Gym vs. Working out at home

Options

Replies

• Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, I have my own designated "workout room" which I want to eventually stock up with more weights,
    then there's always outdoors, running/walking/sprinting/etc
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I've decided I'm going to be cancelling my gym membership as soon as my contract ends because having to go to a gym to get my workout on is just too much trouble. The fact that I can only make it in during peak hours when you're waiting to use most of the equipment doesn't help. Commuting to the gym makes the act of working out a lot more time consuming, and plus having to actually make the trip a lot of the time just doesn't seem worth the trouble when I have some home equipment, some videos, and can get my workout done in just the commute time to and from the gym alone.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I wish I had the motivation to workout at home. I like having the structure of going to my gym classes each night before work. It gets me exercising every day, socializing with friends, and being up during the day. Otherwise, I'd be sleeping the entire day away and then going to work at night. :p
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Except for my tri club related sessions (and swimming - I don't have a 25m pool in the garage!:happy: ) I workout at home. I like the convenience and cost savings.

The trick is to build up your equipment piece by piece and, whenever you can, buy used. Right now there are probably a ton of weight benches etc for sale on craigslist & kijiji that were bought as part of New Years resolutions and barely touched. Let someone else pay for the depreciation! (do your research to make sure it really is a good deal.....)
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi,

I went to the gym for 13 years for 4 to 5 days a week but when I moved further away from it I decided to try working out at home. I changed a spare room into a workout room and now have a pull up bar, a bench, a good range of dumbells and a mat. I have a tv mounted on the wall and dvd player. I got the P90x dvds and have been doing those and also 3 of Jillian Michaels DVDs to stop getting bored and to mix things up a bit. I can honestly say I get just as good a workout with those as when I went to the gym, in fact I'm getting better results. I did recently treat myself to a treadmill - but I'd always wanted one and waited quite a while to get one. With all of those things I'm extremely happy with working out at home - I workout in the mornings so sometimes put my sports bra on and work out in my pj bottoms!

Another plus side is that I'm not waiting around to use equipment and I save alot of time not having to travel to and from the gym.

Good luck :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've decided I'm going to be cancelling my gym membership as soon as my contract ends because having to go to a gym to get my workout on is just too much trouble. The fact that I can only make it in during peak hours when you're waiting to use most of the equipment doesn't help. Commuting to the gym makes the act of working out a lot more time consuming, and plus having to actually make the trip a lot of the time just doesn't seem worth the trouble when I have some home equipment, some videos, and can get my workout done in just the commute time to and from the gym alone.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I wish I had the motivation to workout at home. I like having the structure of going to my gym classes each night before work. It gets me exercising every day, socializing with friends, and being up during the day. Otherwise, I'd be sleeping the entire day away and then going to work at night. :p

I'm not a social person. For me its simply a matter of routine.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I let go of my membership when hubby surprised me with an elliptical, that was mainly what I was going to the gym. I also use videos and rotate all my workouts. I love that I can just get up, get ready for my w/o and start it anytime, without having to leave the house. I enjoy working out so staying motivated is not a problem for me.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Might find some useful info here

http://hmrjmr1.hubpages.com/hub/Free-Weights-Vs-Bowfles-Club-Membership-Vs-Home-Gym-Whats-Right-for-You

Personally I like working out at home and I work part of my day in a fitness center a hospital.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think if going to a gym is a social thing then its worth it.

I got a home set-up and workout with a mate .. while we can get a bit layzy we have certainly stuck at it for a long time and I think having your own gear and space and as you said not having to deal with other people has been a major factor in this

Home gym is now so important to me I would lose a lot of other things before I would give up a gym, maybee even my precious garage. and if I move somewhere where I can have cables and treadmill will swing it
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I now workout from home mostly with wii cardio (boxing) and zumba. Unfortunately I don't have the space to have lots of gym equipment at home. Just need to STAY MOTIVATED. Oh but a skipping rope doesn't cost much or take up much room and you can pretend your a kid agin :)
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I actually love working out at home and have lost almost all the weight I wanted to lose here at home. I have done 10+ workout programs over the years and have plenty of videos, I have a very small gym in my home office for when I want to do my own crazy workouts and hand weights 3, 5, 10, 15 lbs. I also swim in the community pool and go for walks and runs with my kids. I am in the best shape I have ever been in.

