It's not cheating!

emilydenicola
emilydenicola Posts: 5
edited September 19 in Chit-Chat
Has anybody else had the experience where they can abstain from eating fatty and otherwise unhealthy foods by simply cooking them for others? For example, my boyfriend is naturally thin and can eat whatever he wants without putting on a single pound, whereas I'm naturally overweight and gain weight very easily. So while I'm on my diet, I offer to make him all of the unhealthy foods that I wish I could have- Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Grilled Cheese, anything with bacon :bigsmile:. And while I'm still not eating them, I find that my diet sort of gets off to making them. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Has anybody else had the experience where they can abstain from eating fatty and otherwise unhealthy foods by simply cooking them for others? For example, my boyfriend is naturally thin and can eat whatever he wants without putting on a single pound, whereas I'm naturally overweight and gain weight very easily. So while I'm on my diet, I offer to make him all of the unhealthy foods that I wish I could have- Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Grilled Cheese, anything with bacon :bigsmile:. And while I'm still not eating them, I find that my diet sort of gets off to making them. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Geez, NO WAY! :laugh: I could NEVER cook all kinds of "goodies" and then NOT eat them after smelling them! :noway:
    My poor husband doesn't have a weight problem, but his meals go according to my numbers, and what I eat, HE eats! :laugh: Though, when he practically begged for macaroni and cheese the other night, I made it. (It's never been a favorite of mine anyway!) :laugh:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I'm not in that kind of situation - but I have had a similar experience.

On Sundays I cook lunches and some dinners for the entire week, so it's one long day of chopping, slicing, and cooking large quantities of food.

I have been EVER so careful not to nibble as I cook. It's always in the forefront of my mind.

And on that day when I'm working so closely with food I an not as 'hungry'. I just want to eat less.

I have been trying to figure out why it's like that and all I can come up with is that perhaps it's because I smell the food all the time that it's cooking. Olfactory input is a huge part of our sense of taste. So maybe there is something to it.
  • SShay832001
    SShay832001 Posts: 11 Member
    Everyone in my house pretty much eats healthy now, but I do allow my son to have some unhealthy things once in a while.....like today I gave him waffles with syrup.......I'm naturally a fat kid, soooo it looked great, I took a (1) bite, but that was my quilty endulgence! We also have a "fat day" a week, we don't go over board, but we don't feel like indulging any other time during the week. While cooking I also drink a cup of water and probably one cup 30 min before cooking, it helps to keep my stomach feeling full so I don't feel like nibbling when I'm cooking.....just a few ideas!
This discussion has been closed.