my mommy

Celestia
Celestia Posts: 106 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I want my mom to join me in this fitness journey! I showed her this website and how it works and the success stories and she was amazed. She is turning 50 this year and she has advanced diabetes and also is starting to have nerve damage on her hand and arms because she doesn't take care of herself. I tried getting her to sign up for Curves or showing her how to cook and eat healthy but she doesn't put forth any serious effort. I asked her if losing a limb from diabetes is a wake up call and she said yes, I told her I didn't want a one armed mom and begged her to take control of her life and her health...:cry::sad: :brokenheart:

What can I do to make her wake up before her diabetes ruins her and takes her away?

Replies

• JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    No one will change unless they first WANT to change. Nothing you can say or do can change how she feels. She is probably very scared of the lifestyle changes that come with weight loss. However, your weight loss and exercise might motivate her a little. I would suggest that you pray for her (if you believe).
  • jessicael
    jessicael Posts: 18 Member
    I agree. You can not force her and she has to want it. Maybe do some research online and show her the consequences and that she can change it. Pushing her is not going to help, I was pushed to loose weight and it just made me angry. Then when I really wanted it, not for anyone else but for myself, I started to loose weight. And if you believe, you should pray for her. Good luck!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Unfortunately, I agree with what everyone else that has posted is saying.

She has to want to do it for herself.

She should be watching her carbs very, very closely. I am diabetic and my grandmother was a double amputee with nerve damage in hands, arms, feet and legs. Along with neuropathy in her eyes, glaucoma and heart disease was starting to develop.

I started researching earlier this year about things and I don't want to end up like my grandmother did, so I can controlling carbs to a point of OCD and I pass along all information I have to anyone I can.

Too many carbs, including carbs from many fruits will send her blood sugar out of control causing her triglycerides to rise to extremely high amounts and that starts to cause heart disease, especially in diabetics.

I pray that she wakes up and will listen to you. I am scared for her and you both. I know you don't want to lose your mom, your childrens grandmother, but you can only keep positive and encourage her, but only she can make the change for herself.
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Sorry you are in that situation but you cant change your mother or anyone. If that was the case we would not all be here because we would of changed long before my fitness pal. But I hope she does wake up and see the way she is living is hurting her and you.

I wish you and your family the best of luck.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    i think im gonna push this on my dad more. and by push, i mean, sit him down and be like 'i want to show you something amazing' because i have offered to show him this and he says no. but the success stories literally are amazing, people on here have transformed from being not just feeling bad about their bodies but from also being unhealthy to feeling way better and healthy and being fitness warriors!

i hope she joins up!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    The best way to lead is by example. You have expressed yourself, and she heard you.

Now continue to love her and tell her about all the amazing experiences you have with you new lifestyle!!

I love to race my kids up the stairs............BEAT ya again!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I can only lead by example...and hope she catches on.:heart:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I'm going to be 50 in April. I've been where your Mom is. I'd be happy to talk to her, via email or whatever.

I pray she is given ears to hear, and that her heart is opened to this new adventure.

You also might want to tell her that it's fine to start small. Small tiny steps can lead to great big hurdles!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I'm going to be 50 in April. I've been where your Mom is. I'd be happy to talk to her, via email or whatever.

I pray she is given ears to hear, and that her heart is opened to this new adventure.

You also might want to tell her that it's fine to start small. Small tiny steps can lead to great big hurdles!

Not to hijack this thread, but you are turning FIFTY soon?? :noway: I had NO IDEA. I thought you were in your 30s. Do people mistake your grandkids as your kids? (For real.)
This discussion has been closed.