Confuzzled

Options
Ok so im going to start off by saying im proud of what i have done so far. I decided i wanted to get healthy 11 weeks ago and in that time i lost 27 pounds. I was at 280 pounds. Recently though however in the last couple weeks my weight loss completely stopped. I go to the gym for a min of 60 min 6 days a week and i really push myself. Im doing 20 min on the treadmill at 3.5 (being 5'3 thats speed walking for me) I do between 30-40 min on the bike at a level of 6 going 16mph and finish off with the elyptical for 10-20 min. Im eating between 1600-1800 calories a day and now this week ive gained 2 pounds. I dont know if its just muscle or if ive hit a plateau or if its too many calories but im kinda freaking out now.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ok so im going to start off by saying im proud of what i have done so far. I decided i wanted to get healthy 11 weeks ago and in that time i lost 27 pounds. I was at 280 pounds. Recently though however in the last couple weeks my weight loss completely stopped. I go to the gym for a min of 60 min 6 days a week and i really push myself. Im doing 20 min on the treadmill at 3.5 (being 5'3 thats speed walking for me) I do between 30-40 min on the bike at a level of 6 going 16mph and finish off with the elyptical for 10-20 min. Im eating between 1600-1800 calories a day and now this week ive gained 2 pounds. I dont know if its just muscle or if ive hit a plateau or if its too many calories but im kinda freaking out now.
    Is your aunt flo due? :happy:
  • Picklefrits
    Picklefrits Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    nope not even close. :(
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium levels. Sodium can sometimes cause water weight.

If that's not it, your weight loss is probably just leveling off for a bit. No big deal. It happens to every one. You lose A LOT in the beginning (especially if you have more to lose) and then it just slows down. Two weeks isn't a plateau.....two months is. Just keep going, keep working and you'll get there.

Weight loss isn't linear. It has it's ups and downs. Get a measuring tape to help track your progess....it will be more accurate than the scale.

Edit to say that it's definitely not too many calories. And it's probably not muscle either. Just water or bloat or a scale fluctuation. My weight goes up and down as many as 5lbs a day. You can't stress about it.
  • xoFABULOUSxo
    Options
    Sounds like you're gaining muscle.

As hard as it is, don't get discouraged!! Keep yourself motivated. Soon you'll be over this mishap and progressing like before!!
  • Marque74
    Marque74 Posts: 60
    Options
    By going to the gym and working out, you are putting on muscle. I didn't see any loss last week weighing in. You body will respond and you'll be back on track. Keep pushing on. :)
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    What lora483 said.
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Everyone always says add strength training into your routine, so maybe that will help.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous posters, plus a question: are you doing strength training? Your body may have adapted to your cardio workout and, it you don't also incorporate resistance training (and mix it up every six weeks or so) your body will adapt to the training you've been doing and become more efficient at it. More efficient = few calories burned. HArd to build muscle with just cardio - you'll get stronger, but only the legs. The back, shoulders, butt, etc need resistance.

Take heart, keep in mind that you're in it for the long haul. I doubt you ever put on 27 pounds in 11 weeks, those extra pounds you have now are more than likely the result of slow steady weight gain over several years. As it got on, it'll come off. While at first you'll melt away pounds, continued fast lost risks rebound.

Good Luck
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    nope not even close. :(
    Ovulating? I "gained" two pounds 14 days before my period. For 2 days ish. Then it would disappear.