Which exercise?

Options
I see questions on here all of the time about flattening the stomach and which ones to do. But i have a question about the back fat AKA love handles ,you know that pudgy part that hangs out over the jeans on the sides and in the back! LOL what could i do for those issues ? I already do yoga and some pilates and i do cardio, but i need some specific moves targeted for this area.

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have the very same problem. Here are some things you can try:

Side planks, they are just like regular planks only you turn on your side.
    Bycyles....lie on your back with your hands behind your head. Bring left knee and right elbow together. Then do the same with right knee and left elbow.

These two things are really helping me. Try to exercise the deep down muscles. Sit ups only get the outer ones.
  • dparizeau
    dparizeau Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what many late-night infomercials might say, I don't think you can direct fat loss to a particular area of the body by doing specific exercises. Exercise can build muscle in targeted areas, of course, but fat loss is distributed all over the body no matter how you burn the calories. Just keep burning fat in whatever way works for you!
  • jessienmiller
    jessienmiller Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you both , I already do cardio and other fat loss workouts , I alos do the bicycle ones but ii think it is time to up those!
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes as you lose weight it will melt off where ever it wants. You should see those love handles slowly reduce. I think you can help the process along with planks by encouraging muscle growth.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    To lose fat you have to burn fat. That happens when you eat right and lift heavy.

eating right = losing weight
    losing weight = losing fat and muscle
    lifting heavy (with adequate protein intake) = retaining muscle

so...

eating right + lifting heavy = fat loss.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what many late-night infomercials might say, I don't think you can direct fat loss to a particular area of the body by doing specific exercises. Exercise can build muscle in targeted areas, of course, but fat loss is distributed all over the body no matter how you burn the calories. Just keep burning fat in whatever way works for you!

This man knows what he's talking about.

Just keep up the caloric deficit and do lots of cardio and weight training.
  • jessienmiller
    Options
    Great thank you all. I am going to start lifting more and doing more side planks and bicycle crunches along with my daily workouts and we shall see what happens. I would love to have a 25 inch waist ,im at 26 3/4 right now!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Put downs and push backs. As in put down the fork full of pasta and push back from the table. J/K!

No exercises are going to address the things you're talking about. If fat is starting to hang over jeans, then the fat has to be reduced. Exercises that strengthen the muscles underneath the fat will be beneficial for you, but sadly, won't help your jeans at all. When my wife says I should do more situps, I have her feel my stomach. My abs are actually huge and tight. But no one can tell because I've got 25 pounds of Pure D. Flab hiding them. Put downs and push backs are what I need, not more ab work.
  • jessienmiller
    Options
    Well i work out ALOT and try to watch what i eat I usually only consume about 1200- 1400 cals a day and drink plety of water but here latley i have been struggling with random binging.... I posted something a couple of days ago about how to stop the binging. But otherwise i am at a normal weight I am 5'2 and range from 112-116 pounds.