could I count walking at work as exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    There are people on this site who have walked off over 100lbs. Walking is absolutely exercise.

Thumbs up on the Dr. Who pic. David Tennant is my favorite Doctor....although Matt Smith is not too bad:bigsmile:

Agree with Dr Who pic. David Tennent is kind of cool.
  • Zkinkel
    Zkinkel Posts: 13
    Options
    Walking is so great for you! Being outside as much as possible is also great... that being said...
    1. try to walk faster and get that heart rate up
    2. realize that if weight loss is a goal of yours controling your food intake is 80% of what it will take to lose weight
    (think about this... to lose 1 M&M you have to walk the entire length of a football field)
  • Stalh
    Stalh Posts: 14
    Options
    Not sure if it counts either. I work in a deli and I bought a pedometer watch, I was shocked that on the typical day I walk 12 miles. Should I change my settings to waitress level?
  • Chriztii
    Chriztii Posts: 94
    Options
    Yes! I count my 3 hour shift as exercise when I work because I am always walking fast, stocking shelves, lifting and squatting haha.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to know if I could count walking at work as exercise..I do zumba everyday but I was just curious about work.

If you track how long you walk with a pedometer or something you definitely can. My dad used to do that. He would walk miles a day at work.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It would depend on how your have your MFP settings set to -
    if set at sedentary - then yes I would log it if you feel it's a significant amount
    if set at lightly active or active - then I would not log it as your calorie calculation is based on the fact that you are leading an active lifestyle

That's true.
  • LovelyDayDay
    LovelyDayDay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    girl i have a HRM and i do zumba everyday and walk 1 hour 15 minutes when i started i lost 8lbs in 2weeks, youll see results fast when you do both!
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I do but I have my settings at sedentary. The reason is because some nights I am glued to my desk but others I am running all over the place. If I was always running around at work I wouldn't.

ETA: I work in a hospital and my office is on the opposite side of the hospital as the patient rooms...on a slow night i walk about a half mile but on my busy nights I walk 3+ miles. And since each day is so drastically different for me and even week to week it seems my activity level changes based on patient volume I just wear a pedometer and call it good.
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Im in the hospitality business so Im always on the move. Walking anywhere from 2-8 miles a day at work is normal and always count it as excersie.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I use "Walking at Work" frequently as an Exercise but I only count the Minutes/Steps when I am walking for over 10 minutes uninterrupted at a Brisk Pace -- usually when my Client is sleeping or a Therapist or Nurse is with her.