"I'm too old for this" ?!?!

Options
So Tuesday night I talked my sister into going to the schools to play tennis for a bit. She borrowed tennis shoes from my mom and we went up there. She hasn't hit a ball in 4 years and was wondering how she would do. Well, she did awesome and we were hitting back and forth in no time.
Then about 15 minutes in, she started complaining about how she was too old for this. I felt like I had to start taking it easy and hitting the ball to her rather than across the court to make her run for it. Granted she has been a smoker for 15 years or so, but seriously?? Too old?
You wanna know how old too old is? Apparently it is 32 years old. I'm going to be 29 in just a couple months and I feel better than ever. I will continue to work my *kitten* off because in three years I will NOT be saying I'm too old for anything.
But the point is, I wanted to reach out to her. I wanted to talk to her about getting healthy by eating better and including exercise into her day. But you all don't know my sister... this would cause a HUGE fight. She's not particularly over weight, although she could lose some weight. It's just the smoking and the fact that after running back and forth for only 15 minutes she was complaining. Has anyone run into this situation where you wanted to talk to someone about getting healthy, but didn't know how to? What did you do? Any help would be great. My sister is a worthy opponent if she could actually play longer than 15 minutes!

Replies

• grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    That is sad. She definitely isn't too old. My mom is a smoker and I have talked to her for years about quitting. Her grandchildren have literally cried, begging her to quit. Not only do we worry about her health, but she stinks, her house stinks, and when we come from there we stink. Not to mention the waste of money, ugh. Anyway, I wish I could give you some advice, but I'm in the same boat. Good luck, I hope you get through to her!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    without sounding "preachy" or too prideful I try to explain how far I have come and how much difference making healthy choices has made for me. I'm 41 now and "I'm too old for this" would be an easy excuse if I let it, but I don't. I appreciate the concern you have for your sister and I hope she is willing to listen.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Show her through actions, actions speaks louder than words. I'm doing that to my older sister too. Telling them subtly what I do, share my workouts on social network that they can see, and now, my older sis who's 4 years older than me, and I'm 42, has caught on. All the best in helping your sister.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It's just an excuse, as everyone has one. I'm 33 and the only things I'm too old for are booty shirts, tummy revealing tops and partying past 1am! LOL
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    As for "too old" I always think about my Dad who is retiring at 65 and starting a new career as a personal trainer. :)

I think about family members still hiking, riding ATVs, boating, swimming at 70.

Treat your body well and you shall be rewarded.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Show her through actions, actions speaks louder than words. I'm doing that to my older sister too. Telling them subtly what I do, share my workouts on social network that they can see, and now, my older sis who's 4 years older than me, and I'm 42, has caught on. All the best in helping your sister.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I would say just keep dragging her out there. Or for a walk. Or swim. Or playing golf. Eventually she'll get it - that she's not going to be able to keep up with her little sister if something doesn't change. And no one wants their little sister outdoing them.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    She's definitely not too old. I would advise against going the lecture route ("You know you'd feel better/look better/be healthier if you only...")

Instead, just keep inviting her to join you when you'd like to. Be an example but not a scold.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    So Tuesday night I talked my sister into going to the schools to play tennis for a bit. She borrowed tennis shoes from my mom and we went up there. She hasn't hit a ball in 4 years and was wondering how she would do. Well, she did awesome and we were hitting back and forth in no time.
    Then about 15 minutes in, she started complaining about how she was too old for this. I felt like I had to start taking it easy and hitting the ball to her rather than across the court to make her run for it. Granted she has been a smoker for 15 years or so, but seriously?? Too old?
    You wanna know how old too old is? Apparently it is 32 years old. I'm going to be 29 in just a couple months and I feel better than ever. I will continue to work my *kitten* off because in three years I will NOT be saying I'm too old for anything.
    But the point is, I wanted to reach out to her. I wanted to talk to her about getting healthy by eating better and including exercise into her day. But you all don't know my sister... this would cause a HUGE fight. She's not particularly over weight, although she could lose some weight. It's just the smoking and the fact that after running back and forth for only 15 minutes she was complaining. Has anyone run into this situation where you wanted to talk to someone about getting healthy, but didn't know how to? What did you do? Any help would be great. My sister is a worthy opponent if she could actually play longer than 15 minutes!

It is always tricky to approach someone about making changes. I would start with this cute story...then say.."It was really fun playing tennis with you again. I hope we can keep doing it. Leave out the mention of making changes and not being too old. Just ask her to play with you as often as you two can manage. She will either come around or start declining the invitations.

