Strength Training Newbie

Options
Hello everyone...Im great on cardio BUT I know its best if I do some stregnth traning during my weight lost not at the end....Only problem is I have no clue what to do, how to do it and not kill myself LOL

My Stats
5ft even
Sw 199.9
Cw 195.3
GW 120s

With as much weight as I have to lose I want to tone as I go

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    What kind of equipment do you have access to?
  • Gidgetfrombama
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have a membership to The YMCA .. but rarely go because it's so overwhelming, I don't know where to start!
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What kind of equipment do you have access to?

Looking for things to do at home cant really afford a gym membership because I need one with childcare because my husband and I work different ****s and I have my daughter...
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • angelakj23
    angelakj23 Posts: 51
    Options
    Use your own body weight to start out with. You can do sit ups, puships, lunges, squats, leg lifts, mountain climbers, etc. If you are not sure the proper form, use You Tube. There are tons of trainers that show videos on proper technique. :)
  • stickwithme
    stickwithme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Use your own body weight to start out with. You can do sit ups, puships, lunges, squats, leg lifts, mountain climbers, etc. If you are not sure the proper form, use You Tube. There are tons of trainers that show videos on proper technique. :)

I'm using the Fitness Blender channel on YouTube for a gentle start. Loads and loads of stuff on there and on their website:

http://www.fitnessblender.com/
  • chusheto1
    chusheto1 Posts: 29
    Options
    Here you go. Here is a beginner workout.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/the-workout-for-every-guy-the-beginner

I know it is "for men", but it includes good, basic exercises. I don't agree with the "do your body weight" crowd. While it is sound advice, I don't think it is practical for beginners. Most of us need to build our way up to that level of fitness when we start.
  • kgtgj
    kgtgj Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat when I began. I invested in a series of personal training sessions over a month. I asked him to teach me about weight training. I now go to the gym with the confidence to lift with the guys.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have a membership to The YMCA .. but rarely go because it's so overwhelming, I don't know where to start!

my local YMCA has free "fit start" classes where one of the personal trainers takes a small group of people through using the different machines for strength training. You could also get a personal training session on your own for like $30 for a 30 minute session.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do have a YMCA membership. I got ten free sessions with a personal trainer. I am thinking of buying extra to concentrate more on free weights.
    I purchased a stability ball, medicine ball and kettle bells and new dumbbells for days when I can't get to the gym. My cardio sucks. But I got a few Jillian Michaels DVD and they were too hard because of the cardio aspect. I got a beginners DVD by her and I've been working with it.
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    well it is really needed to do some strength training you need some equipment to start with it find the dumbbells that suites your need here bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I saw where a personal trainer was mentioned and that would be your best route. However, if funds are limited and you are a beginner I would suggest doing "starting strength" google it.. or following whatever circuit machines you have at your gym.