it!! Well thanks for the support guys!! Really!!

If I give up on my diet for a week I would only be hurting myself and proving that I don't really mean the changes I am trying to make for my family! Besides I really don't want to put weight on while I am there because it has been hard enough getting to this stage in the first place!! I am hoping that while I am there it will be better!!
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My fiancé does most of the cooking in our house, and fortunately he's actually great for this - he doesn't always make the best choices (mostly down to slight cluelessness), but he'll always have the ingredients listed and ready for me to inevitably say "WHAT'S IN THIS I NEED TO PUT IT IN MY RECIPES". And this also gives me the opportunity to request slight adjustments on future occasions. Works out well for both of us.

Also, as mentioned by others, if you are in a position wherein your food has been prepared by someone else and you think it might be on the unhealthy side - smaller portions, and, if in doubt, estimate high?