Tell her this story. I just posted about my mom's friend and her trip to the chiropractor....tell me your sister about this 91 year old
    . A cute note about my hot chiropractor and my super amazing mother who went zip lining for her 63rd birthday, my mom has a friend that is 91 years old. Her friend is very very active, she golfs three times a week and bowls once a week in the summer and 3 days a week when it is too cold to golf. The 91 year old friend hurt her back so my mom contacted Dr. Matt. He xrayed Lorraine and treated her. Lorraine said she would drive herself to her next appointment on her way to bowling etc...so cute..she asked if she could still bowl and golf and Dr. Matt old this 91 year old woman "I will tell you what I tell all athletes, you know your body, give it a try if you feel up to it but stop if it hurts." This guy rocks! Who tells a 91 year old woman that she is an athlete and he will get her golfing as soon as possible? Oh and this 91 year old woman only takes one medication. She takes it because her Raynauds is so bad she drops her bowling ball sometimes when she loses feeling in her fingers....don't we all want to be Lorraine when we are 91?
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Age is a state of mind! You are only as old as you feel. I have had some of the same issue you have with my wife. She sees my transformation and is doing her best to exercise and lose some weight but keeps getting frustrated. I keep telling her that the changes are not going to happen over night, that it takes time. Like your sister I would just tell her the benefits of being healthy, both exercises and eating right. Get her to try out this site, talk to other people, ask questions. As I say to my wife you have to want to change, make yourself better... once you have that it;s like a light bulb turning on in your mind!

Good luck!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    People trip me out.

I look pretty young for my age. This has happened several times in my life, but I was telling this guy about how I was training for a half marathon, and he said, "yeah, we'll that's great, but when your my age, your body just doesn't allow that kind of thing". He didn't look old so, I asked his age. He says, 38. I'm like, "dude, I'm 47". All I could think of is, 'what a dumbass'. I'll never understand why people do that to themselves. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I think you did awesome getting her to the court to begin with and she did get exercise. I'd say don't push her to much or she'll just not go again. Be patient, hopefully she'll "get it". But nice for you to try anyways
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration and wish I had an answer for you. I'm in the same situation with my mother. She is not in the best of health, has developed Type 2 diabetes and is probably 150 pounds overweight. My sisters and I have spoken with her, encouraged her, pleaded with her, and basically nagged at her to no avail.

She has an aunt that on her 90th birthday bowled a perfect game. My mother on the other hand would exhaust herself bending over to tie bowling shoes. It's so sad and so very frustrating.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't really believe I'm too old for anything, but I do use that phrase jokingly when I know I'm in over my head.

Although I do think I might be too old to take up skateboarding. Falling down hurts. :laugh:
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options

^^That.

I do something similar. Although I don't have much weight to lose, people still see a difference. They see a difference in how I act, what I'm involved in, not involved in, the sacrifices I make, the successes that I enjoy. I try to get my friends and family involved by inviting them for walks, sports outdoors, even sports I'm not good at (tennis) but that they might enjoy in order to entice them out. I don't preach to them about eating right or exercising. You can't change anyone, but you can change yourself. If they want to change, just be there for them and offer support.
  • Witteney
    Witteney Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 51, almost 52 and smoked for 20 years. I really really regret it now and your sister will too. I told myself I could keep smoking and quit when I was ready. Well I had to quit because if I didn't I would be on oxygen right now. As it is, I have smoking-induced asthma and my lungs are not what they should be, that's for sure. I hope they get better, that's what I'm told anyway. I've quit now for about 7 years. I try to run/walk at least a mile every day and it's tough, but I feel better now than I did when I was in my 30s and 40s, smoking. Weak lungs run on the maternal side of my family, (have two aunts who were smokers and died from lung cancer, and my grandmother had emphysema and died from heart disease related to smoking) so some people can smoke and not be where I am now, But geez, you are just committing slow suicide, that's what you are doing when you smoke, I see that now! Killing yourself. That's worth fighting about I think.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm pretty blunt and don't worry about pissing off my family members when I tell them to shut their pie hole and workout. LOL But for people I'm not related to, I try to be a little less blunt. :laugh: I do still tell it straight, though. Generally, I tell them about a woman I worked with in Atlanta. She came into the gym for the first time at 72 years old. She asked me to train her for a new sport she saw on television. Basically, she said she was bored since her husband died and thought that preparing for and competing in sports would help her be less bored. My thought at the time was that she wanted to try shuffleboard or something gentle on older bodies. Nope, she wanted to be a body builder. Yes, I said Body Builder! By 78 years old, she won her first competition. So, I tell my potential clients who complain of being too old that there is no such thing as too old until you're dead.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Tell you can't play tennis alone, get her a racket from the thrift store and guilt her into going. What the heck, why not? It's cardio for you, too. And if she says she's too old for it tell her good, that means you'll get to win more (if you 2 are competitive). :laugh:
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If 32 is old, then I MUST be ancient at 40!

Seriously, if I thought I was too old, I wouldn't haven't gotten off my out-of-shape butt and starting lifting weights at the ripe old age of 39.

Age is just a number - nothing more, nothing less.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    don't lecture her. Its frustrating but what she really means (and she is probably well aware of this ) is I don't feel like doing this. Which is her perogative. she dosn't have to if she doesnt want to.
    its would be good if she did want to though.