Single Mom's & C25K

Options
Lib_B
Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
I want to try this program. Problem is, my husband is gone 2 weeks at a time, home for a weekend and off for another two weeks. I want to try the C25K program, but I have a 5 year old who is too big for a stroller and a 2 year old I could put in the jogging stroller.

Any ideas, suggestions about how I could do this? I have a very supportive family nearby, but they already step up to the plate to help when I'm in school at night and work during the day. The 2 year old's nap time is really the only time I can squeeze it in. Do I deprive him of his nap so I can run? Do I make the 5 year old run with me? Is that safe? I'd love to hear thoughts about how you did it.

By the way, I did not mean to exclude single fathers. I know there are lots out there who struggle with time too. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Oneday150
    Oneday150 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Could you go to a gym that provided daycare? I do my C25K on the treadmill..
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Is there a track with a fence around it nearby? The kids can run around, but the fence keeps them contained while you're running.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I see people at the park that push a jogging stroller and have their older kid on a bike of some sort.
    5 seems a little young, but maybe not. Usually they make some sort of looping pattern around the parent yelling at them to go faster.
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    I used to take my little guy to a playground, and let him play while I ran laps around it...so I could keep an eye on him, and get it in. It was tedious, but it worked when I was in a jam
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    Usually they make some sort of looping pattern around the parent yelling at them to go faster.

LOL! Love it! :)
  • Lor35
    Lor35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can you run on your lunch break at work?
  • PrincessKittenpants
    Options
    I have a 2.5 year old so I jump on the treadmill when he is in bed for the night.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    Is there a track with a fence around it nearby? The kids can run around, but the fence keeps them contained while you're running.

great idea! lots of high schools. i'm sure we could make that work.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    I see people at the park that push a jogging stroller and have their older kid on a bike of some sort.
    5 seems a little young, but maybe not. Usually they make some sort of looping pattern around the parent yelling at them to go faster.

This would be my 5 year old. Or she would take off. I'd prefer to have her on foot so she can't escape. :)
  • Sondras09
    Sondras09 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Thats what I do. I have a 6,4 and 9 month old. The 6 and 4 yo ride thier bikes, and i push the baby in the jogging stroller.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    Good ideas. I could do the treadmill at the gym (we do have a membership), but I'd like it to be a way to get my kids outdoors too. They sleep so much better when they've had plenty of fresh air. We have a high school track not too far from us that has a public pool nearby. At least for the summer, maybe it could be, let mommy get her run in at the track and we'll go to the pool for an hour after...
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I second the track idea. I take my kids to the local high school track on the weekends. If the two year old can nap in the stroller, just park him in a visible shady spot. Otherwise, they can play in the grassy area inside the track. Just be sure to stress the importance of not wandering off and staying out of the way of other people on the track. Also, I think running with you is a great idea for the five year old.
  • lgndgirl
    lgndgirl Posts: 5
    Options
    My 4 year old rides his bike next to me while I walk/run at the track. Our track is set back a good distance from the road is fenced and I go when it's not busy.