Help! I need healthy recipes for picky little children!

Options
2»

Replies

• thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Make a list for each kid and put it on the refrigerator -- it should contain their favorite meals, and foods they like. My kids love adding to their lists -- which means they are more willing to try new foods!

Brownies with carrots & spinach

http://www.oprah.com/food/Brownies-with-Carrot-and-Spinach
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I thought the title of this was '...for PORKY little children...' and cracked up!

((bump- recipes are always good, for porky and picky children :))
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Our children had always two choices at meal time: either eat was they were served, or wait until the next meal. They now have very adventurous tatstes.

^^^ This!! That's how I was raised and now I love everything.

My kids eat what is served to them. If they don't like it, they don't get anything else till next meal time.

Once a week we have a family night. They get their choice of dinner, alternating weeks between children, and can choose the menu for dinner and the activity for the night. Yes, we have had some very strange dinners on family nights, but it gives them something to look forward too, and have foods they really want but don't get on a regular basis. They are getting really creative witht their choices now too.

I'm not about to make 2 dinners every night. My daughter didn't like most things growing up. She is now 16 and loves it all! She tells my 8 year old when he says he doesn't like something just to try it, and that he will really like it when he's older. She knows first hand.

This is how I was raised as well; I was a vegetarian for quite a while (10ish years) living in a house full of carnivores. I always ate whatever we were eating, minus the meat.

I love the idea for Family Night - quite awesome! I'm hoping my son (now 8.5 months) is not a picky eater, but I think that insisting he try everything will help to avoid that.

Loving the recipes provided so far!! Keep them coming!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to add that visual presentation and convenience are a big deal too!!!! If fruits are displayed and easily accessible my kids ask for them several times a day... if they are "put away" somewhere and they can't see them ...they won't even think about them. The same goes for junk food!! HIDE THE JUNK FOOD...lol I put Easter candy for example in a basket WAY out of sight and if they ask I give them 1 piece per day. After about a week or SO they forget ALL about the candy and quit asking for it SO I throw the rest of it in the trash and they NEVER miss it ;)

I seriously do this too! I keep apples, bananas, and oranges in a big bowl on the counter. On a shelf that they can see I also keep whole grain Goldfish and pretzels. Those are the snacks that they ask for now.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    bump
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Our children had always two choices at meal time: either eat was they were served, or wait until the next meal. They now have very adventurous tatstes.

That's the way mine are raised. There are a few things that I know each of them really doesn't like and I don't force the issue on those but I will not allow them to dictate what we have for dinner every night!
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump to look at info..mine aren't picky and I like to try new stuff :o)
  • Alexis14351
    Options
    Do you involve your kids in any of the grocery shopping or cooking? I've gotten my daughter to try so many different healthy foods she used to turn her nose up to by letting her help me shop (for produce especially, she likes to feel and smell everything) and prepare food.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My kids (4 and 18mnths) aren't picky thanks god, they'll eat anything. But one of my favorite ways to get a little extra into them is smoothies, they love them. My daughters favorite is green stuff :

1 cup milk
    1/2 cup greek yoghurt
    1/4 avacado
    big handful spinach
    tsp honey
    1/2 banana
    - sometimes I throw in whatever fruit is looking abit wilted - strawberries, blueberries or whatever.

I let her throw it in and switch it on. She devours it
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    line cupcake pan with canadian bacon
    add shredded cheese to 3/4 full (cheddar, pepper jack are our favorites)
    make a little hole in top by pressing thumb in center
    crack an egg on top
    salt and pepper

bake 350 degrees F for about 15-20 min depending on how you like your eggs

kids of all ages in my life like this....we have it for any meal...the older kids like a dash of
    tobasco on theirs.

each cupcake is about 113 calories...enjoy!!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump!