ChaLean Extreme Questions

Options
Could someone help me with these questions about ChaLean - I am thinking about buying, but it is soooo expensive, that I want to know what I am getting into!

(1) What equipment do I need? Just weights and a mat?
(2) Do you do the DVD 7 days a week? Any rest days? Any other training? What about running?
(3) How long is each days' workout?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Betty
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• purple120
    purple120 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hey Betty,

I'm doing CX right now and previously did P90X. I'll try to answer some of your questions, but check us out at "Chalean Go Heavy or Go Home" you'll find more info there.

You do need weights or bands if you have them. I invested in the bowflex, because I needed heavier weights. It all depends on your fitness level where you start off with.

There are two rest days during the week. I take the rest days Tuesday and Sunday. But I still find time to do a turbo jam or a short run.

There are three phases in this program. Burn, Push and Lean, with three different workouts for each phase. There is also Burn Intervals you do one day in-between, Burn-it off and Recharge, along with two ab workouts.

The workouts are between 30-45 min, so yeah I get to do other stuff.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing the Burn phase of CX. Weights or bands are required. I am using dumbbells and some old adjustable weights of my husbands. You are scheduled to work out 5 days a week. 3 of those are weight lifting and 2 are cardio/abs/stretching. All workouts are on the DVDs. Currently I'm also training for a 10 miler and a half marathon. For me working the running around the workouts has been a bit of a challenge. I run 4 days a week and right now need at least 1 rest day a week. I'm doing the circuits on run days after my run and have actually been impressed with how strong I feel during the workouts (I think it is leftover runner high). So far I'm liking the DVDs it is definitely a step up from Power 90 which I had done before this. I selected CX over P90X because the workouts are shorter, right around 40 min or less.
  • Cynder
    Cynder Posts: 79
    Options
    You can use either weights or bands. I'm on the Push phase and use between 5-20 lbs.
    The schedule is
    Day 1 B/P/L Circuit 1
    day 2 rest
    day thee B/P/L Circuit 2
    day 4 Burn Intervals and Ab workout
    day 5 B/P/L Circuit 3

You do the first month with Burn (B), month two is Push (P) and month three is Lean (L)

Each of the lifting workouts for burn and push are about 32-37 minutes, the cardio days are about 50 minutes all said and done, and the lean workouts are around 45 minutes.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Hey Betty,

I'm doing CX right now and previously did P90X. I'll try to answer some of your questions, but check us out at "Chalean Go Heavy or Go Home" you'll find more info there.

You do need weights or bands if you have them. I invested in the bowflex, because I needed heavier weights. It all depends on your fitness level where you start off with.

There are two rest days during the week. I take the rest days Tuesday and Sunday. But I still find time to do a turbo jam or a short run.

There are three phases in this program. Burn, Push and Lean, with three different workouts for each phase. There is also Burn Intervals you do one day in-between, Burn-it off and Recharge, along with two ab workouts.

Thanks Purple!!!

So I could use the weights I already have ( sets of 5,8,10 lbs)?

Thanks again!
    Betty
  • ccleadbyexample
    Options
    Hey there,
    I love this program...one thing to think about it is once you get it..you don't really have to spend more if you don't want. Cheaper than a gym and you get nutrition/motivation/workout all in one!
    1) If you are on carpet no mat is needed. You can either use weights or bands..bands are cheaper. I have used them in the past but I like weights for this. She has a DVD to show you how to do each exercise for either a band or weight..and has several people in each video showing modifications for both.
    2) There is a program schedule with it..which I think includes 2 off days. It has some interval training in it..but I am a runner and the schedule works great for me to still be able to do that!
    3) Longest days are 45 min max..most days are more like 30-40 min..with 2 off days. Very doable!

If you like Chalene and are looking for a good strength program with interval training mixed in..this is perfect. It is a great compliement to my running and turbo jam!
    Casey
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    I'm just finishing the Burn phase of CX. Weights or bands are required. I am using dumbbells and some old adjustable weights of my husbands. You are scheduled to work out 5 days a week. 3 of those are weight lifting and 2 are cardio/abs/stretching. All workouts are on the DVDs. Currently I'm also training for a 10 miler and a half marathon. For me working the running around the workouts has been a bit of a challenge. I run 4 days a week and right now need at least 1 rest day a week. I'm doing the circuits on run days after my run and have actually been impressed with how strong I feel during the workouts (I think it is leftover runner high). So far I'm liking the DVDs it is definitely a step up from Power 90 which I had done before this. I selected CX over P90X because the workouts are shorter, right around 40 min or less.

Thanks for responding! With all that work, you must be getting ripped!!!
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    You can use either weights or bands. I'm on the Push phase and use between 5-20 lbs.
    The schedule is
    Day 1 B/P/L Circuit 1
    day 2 rest
    day thee B/P/L Circuit 2
    day 4 Burn Intervals and Ab workout
    day 5 B/P/L Circuit 3

You do the first month with Burn (B), month two is Push (P) and month three is Lean (L)

Each of the lifting workouts for burn and push are about 32-37 minutes, the cardio days are about 50 minutes all said and done, and the lean workouts are around 45 minutes.

Thanks Cynder! Could I do my own run instead of the cardio DVD's, or do you have to do the DVD? (for maximum effectiveness I mean!)
    :smile:
  • purple120
    purple120 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hey Betty,

Thanks Purple!!!

Thanks again!
    Betty

This is great for you to start with, but you'll see that as you get stronger you are going to need more weights. That will definitely help with your goal of becoming more shredded. :wink:
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Hey there,
    I love this program...one thing to think about it is once you get it..you don't really have to spend more if you don't want. Cheaper than a gym and you get nutrition/motivation/workout all in one!
    1) If you are on carpet no mat is needed. You can either use weights or bands..bands are cheaper. I have used them in the past but I like weights for this. She has a DVD to show you how to do each exercise for either a band or weight..and has several people in each video showing modifications for both.
    2) There is a program schedule with it..which I think includes 2 off days. It has some interval training in it..but I am a runner and the schedule works great for me to still be able to do that!
    3) Longest days are 45 min max..most days are more like 30-40 min..with 2 off days. Very doable!

If you like Chalene and are looking for a good strength program with interval training mixed in..this is perfect. It is a great compliement to my running and turbo jam!
    Casey

Thanks Casey! I am working on my running, so I am glad this will work in. I think I will get it!
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Hey Betty,

Thanks Purple!!!

Thanks again!
    Betty

This is great for you to start with, but you'll see that as you get stronger you are going to need more weights. That will definitely help with your goal of becoming more shredded. :wink:

Thanks again Purple! I can't even imagine being able to lift heavier than the 10 pounders - they seem so heavy right now!
    :tongue:
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hey Betty,

Thanks Purple!!!

Thanks again!
    Betty

Thanks again Purple! I can't even imagine being able to lift heavier than the 10 pounders - they seem so heavy right now!
    :tongue:

You will be surprised at what you can lift! I have the select Tech weights and have gone up to 25lbs so far. if you buy the deluxe version you will get the exercise bands and then you don't need weights. I think the bands are super challenging but I usually use weights.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ccleadbyexample
    Options
    Keep in touch..and if you have any questions def let me know!
    Be sure to use your beach body coach for support too..that's what they are there for..
    Casey:bigsmile: