Stronglifts Deload?

Options
mmapags
mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
I've been doing Stronglifts 2 to 3 times per weeks since early March. Progress has been great but I am hitting a point now where I'm just not recovering as well and experiencing some fatigue. Ironic from the guy that posted in the first few weeks, "is this really it? These weights don't seem very heavy." lol. I'm not finding anything on the website about deloading.

So is it time for a deload week? I'm occaisionally stalling but not for more than 2 sessions. It's more the recovery as the weights have gotten higher. Right now I'm at 135 on squats, 55 on overhead, 185 on deadlifts, 95 on bench and 95 on rows. These are all without the olympic bar counted in the weight. Thoughts from more experienced strength lifters?

ETA: I'm am 61 years old.

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/what-to-do-after-12-weeks-of-stronglifts-5x5/

"Deload. If you fail to get 5x5 with the same weight for 3 workouts in a row, deload for that exercise. Take 10% weight off for that lift only, and add 5lb (2,5lb on the Press/Bench) every workout again. Make sure you lift as fast as you can with the lighter weights and focus on technique."

"Switch to SL3x5/SL1x5. After you had to deload twice on a lift, you switch from 5x5 to 3x5 for that exercise. Same thing after 2 deloads with 3x5 - you switch to 1x5 for that lift. This drops the volume (stress) while increasing the intensity. There will be less technique practice, but by this time you should have had plenty."
  • mmapags
    Options
    Thanks for that info. I guess I'm really wondering if I should do a deload week as some of what I've read recommeds of just deload when reaching failure in an individual lift? Anyone else have thoughts?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Thanks for that info. I guess I'm really wondering if I should do a deload week as some of what I've read recommeds of just deload when reaching failure in an individual lift? Anyone else have thoughts?

You're supposed to be reaching failure. Until you stall three times in a row, keep pushing. This is of course assuming you feel safe doing this and are not risking injury. Stronglifts is supposed to be painful, though.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

You're supposed to be reaching failure. Until you stall three times in a row, keep pushing. This is of course assuming you feel safe doing this and are not risking injury. Stronglifts is supposed to be painful, though.
    This!
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Is lifting different for someone in their 60's? I don't ask this to be sarcastic - I just wonder how age affects recovery time. If you have not already done so, check out the Stronglifts group here on MFP. There are lifters of all ages there, and people might have input.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Is lifting different for someone in their 60's? I don't ask this to be sarcastic - I just wonder how age affects recovery time. If you have not already done so, check out the Stronglifts group here on MFP. There are lifters of all ages there, and people might have input.

Admittedly I haven't done tremendous research on the subject as I'm only 26, but from what I recall, the only change in a healthy older person is in results. I.E. you can still train the same way, you'll just stall sooner than you would have at a younger age. Stalling, if the lifts are being done correctly and the weight is being increased consistently and in small enough increments with a starting weight that is safe for the lifter, is the body's way of handling the situation.
  • mmapags
    Options
    bump. No offense to those who have posted as I appreciate your input but any thoughts from a trainer or someone with lifting expereince closer to my age? I posted on the Stronglifts group but no activity.
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    According to the program, you should deload by 10% after you've stalled at the same weight for three consecutive workouts.

If you deload, but then stall again when you reach your current weights, then it might be time to move from a 5x5 to a 3x5 program.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    depending on age i would think that the older you are, the more deloads you would need if you are lifting intensely.. also depending on experience, if you have been lifting heavy for a while and have built some serrious mass and strength and know how to train with max intensity within every rep, then you need more deload weeks..

for me personally I am young and have only been training for two years so i only take a deload week when i feel like my strength training has plateaued or i start to feel physically ill from training and extremely fatigued which is rarely. (only have taken two deload weeks ever)
  • mmapags
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain what deload means!! thank you
  • mmapags
    Options
    It means reducing weight by 10% and working back up.

BTW, as a follow up to my original question, I was able to get some input from one of our members, TrainingwithTonya, who has a degree in Sports Physiology and a minor in nutrition and she was able to pinpoint my problem. I was only resting for 45 to 60 seconds between sets and was experiencing extreme anaerobic glycolysis (burning of too much glycogen as my energy source) and not allowing the ATP-CP to recover and provide the energy for the next set. I have upped carbs on workout days and am resting 3 minutes between sets and that has greatly improved the situation! That Tonya is one sharp cookie! You may want to find her blog on this site as the info she has there is very good!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    thank you mmapags!!
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bumping for reference
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    bump. No offense to those who have posted as I appreciate your input but any thoughts from a trainer or someone with lifting expereince closer to my age? I posted on the Stronglifts group but no activity.

I'm a bit younger than you (49) but closer in age to you than most on this forum. I've been doing Stronglifts since the beginning of April. Two things:

1) Follow the advice and deload 10% on only the lift you are failing. If I am not mistaken, this should be done if you fail your reps two workouts, not three, in a row for that lift.

2) Consider one day on, two days off. I am finding that as the weight increases, one day doesn't cut it for me. So over a month or so you will be short a couple of workouts compared to 3X per week but it shouldn't be that big a deal.

So instead of Mon, Wed, Fri, try Sun, Wed, Sat Tues Fri etc.

Also, I hope that on the lifts you are stalling on you are giving yourself a full 3 minutes of recovery time per set. Makes a difference for me (although a bit boring having to wait around.
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mmapags
    Options

I'm a bit younger than you (49) but closer in age to you than most on this forum. I've been doing Stronglifts since the beginning of April. Two things:

1) Follow the advice and deload 10% on only the lift you are failing. If I am not mistaken, this should be done if you fail your reps two workouts, not three, in a row for that lift.

2) Consider one day on, two days off. I am finding that as the weight increases, one day doesn't cut it for me. So over a month or so you will be short a couple of workouts compared to 3X per week but it shouldn't be that big a deal.

Also, I hope that on the lifts you are stalling on you are giving yourself a full 3 minutes of recovery time per set. Makes a difference for me (although a bit boring having to wait around.

Thanks Dave. I think you are right. As I'm into higher weights, (over my body weight in deads, almost at it in squats) I am generally taking 2 days rest. I'm rarely stalling but I have gone to the 3 minute rest thing as I've noted above and it's making a difference.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. I think you are right. As I'm into higher weights, (over my body weight in deads, almost at it in squats) I am generally taking 2 days rest. I'm rarely stalling but I have gone to the 3 minute rest thing as I've noted above and it's making a difference.

Yeah, getting decent rest in-between sets is important but moreso during the last couple sets that are really heavy. The couple warm-up sets can be rushed a little.
  • mmapags
    Options

Yeah, getting decent rest in-between sets is important but moreso during the last couple sets that are really heavy. The couple warm-up sets can be rushed a little.

Yup, completely agree on the warmup sets. Besides, even at 61, I ahve yet to learn patience which is one of the reasons I wasn't resting enough!LOL Those warmup sets go very quickly. Just trying to make sure I'm stretched out to get low on the squats.
  • fastbackdan
    fastbackdan Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Yup, completely agree on the warmup sets. Besides, even at 61, I ahve yet to learn patience which is one of the reasons I wasn't resting enough!LOL Those warmup sets go very quickly. Just trying to make sure I'm stretched out to get low on the squats.

I am in my mid 20's
    In terms of Deload Weeks, i do feel one needs to access the optimal periodization for deloads in accordance to their own body's response to training and recovery
    I must take a deload week every fourth week of training, and on every 8th week, i take the entire week off. It is challenging both staying away from the gym for a week, as well as going to the gym and performing with a lighter load and light intensity. This will prevent overtraining and over reaching.

Like i said I do feel its on an individual basis when and how frequent one must deload, but nonetheless it is a necessary training tool any lifter must incorporate.