Please suggest alternatives for bread/wraps

Options
2»

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    There are plenty of brands of low carb wraps out there with 50 (small) to 80 (large) calories per wrap. La Tortilla Factory and Xtreme Wellness are brands I've tried and liked. Joseph's low carb pitas are good too (60 calories). All of those are available at wal-mart.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Soup!

Homemade of course otherwise they can be pretty high in sodium. Make a vat of it on a Sunday and take some each day. Plenty of veg/chicken/peas/beans and you're set.

Fills me right up anyway xx

Edit to say, I take mine in a thermos as we dont have a microwave at work so no need to reheat either. x
  • amyllangley
    amyllangley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also use the La Tortilla Factory wraps. My favorite is the Fiesta one. Adds a little spice to your wrap, and they are only 50 calories per tortilla.
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use Healthy Life breads (can find them at Wal-Mart of all places). They come in all types from Italian to Whole Grain and only have 35 calories per slice, lower carbs, and higher fiber than most breads.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Spring rolls.
    Soups.

Try looking at bento-box meals for inspriations to try other things that are packible!
  • Nermal1983
    Nermal1983 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the La Banderita low carb tortillas too. They are a lot softer than regular ones, though and they tear easily. :)
  • lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    id say just stick with the lettuce wraps :D

or if he really fancies it i have egg white omelettes instead of wraps............but its one that not many like
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    One of my friends here uses coconut wraps. They're low cal/carb/fat.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Flat out wraps are amazing! 90-100 calories depending on the flavor and very low glycemic load. I spread them with a wedge of laughing cow cheese, sliced chicken or turkey breast, sliced hearts of palm, mixed greens, shredded carrots and cabbage and a couple slices of tomato. They're delicious! My husband loves them. He said they remind him of an aram sandwich
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I use Sandwich thins or Pita Pockets. They are much healthier than bread, but it gives you the carbs that you need. I love the Pita Pockets with grilled chicken and veggies.
  • alb_photog
    alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I too am low carb and do a lot of lettuce wraps. But I started to burn out, so I've been doing Atkins breakfast bar (usually the cranberry almond) and an Atkins Shake. I also have a Plain Oikos greek yoghurt with a scattering of fresh blueberries. The meal is about 400 calories, packed with protein, and with 6 net carbs total. :)

Also, does he have access to a microwave? He can take and reheat an egg and hamsteak scramble. I usually scramble 9 eggs per hamsteak, and it's about 3 breakfasts for me. I'll do 9 eggs per 1/2 breakfast sausage, and you can add a TBS of salsa.
  • ElizmaKnowles
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions - it's been most helpful.....I am envious of all the nice brands you have in the US, will have to see what I can find that similar here in the UK.
    :happy:
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    What about pasta salad? Cous cous? Soup?
  • irishcailin2012
    irishcailin2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi

Hope this helps. Heres a recipe for a low gi fruit loaf

50g/ 3 quarter cup all bran cereal
    300ml/ 10.5 fl.oz milk - low fat whatever you wish
    225g/ 1.5 cup wholemeal flour
    1tsp baking powder
    90g/ 3 quarter cup raising or sultanas
    50g/ 2 thirds cup apricots - chopped
    50g/ quarter cup prunes - chopped
    75g/ one third cup muscovado sugar
    4tbsp honey

I don't put in the apricot or prunes - I substitute them for chopped dates instead. For the sugar you can lower it a little if you wish and you don't necessarily have to use muscovado sugar - I've used demerera etc.

Put the all bran in a bowl along with fruit and cover with milk. Soak for 30mins or longer. Oven 180 Celsius/350 Farenheit.
    Sieve the wholemeal flour and baking powder into a seperate bowl - whatevers left in the sieve all that also. Stir in the all bran and honey. It will look like its not going to come together but with the honey it does!

Spoon the mixture into a 2lb loaf tin (greased with oil). Level the top. Bake for 1 - 1 quarter hours until the loaf is golden on top.

Let the loaf cool a little in the tin before turning onto to a wire tray. This loaf will store for several weeks if wrapped in foil and stored in an airtight container. It is delicious and GOOD FOR YOU.

you can throw in a few seeds if you wish. Hope this helps some people :happy:

Sinead
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to give them a try when I was in Sainsburys at the weekend they had the Sandwich thins on for £1 a pack think there was 6 in a pack.

Just in case its any help
  • SanniHope
    SanniHope Posts: 23
    Options
    Could try replacing the bread with some brown rice or cereal salad. So you can have carbs, proteins (from ham or tuna or cheese you put in it) and fibers from some veggies (zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, whatever you would like to put in it)

I don't know where you are form but since I'm from Italy I would also suggest some cold pasta salad, best if wheatmeat: contains more fiber and less carbs.

Also not using white bread, but cereal bread should help ;)
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    google "Atkins one minute flaxseed muffin," those are pretty great!
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would say lettuce or something like that, but check out Flatout bread too. Much better than 2 big slices of white bread.

http://www.flatoutbread.com/

Agreed! Love them for pizza and wraps! 8-)
  • LozzieWebb
    LozzieWebb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions - it's been most helpful.....I am envious of all the nice brands you have in the US, will have to see what I can find that similar here in the UK.

Look for the Warburtons thins in the UK - they're 100 cals - and nice to have with loads of the usual healthy sandwich fillings. Also nice grilled and topped with scrambled eggs or beans or any number of other 'toasty' toppings :smile: