What do I eat?

I have major issues eating animals and have gone vegan for the last week. I have also gained 5 pounds in that week. I cannot eat soy as my kids are allergic to it. It seems without the animal products I am never full and find myself eating all day long. I need to lose this weight to feel better about myself. I also cannot eat anything with gluten in it as it causes major stomach issues and again my kids are allergic to gluten. What can I eat to be full AND lose weight???

Replies

• Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    nuts have a lot of calories and you have to watch the fat, but the protein in them will help keep you full :)
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Sorry about your animal issues..I <3 me some meat! Can u do whey protein?
  • stephmo86
    stephmo86 Posts: 45
    There's a great book called "the New Becoming Vegetarian." It breaks down the nutrients in different foods, what most people need in their bodies, and has some recipes. I love it, and I'm not a vegetarian. There's also the book "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" which is great! It's kind of big, but it has so many options and the recipes are so flavorful.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Beans and rice, risotto, gluten-free pasta and sauce, vegetable tacos in corn tortillas are a few suggestions...

Are your kids vegetarian too? If not, make them some chicken/beef stir fry and make yourself some with tofu...
  • lunchgirlie
    lunchgirlie Posts: 101 Member
    It's hard to give advice without seeing what you have been eating, but I would suggest brown lentils for protein and other beans as well. Brown lentils are highest percentage-wise in protein aside from soy.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    try looking into middle eastern/greek/mediterranean cooking! my family is from that area and because of our religion (christian orthodox) we end up being vegan for huge portions of the year. so over hundreds of years we've been able to develop lots of good, filling vegan recipes.

they have really great, very tasty, recipes that should help you out!

one of my sisters has this book and it has AMAZING recipes
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Book-Greek-Cooking/dp/0060921293/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339088775&sr=8-1

i don't have this one but it might be something to look at as well
    http://www.amazon.com/When-You-Fast-Recipes-Seasons/dp/0881412627/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339088775&sr=8-4
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    I have major issues eating animals and have gone vegan for the last week. I have also gained 5 pounds in that week. I cannot eat soy as my kids are allergic to it. It seems without the animal products I am never full and find myself eating all day long. I need to lose this weight to feel better about myself. I also cannot eat anything with gluten in it as it causes major stomach issues and again my kids are allergic to gluten. What can I eat to be full AND lose weight???

Protein and fats will help you feel full. Carbs, not so much. Nuts and nut butters, seeds... all high in healthy fats and protein. An added bonus it that they taste great!

(Mmmmm peanut butter...nom...nom...)

BTW, you didn't gain 5 pounds of fat in a week. That's close to 25000 extra calories! It's water because of the diet change. Don't stress about it; it'll come off soon.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Sorry about your animal issues..I <3 me some meat! Can u do whey protein?

Whey isn't vegan. It's an animal product.
  • Tara_Janel
    Tara_Janel Posts: 48

Protein and fats will help you feel full. Carbs, not so much. Nuts and nut butters, seeds... all high in healthy fats and protein. An added bonus it that they taste great!

(Mmmmm peanut butter...nom...nom...)

BTW, you didn't gain 5 pounds of fat in a week. That's close to 25000 extra calories! It's water because of the diet change. Don't stress about it; it'll come off soon.

Im still eating 1200-1400 calories a day so I know its just water weight, but still its not a good feeling to see the scale go up instead of down. Maybe if I could just find some meat that isnt from factory farms I might feel better about eating it. Ugh, life is hard, lol
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Is it just meat you're having issues with or *all* animal based products? Because there's a lot more freedom in vegetarian diets, which might be worth considering until you get familiar with alternative products and feel more comfortable making vegan meal.

I'd suggest rice, legumes, lots of veggies. Adding things like hemp hearts of chia seeds is good. Stir fry is a good and easy option. I barely use any oil when I make mine. Chili is another good one and is pretty kid friendly.
  • Tara_Janel
    Is it just meat you're having issues with or *all* animal based products? Because there's a lot more freedom in vegetarian diets, which might be worth considering until you get familiar with alternative products and feel more comfortable making vegan meal.

I'd suggest rice, legumes, lots of veggies. Adding things like hemp hearts of chia seeds is good. Stir fry is a good and easy option. I barely use any oil when I make mine. Chili is another good one and is pretty kid friendly.

The issue I have is with how animals are treated. I love a good burger as much as the next person but I refuse to support the factory farm industry. If only I could find local humanely treated animals I wouldn't have such an issue
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    bump - always looking for new recipes, definitely interested in hearing more about gluten free recipes.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Try looking on line for a list of local farmer's markets. There are usually plenty of vendors at our local markets with humanely raised, grass fed, free-range meat (expect to pay $$ for it, though). Also, what about wild caught fish? Large fish such as tuna are always wild caught. You can buy wild caught shrimp at almost any grocery store and it's also easy to find wild caught salmon.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Yes, farmer's markets and also co-ops. And you never mentioned fish. Will you eat fish? Tons of protein and you can usually find locally caught fish instead of farmed fish (although I'm not sure it's as big a deal with fish as it is with meat).

Also, love me some black bean and corn burgers...

Good Luck!
    :smile:
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Grains, pulses, fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds....the possibilities are endless :smile:

Check out my diary if you like, I'm never hungry :flowerforyou:
  • Tara_Janel
    Grains, pulses, fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds....the possibilities are endless :smile:

what are pulses? I guess I need to just get a cook book or something then
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member

what are pulses? I guess I need to just get a cook book or something then

There's a thread in the herbivore group with cookbook suggestions. Definitely check it out. I really like Appetite for Reduction, Big Vegan and Veganomicon. All really informative with tips and the recipes I've tried are all awesome.
  • Tara_Janel
    Beans and rice, risotto, gluten-free pasta and sauce, vegetable tacos in corn tortillas are a few suggestions...

Are your kids vegetarian too? If not, make them some chicken/beef stir fry and make yourself some with tofu...

The kids are veggie also. They are 9, 5 and 1 and the older 2 are adamant about not eating animals!
  • Person192
    Person192 Posts: 13 Member
    I think chickpea flour is gluten free, and I find it really filling. You can make pancakes/wraps with that or something. I suppose other bean flours would be similar. Pulses are lentils/beans etc. Lentil soup is low fat and cheap. Also, there's lots of vegan low calorie blogs, like Chocolate Covered Katie and Fat Free Vegan. Maybe have a look at them?