Random - but need advice about my puppy

Options
2»

Replies

• galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    While she is there, they should clip her nails for you for about 6-10 dollars.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I tried to get a picture of it, but she just thinks its a game. Basically there's about 15% of her nail left. About 5% of that 15% is hollow and you can see down into it. I'm assuming that 10% that's left is where her "quick" is and that it hasn't been affected because there isn't any blood.

The groomer idea is a pretty good one. I might actually do that. Her nails are starting to get long so I wanted to take her in soon anyway to have them trimmed.

Does it look like what happens after you trim her nails? If it's a broken nail that doesn't affect the quick, she's not in pain and there's no blood, it isn't a big deal. Was the "rotated up" part just the twisted nail before it fell off? I would keep an eye on it. If it gets, red, swells, seems painful or she starts to limp, take her to a vet. Without seeing it, I can't say for sure that it's not a big deal, but absent blood or any signs of pain, it doesn't sound like an emergency to me. Since her nails are long, my best guess would be a broken nail.
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi guys! I just got back from the vet. He said it wasn't a huge problem. If it had been bleeding, then it would have been. I got the rest of her nails trimmed nice and short to help prevent this :)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was just her dew claw. Puppies lose those and when my dogs did, it looked like a "finger" was falling off. However, if it is hurting, then she needs to see a vet cuz if it is broken, it will need to be set and if it is her nail, it could get infected. I am no vet but I am an animal freak and have been living with them all my life. I have two dogs now.

Puppies don't "lose" their dew claws. They get ripped off. They're supposed to be there, but because when they're little the bone hasn't fully developed a lot of time they get caught and rip off, or the breeder will have them clipped prior to purchase to avoid them getting ripped off. But many full grown dogs have them.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I just got back from the vet. He said it wasn't a huge problem. If it had been bleeding, then it would have been. I got the rest of her nails trimmed nice and short to help prevent this :)
    [/quote

Glad she's ok!