What Advocare is teaching....confused!

Options
I am confused? I know many people on the Advocare plan and one of my friends was lecturing us that Advocare states if a person doesnt eat within one hour to waking up, their body is shot for the day because it goes into storage mode. I told her I lost weight and I cannot always eat within an hour of waking up, sometimes its 2 or 3. She said its not fat then but muscle and I told her I cannot see that I lost 18 pounds of muscle, especially since I am getting stronger, she just glared and stated I was wrong. Does anyone who is familar with Advocare know about this being taught? I am not interested in this plan, but confused about the "dont eat within an hour of waking up the whole day is somewhat ruined..." method.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know if that's what they teach, but it's really stupid.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This is an old-outdated-myth which has been debunked. There is no validity to it. Although, I will admit, it may be "easier" for some people to eat small frequent meals to discourage binges/overeating. Again though, the time of day is irrelevant to your body. :)
  • cupcakelou383
    cupcakelou383 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/what-kind-of-breakfast-is-best-for-weight-loss.aspx

I did a little research and this site claims that there is no scientific evidence to back up that you MUST eat breakfast. Honestly, I didn't eat breakfast for years. The only reason I do now, is because I like to have a little fuel to work out in the mornings. Other than that, I lost weight just fine without the extra calories of a meal that I didn't want to eat or was even hungry for.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I know many people who don't eat within one hour of waking, and they are healthy and fit. Your friend has to be careful about taking something that one person/organization said and treating it as gospel. Encourage her to do some research and see for herself. :flowerforyou:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Fad diets have to make up a bunch of silly rules and explanations so guillable people (and I used to be one!) will buy what they are selling. Advocare is a pyramid scheme. Meal replacement and supplements masking the fact that it's actually just a low calorie plan. But since there are lots of shakes and schemes on the market right now, Advocare tells its users these usless bits of info to make them think they are getting in on a trade secret.

Edit to say that I have never tried Advocare. I was simply guillable about a lot of ther diets, fads, supplements, and pills.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I know breakfast is important and I eat it but not always within an hour of waking up. My friend is one who will do one diet plan for a while preach it then move on to another and preach that one. I kept asking her if this is what her 24 day challenge through Advocare teaches and she said yes, that is how she learned why she wasnt losing weight (after she lost 32 pounds on a different program doing different things it taught). I knw others on this plan and will ask them as well. I just dislike when I will get frowned upon by many do to my form of weight loss (eat right, exercise, life changing) and not doing some kind of program or pill (been there done that....). I am always asked, "Well how long did it take to lose the weight? I lost 3 pant sizes in 2 weeks on this or that." :grumble:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am confused? I know many people on the Advocare plan and one of my friends was lecturing us that Advocare states if a person doesnt eat within one hour to waking up, their body is shot for the day because it goes into storage mode. I told her I lost weight and I cannot always eat within an hour of waking up, sometimes its 2 or 3. She said its not fat then but muscle and I told her I cannot see that I lost 18 pounds of muscle, especially since I am getting stronger, she just glared and stated I was wrong. Does anyone who is familar with Advocare know about this being taught? I am not interested in this plan, but confused about the "dont eat within an hour of waking up the whole day is somewhat ruined..." method.

It does not go into storage mode and if you do not eat within an hour of waking up the whole day is definitely not ruined lol.

Don't bother discussing the pros and cons of the system she uses, it will be futile as you found out when you said about you were losing weight just fine.

If she strongly believes in the Advocare Plan, leave her to it. The best way you can show her is to continue doing what you are doing, example really is the best way :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat until about 2pm yesterday, I must've lost about 3 or 4lbs of muscle. No wonder the scale was down today....
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options

I don't know about the Advocare Plan, but there are many people who use Intermittent Fasting as a means of losing weight. They eat early in the evening one day and then do not eat again until the next afternoon at which point they eat their entire days worth of calories as normal throughout the rest of the day. They are going 12-16 hours without food and 4-5 or so after waking. They may do this a few times a week. They are not necessary reducing their calories, but the timing of it is helping them to lose weight. There's an entire MFP group of people doing this with success.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Wonderful advice everyone, thank you. I pretty much already understood that we all have our ideas and some of us want to and will believe any diet programs they are on (at that time for certain people) but I am learning new ideas with the healthy eating and just wanted to ask about this one. :happy:
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just started the Advocare 24 day challenge as a way to jump start my weightloss and get me back on track with my healthy eating and exercise. I know how to do it without Advocare, but I have 3 kids and work full-time with a side job and have no energy. It has given me the energy that I need to plan my meals and exercise, it has also provided the structure that I have been missing to eat healthy. I know that I don't need advocare to lose weight.

Back to the topic at hand, no where does it say, nor have I heard from anyone I know that has used Advocare, the nonsense that your friend is talking about. Maybe your friend has been mis-informed or mis-understood something.