Ladies Who've Done or Are Doing P90X - Question for You

Options
Before I began P90X, I worked out 4-5 times a week. I did a mix of cardio, Jillian Michaels, and Bob Harper. Every day I worked out, I did both cardio and strength. I'd improved a lot and gained some muscle, but for the past year or so maintained a very steady weight that I was happy with.

I'm on day 33 of P90X, and this week...the scale went the wrong way! I wasn't trying to lose weight, but I certainly didn't want to gain it either!!!

My measurements have gone down a bit - I've lost about a half inch around my waist and hips and a quarter inch around my thighs and arms. My strength has improved, and I feel fantastic! My clothes don't fit any tighter. I eat the same as I was eating before and keep within my calories. So I'm pretty sure it's muscle that's making the scale go up. I knew it was a possibility that I'd gain a little weight with the muscle...but it's really hard to reconcile the numbers on the scale.

Especially for a woman who's overcome anorexia and bulimia.

How did you come to peace with gaining weight when you gained your muscle?

Replies

• emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Only because the tape measure never lies!!! We all want to lose fat, not just weight. I could have a kidney removed and lose "weight" but that isn't what we want to lose is it? It is all about fat loss!! If the tape measure is getting smaller just picture your body on the inside having less and less of the white fat inside and nice beautiful lean muscle!!! May be cheesy, but it helps me!!:)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Honestly if the way you look in the mirror has improved and you can feel your strength improving, you know the numbers don't matter. Increased muscle mass has so many benefits there is no reason to strive for "skinny" instead of "healthy."
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Ladies. It's just hard. I can know all this in my head, but it's still depressing to see the scale change like that. I know part of it is the fact that I've suffered from EDs, and it's taken me years to get to a place where I'm happy. Now, P90X is shaking it up a bit...which is GOOD. And I KNOW it's good. Just like I knew it was bad when I binged and purged.

It doesn't make it any easier. :(

But thank you for the motivation and encouragement. That's why I posted. :) I knew you'd be able to help.
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Honestly if the way you look in the mirror has improved and you can feel your strength improving, you know the numbers don't matter. Increased muscle mass has so many benefits there is no reason to strive for "skinny" instead of "healthy."

i couldnt agree more! I am on week 6 of p90x and was in a aprox 3 month long plateau prior to starting, for me p90x has not only made me feel amazing, flattened my tummy, toned my thighs, but has officially gotten me out of my plateau!

I would say keep using that tape measure, it doesnt lie the way a scale sometimes can. BEST of luck to you xoxo
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    The more research I do, the more I think it may be water weight from gaining muscle. That my body hasn't yet even itself out. Because right now, I'm bloaty. And this is the third day in a couple weeks. Not usual for me.