I recently got a YMCA membership and I like working out with other people, but the drive kills me. But since my kids are taking programs there I can work out while they get Karate/Dance lessons and it does save time.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym the nearest one is 40 minutes away so it is not only the time but the fuel I save by working out at home or just walking around our small town. I have a few pieces of equipment I picked up in the sales at a great price, would now like to buy and electric treadmill because my doctor won't let me use my manual ones so will send them to the thrift shops.
    I worked out at home for years iwth just a few video's now DVD's and hand weights and i also have ankle weights although temperarily missed placed.
  • TinaHumphries
    TinaHumphries Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For me, it's gotta be working out at home.

Even though my wobbly bits don't wobble so much now:laugh: , I workout much better when I'm not worrying about who can see them.
  • Mariaisgettingfit
    Options
    I used to go to the gym but I'm pretty self-concious and I felt like I wasn't as good as the others, or that they were looking at me. (Silly, I know.) I also found that it was far too expensive as I'm a student with just a weekend job. Working out at home is better for me because I feel like I can let myself go and sweat it all out without nobody seeing! I definitely think it's just as good if not better!
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    I work out at home and so far my investment has been a few fitness DVDs, Wii games, dumbbells, a kettlebell and running shoes :) I love it and I hate the gym with a passion
  • walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I only workout at home. We live in the country and to far to go and it is too expensive for my budget as well.

I walk almost everyday, I have a home gym and use it about 3 time a week and I have DVD's. So you just have to motivate yourself to do it.
  • deborahjoan56
    deborahjoan56 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do both, workout at home with a weight machine and also run. Then I take kickboxing classes twice a week at a local Martial Arts school, that's great and its a terrific workout
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I prefer home.

olympic bar w/ 300lbs of weights = 300
    power rack = 300
    bowflex selectable weights= 600
    bench= 120
    tower=150
    trx=200

A few small things here and there, comes to about $2000-2500. Works for me. I don't like going to a gym when I can do what I need at home. No travel, no waiting.
    If I feel like taking my heavy bag outside and doing carries with it i can. And my daughter likes to workout with me!
    558689_465452266802592_1195988751_n.jpg
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I prefer home.

olympic bar w/ 300lbs of weights = 300
    power rack = 300
    bowflex selectable weights= 600
    bench= 120
    tower=150
    trx=200

A few small things here and there, comes to about $2000-2500. Works for me. I don't like going to a gym when I can do what I need at home. No travel, no waiting.
    If I feel like taking my heavy bag outside and doing carries with it i can. And my daughter likes to workout with me!
    558689_465452266802592_1195988751_n.jpg

+1 for the TRX. I own a similar suspension trainer and I love it. It is the core of the "autism-friendly" workout program I put together for myself that has shown me better results than any program I've tried.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    For me, it's gotta be working out at home.

Even though my wobbly bits don't wobble so much now:laugh: , I workout much better when I'm not worrying about who can see them.

Conversely when I go to a gym now it amazes me how good I look in comparison to everyone else -- bar the odd few very fit. ( usually feel very negative about my progress)

Not seeing other people and with me working out with someone who if pretty fit is possibly a bit of a negative in terms of how well you think you are doing in the long run - but I know what you mean
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    People are douche bags, so it's just better for me to workout at home. When I used to belong to a gym, I never talked to anyone because they disrupt you and want to have conversations, and I'm always timing my workouts and rest periods and all that. I know most people are more casual about it, but I'm really not. I make it count and I'm out of there in 45 minutes. I'm not a 2.5 hour fat blabber mouth gym person. Sorry, but that's the truth. I've decided that it's just better that I build out a home gym and just do it alone. I'm pretty motivated so I don't have any problem sticking with it. Plus, I can workout naked, if I want. :-)

The only downside (I've been working out at home for about a year) is that I am very competitive. So, seeing some of the guys working out, sometimes motivated me to push harder. But, I don't know if that matters all that much. I've been doing great on my own.