Healthy wage.com

Options
hjy319
hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
Anyone ever check this site out or use it? They have 3different challenges where you can win money. I am thinking of signing up for the 10% challenge which says you pay 100 to join and if you lose 10% of your weight in 6 months you win 200. it seems like some good motivation....

Replies

• hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :cry:
  • Mawkish1983
    Mawkish1983 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Looks like a scam to me.
  • Frogger0828
    Options
    I'm actually 6 months into the BMI challenge. It's a legit site - there are many news articles about it from reputable media outlets (like NYTimes, etc.). I've found it to be great motivation.
  • dajackson81
    Options
    bump
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Someone is offering to pay me to do something that doesn't turn a profit for anyone else in any forseeable way.

Nope. Don't trust it.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    How would they know if you actually lost the weight or not? Couldn't you just lie? I mean, I wouldn't, but many people would...
  • em4190
    em4190 Posts: 1
    Options
    HealthyWage is definitely the real deal! You have to get a verified weigh-in and weigh-out at either a health club or doctor's office so that you can't lie about your loss. I've had several friends that have gotten checks and even know a few people that were on a 5-person Matchup team that just won $10,000! I think it's a great opportunity and it definitely gives me more motivation.
  • Frogger0828
    Options
    The guy who started it, I believe, has a background in hedge fund trading. He is turning a profit. I'm sure. The idea is that he'll commit to paying someone who wins, but everyone has to ante the money UPFRONT. So, the company takes the money upfront betting that even if they have to pay out some winnings to people, there are enough people that will lose the bet; therefore, he still ends up ahead.
  • Frogger0828
    Options
    HealthyWage is definitely the real deal! You have to get a verified weigh-in and weigh-out at either a health club or doctor's office so that you can't lie about your loss. I've had several friends that have gotten checks and even know a few people that were on a 5-person Matchup team that just won $10,000! I think it's a great opportunity and it definitely gives me more motivation.

I agree - it's been a huge motivator for me!! I still have 5 months to go, so I'm still pushing hard. Fingers crossed!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It's gambling that's all. He makes his money on the 95% who don't meet their goals and can afford to pay out to the 5% who do. It's a blackjack table, that's all.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It's gambling that's all. He makes his money on the 95% who don't meet their goals and can afford to pay out to the 5% who do. It's a blackjack table, that's all.

Okay, that makes sense. Pity I don't have health insurance. The doctor visit to confirm my before and after weight would be $200 total, putting me in the negative even if I succeeded!
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Your first and only post

Interesting