How many calories should i eat a day?

Options
I am really confused at how many calories I should be eating per day to loose weight? i am 180cm tall, 28 years old, have a desk job, exercise 6 times a week sometimes twice on these days... I find it hard to work out hoping you can help

Replies

• njohnston64
    njohnston64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here's a quick calculator that helped clarify things for me. I especially liked the 7-Day Calculator (zig-zag).
  • njohnston64
    njohnston64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Input your stats into MFP....don't try to lose too much too quickly... and follow what it says. If that's not working readjust after a time...maybe a month or so.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

How much you exercise doesn't figure into it because you log that separately.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Calculate your BMR, which is how many calories your body is using just to stay alive. Then calculate your TDEE, which is how many calories your body uses on an average day including exercise.

To lose one pound a week, you should be eating 500 calories fewer than your TDEE every day (500 calories x 7 days a week = 3500 calories, and 3500 calories=1 lb of body fat). However, you should not regularly consume fewer calories than your BMR. If you find you are regularly consuming less than BMR, which is unlikely since you exercise, you should slow down your weightloss goals.

The way the MFP calculator works is by estimating how many calories you use daily without exercising, but with all the other daily moving around, and subtracts the appropriate number of calories a day based on your weightloss goals (500 calories for 1 lb a week). Then, it adds in the extra calories based on how many you burn through exercise. This gets around the problem of people who say they are going to be soooo well-behaved and use the gym and hour every day, and then never go. :)
  • ashshields12
    ashshields12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have done the calculator for my BMR and it says 1750. But when I do the MFP calculator from the link below it says 1220. I have also calculated my tdee and it's 2719. I guess this is why I am confused. People say stick to the 1220 no matter what excercise then others say if you excercise eat more.

I am losing and feel fine but just don't want it too be unhealthy. I have lost 13.7kgs in 12 weeks. I would ideally like to lose 1.5-2kgs a week... What should I be changing to make this happen??