sigh....

Options
mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
So, I've done MFP on and off for years. I found that counting calories alone wasn't working. I've done South BEach, WW, low cal etc..Never had good results. (I owuld lose for a week or 2 then plateu.) .A little over a yr ago I started Medifast. I lost 40 lbs in 8 months, but can't afford it anymore. SO, i've been trying to eat the same amt of calories and carbs as Medifast without the foods. NOT WORKING. I've also started the P90x exercise program. In the past month i've been eating 900-1000 cals and 60-80 carbs.

In the last 2 weeks i've GAINED 4 lbs :(

So, i'm trying MFP again. Upped my cals to 1100 to 1200. Still trying to keep carbs around 70 to 80. Still doing P90X. Hoping and praying i see results.

(I still have 30-40 lbs to lose :(

Any suggestions?

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You're eating 900-1000 while doing P90X?

There's your problem. You are not providing your body with enough fuel. Eat more... a lot more.. and you will begin to see results. 1100-1200 is not enough for that workout program nor is it enough nutrition for you body.
  • mjj79
    Options

There's your problem. You are not providing your body with enough fuel. Eat more... a lot more.. and you will begin to see results. 1100-1200 is not enough for that workout program nor is it enough nutrition for you body.

But will I lose weight if i eat even more? HOnestly, getting in 1200 healthy calories is hard after doing 800 to 1000. (BTW< thanks for replying.)
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Not to sound harsh here but have you tried anything long term or is it bouncing from one program to the next besides Medifast?

First of all you are NOT eating enough! 900-1000 calories a day plus are you burning over 300 per work out if not more so you might net around 600 a day?? I wouldn't have the energy to function. If you are looking for long term results you need to start eating. You body is going to be so used to you eating so little that you will not be able to keep this up long term. And after 2 weeks of losing and one week not doesn't mean it's a plateau. I won't lose for weeks then drop 3lbs then nothing for a week or two then drop a lb or two.

For you two have gained 4lbs you would have had to eaten 12,500 calories on top of what you normally eat and burn in a day.. Doesn't sound like you are doing that. And i'm sure someone on MFP can answer that better then I

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing ( you are basically eating this after exercise)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to use food to lose weight. Use food to fuel your body so that you can use exercise to change it. I am LOSING weight on 2500 calories a day. That is because 2500 calories a day allows me to lift heavier, play longer, and work harder. Calories are my ally not my enemy.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight eating more.

You will lose weight eating lower than you should however your metabolism will slow down when not given adequate nutrition.

Eat more.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

This....I was doing Insanity and upped my cals from 1200 to 1450 and lost a couple of pounds within the first week or two. I also eat most of my exercise cals back. Not eating enough will actually have your body store the fat you have because it is not getting enough nutrients!!

Please try upping your cals for a month or so, you will feel so much better!!
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, check out the group on here, eat more weigh less. it works it helped me
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So, I've done MFP on and off for years. I found that counting calories alone wasn't working. I've done South BEach, WW, low cal etc..Never had good results. (I owuld lose for a week or 2 then plateu.) .A little over a yr ago I started Medifast. I lost 40 lbs in 8 months, but can't afford it anymore. SO, i've been trying to eat the same amt of calories and carbs as Medifast without the foods. NOT WORKING. I've also started the P90x exercise program. In the past month i've been eating 900-1000 cals and 60-80 carbs.

In the last 2 weeks i've GAINED 4 lbs :(

So, i'm trying MFP again. Upped my cals to 1100 to 1200. Still trying to keep carbs around 70 to 80. Still doing P90X. Hoping and praying i see results.

(I still have 30-40 lbs to lose :(

Any suggestions?

Doing P90X your daily calorie goal should not be less than 1800. This is from the P90X diet guides lowest intake.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to use food to lose weight. Use food to fuel your body so that you can use exercise to change it. I am LOSING weight on 2500 calories a day. That is because 2500 calories a day allows me to lift heavier, play longer, and work harder. Calories are my ally not my enemy.

So true - and great attitude!

We get stuck thinking that the only way to lose is to eat as little as possible. But our bodies rebel against that, and you can do some serious long term damage to your metabolism that way.

I eat at least 2100 calories a day. I started at 1200, bumped up to 1700 (not net....before exercise, and not eating my exercise calories back). I started to plateau and my hair started falling out. Now, I'm up to at least 2100, I'm losing weight and I feel great.

We NEED calories! Search the "Eat More to Weigh Less" topics. Lots of good info out there!!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    So, i'm trying MFP again. Upped my cals to 1100 to 1200.
    Is that the target that MFP recommends for you, or did you come up with that target?
  • mjj79
    Options
    Wow. OK> I can honestly say that eating more scares the heck out of me. LIke my stomach is cramping right now at the idea of eating more. I'm soooooo afraid. I hate feeling so paralyzed by this weight issue.

I find it's hard to increase cals without increasing carbs and fat. Do you all follow the recommended percentages from MFP?

I forget who mentioned how long I stay on a program, but usually several months at a time. When i mentioned all those programs, i meant those are all that i've tried in the past 8 yrs.

thanks everyone.
  • mjj79
    Options
    Is that the target that MFP recommends for you, or did you come up with that target?

I think MFP came up with 1200.... I'll double check tho.
  • Aes37850
    Aes37850 Posts: 48
    Options
    Definitely eat more! With your exercise you're pretty much putting your body into starvation mode. And just because you gain doesn't mean you're not losing inches or gaining muscle. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. And there are several ways to tell if you're 'losing'
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow. OK> I can honestly say that eating more scares the heck out of me. LIke my stomach is cramping right now at the idea of eating more. I'm soooooo afraid. I hate feeling so paralyzed by this weight issue.

I find it's hard to increase cals without increasing carbs and fat. Do you all follow the recommended percentages from MFP?

I forget who mentioned how long I stay on a program, but usually several months at a time. When i mentioned all those programs, i meant those are all that i've tried in the past 8 yrs.

thanks everyone.

I think you need to honestly see a food physiologist if food freaks you out this much to the point that you won't eat. I have never really watched much more than calories and sodium. I run and play sports a lot, so I really enjoy the extra energy bank.
  • erickirb
    Options

I think MFP came up with 1200.... I'll double check tho.

That would be 1200 Net (1200 plus what you burn from exercise) So if you burned 500, MFP would tell you to eat 1700 (1200+500).
  • erickirb
    Options

thanks everyone.

What is wrong with more carbs and fat? As long as you eat under maintenance they will be used as energy, not stored as fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Youre body wont follow the formulas. It needs fuel in order to cut weight. Also the reason you keep failing is you do these extreme diets. Trust me i did p90x on 1800 calories and didnt lose anything but then i did clx on 2600 and lose 11 lbs, 3% body fat amd 6" and i am within the last 10 lbs. When you start taking care of your body and fuel the fire it will drop the weight.

The bigger problem is now you have to work on fixing your metabolism with all the under eating.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

But will I lose weight if i eat even more? HOnestly, getting in 1200 healthy calories is hard after doing 800 to 1000. (BTW< thanks for replying.)

There is a group on MFP called "Eat More to Lose Weight" or something along those lines. You need to check them out. They can help with the calorie thing. Especially if you're doing p90x, you gotta eat more.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

thanks everyone.

Don't forget to get good protein in your body. It was recommended to me to get at least 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass. I aim for around 120g but that number increases after I work out. You can also change your macro info and you don't have to follow what MFP gives you. I think I am at about 30% protein 15% Fat and 15% carbs. A protein shake is a good way too add some extra cals and good protein to your diet.

Oh and don't listen to the post that said muscle weighs more than fat 5lbs of muscle weighs the same as 5lbs of fat. Volume wise yes fat takes up more space but it does not weight more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ps - dietary fat doesnt turn into body fat. Fat is actually very good for you and will improve your skin and hair and make you less irretable.