Atkins and Low Carb Diet Logging

Options
I am doing low carb. Not exactly Atkins because I'm making up my own numbers (75-80 carbs a day). However, I still eat the Atkins bars. I know they say only 3 NET carbs, but when I log it in my diary it says 14 carbs. Should I consider it as 3 carbs or 14 carbs? I want to know so I don't over do carbs for the day.

Also, people on low carb: Do you avoid fruit? How many carbs do you limit yourself per day? How much protein? My protein limit seems pretty high and I almost never reach that high. What do you suggest eating to get more protein (especially snacks)?

Replies

• tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have been doing low carb because that always works for me. I try to stay under 50 carbs perday. Some days I will eat something heavy in carbs like brown rice but will have light carbs with all my other meals. I have been trying to stay away from fruit because it is high in carbs and sugar. But if I do have fruit ill let that be my high carb item for the day. I do this so that when I eventually do start back eating carbs (in moderation) I wont gain all my weight back. But I will make the conscience decision to watch carbs forever.
  • AFitasticYou
    AFitasticYou Posts: 170
    Options
    I am doing low carb. Not exactly Atkins because I'm making up my own numbers (75-80 carbs a day). However, I still eat the Atkins bars. I know they say only 3 NET carbs, but when I log it in my diary it says 14 carbs. Should I consider it as 3 carbs or 14 carbs? I want to know so I don't over do carbs for the day.

Also, people on low carb: Do you avoid fruit? How many carbs do you limit yourself per day? How much protein? My protein limit seems pretty high and I almost never reach that high. What do you suggest eating to get more protein (especially snacks)?

On the Atkins bars it should tell you to to subtract fiber, sugar alcohols, including glycerin. They should be subtracted fromt he total carbs since they minimally impact blood sugar. That is how they get the net carbs. Not sure how you should add it to MFP, but the Net Carbs is what you need to be concerned about. (I just started, but this is how I'm understanding it! I'm doing Atkins.)

Atkins tells you to avoid fruit the first 2 weeks because you are only allowed 20g of carbs. And Fruit has alot of carbs. After the 2 weeks you can start adding more carbs. Again, I just started but I have been doing cheese sticks with mustard for snacks. Or the Atkins bars. I think beef jerky is allowed, but I haven't looked into it. I have been eating burgers, steak, lunchmeat. All that do not have any carbs.

My dinner last night was 2 burgers, cheese, lettuce, real mayo, mustard, squash and zucchini. Which ended up being about 8 carbs.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping this for further read.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • AshleyReeder
    Options
    I am also going low carb. I always shoot for 20 but no more than 35 a day. I am doing Turbo Fire for my exercise workout and it is very high impact do during the day I do not worry so much about the carbs. When I am craving something sweet at night I grab a body fortress whey protein shake and make it with water since it only has 4 grms of carbs. It helps with the cravings =).
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb (not strict Atkin's) and am trying to keep my total carb count under 25/daily. I wondered the same thing about the Atkins bars when my husband thought he was being nice and brought a box home for me (love him). So far, I have decided to not go into the net carbs, subtracting sugar alcohols, etc route. If I happen to "slip up" and eat one, then I will count the total carbs, I guess. I am mainly trying to get my carbs from berries and veggies and staying away from the "goodies" for now :)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I eat Paleo/Primal and skew towards lower carbs (about 85 or less/day) - I do eat fruit but I usually limit myself to one a day - and then it is usually a small apple or some berries. I also have to watch some of the higher carb veggies I like (sweet potatoes and squash).

As for snacks

Nuts (almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts)
    Avocado/guacamole - I use baby carrots, red pepper strips for dipping (have to watch these a bit because they do have some carbs/sugars)
    Pork rinds
    Rotissire chicken
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Nuts (almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts)
    Avocado/guacamole - I use baby carrots, red pepper strips for dipping (have to watch these a bit because they do have some carbs/sugars)
    Pork rinds
    Rotissire chicken

These all sound great. Thank you for the suggestions!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My carbs are less than 30g/day, probably less than 20 most days. That's "net carbs" if you're American.

Yes, I avoid sweet fruits - they're carb rich. I do have low carb berries regularly, but nothing dripping in sugars. The odd small apple eaten with cheese to depress the GI.

Protein I aim around 70g/day.

The rest is oils and fats.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I chose to follow a scientifically proven method that's worked for millions of people. I keep my carbs as close to 20 net per day as I can, 12-15 from veg. That leaves no room for fruit until I hit maintenance. Berries would be my choice if you need fruit. For the occasional sweet snack, I'll have half an Atkins bar and only count the net grams. I keep a tally going in the notes of my diary so I don't have to rely on MFP's numbers.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    just eat bacon :flowerforyou:
  • Forthegc2012
    Forthegc2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can have MFP track NET Carbs if you are using Google Chrome. First you must add Fiber to the items to be tracked in your diary settings. Then go here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/124645 Choose the INSTALL button top right hand of page.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Or pork rinds! LOL! I was on a low carb diet, i.e. 20 gms, about 20 years ago and pork rinds became my new BFF! Not actually forever because I can hardly look at one now! LOL!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I also count my carbs 50-72 is where I feel the best. 20 carbs or less my mind and body takes revenge on me. I did the Atkins inducton for 3 wks and hubby said if I did not get off of the induction he was ready to kick me to the curb,and I felt the same way about him. :laugh: I mainly have to watch carbs because of severe hypoglycemia the kind that can end you in a coma or with double vision. I find it extra tough counting carbs, calories at the same time. Oh and I try to keep my fats high and protein minimum 120 and sodium 1500. Not easy it seems when I am not worried about these 5 things I have to struggle knowing I am not drinking enough water. :drinker: not to mention the arguments I have with my scale calling it a liar and yelling for it to catch up with the inches I am losing! :grumble:

I do eat fruit mainly berries but I have to have my granny smith apple with peanut butter on it daily.:love: I make sure I count the carbs and balance carbs when i eat them with protein. I never eat sugar. Kicking sugar was not easy for me and I still get tears in my eyes thinking of what a milk chocolate candy bar tastes like, never again to taste one for the rest of my life can get a bit :sad: