Was my short run worthless?

Options
soldier4242
soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
I got up early enough this morning to go for a run. I reached a point where there was this huge hill I had to run up and it shut me right down. I walked back home and I felt like I was going to die and I had to get ready for work. I checked my stop watch on my iphone and it said that I had been running for 11.78 minutes. My question is was that run a waste of time since I did not last long enough to make it to 15 minutes? I had heard that it is a waste of time if you don't reach 15 minutes.

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    It was not a waste of time because you will gain fitness from it regardless. Next time you may be able to tackle the hill a little easier.... and then the next time tackle it and keep moving.

I have never heard that anything under 15 minutes is a waste of time. That sounds silly to me.
  • sonniedee
    sonniedee Posts: 26
    Options
    No exercise you do is worthless. That's 11 minutes of cardio that you would not have had had you sat at home. :flowerforyou:
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I got up early enough this morning to go for a run. I reached a point where there was this huge hill I had to run up and it shut me right down. I walked back home and I felt like I was going to die and I had to get ready for work. I checked my stop watch on my iphone and it said that I had been running for 11.78 minutes. My question is was that run a waste of time since I did not last long enough to make it to 15 minutes? I had heard that it is a waste of time if you don't reach 15 minutes.

No, it was not a waste of time.
  • grannynickel
    grannynickel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Your "short run" was only a waste of time if you let that defeat you and don't run again. Seems like the hill is your nemesis. Walk up if you have to, but keep on going. It's the negatives in your brain that shut your body down. Just keep on and never, ever give up. Good luck.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I think any time is better than no time at all.....besides, you still got out there. Is it possible to do something else later?

I've had days where I've over extended myself running up a hill and just fizzled out then had to walk home. I wouldn't worry too much about it...just get back out there and try it again :wink:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is bc it can make you stronger next time. Sitting on the couch not doing it is a waste of time in my book.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I can only jog about 3 minutes before pooping out ..... your stamina will improve over time ...... don't stress over it .....

ANY moving is better than NO moving !
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    This is all sounding like good news to me. Hopefully I will be able to post on here that I have been able to tackle that hill. She is a beast however, I don't run in to her until I get about 1 mile in to my run and she is very steep. I will keep doing it and see what happens.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i didn't wake up at all for a morning run so you beat me.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    In no way is making your body move worthless!!! I feel glad even if I just play in the yard chasing my son around for a little while, or weeding for 10 minutes. It's 10 minutes I didn't spend on the couch or in bed, and you should use that damn hill as a challenge and each time you go out get a little further. If you feel like you can only walk it, walk it for a while. Lots of people who aren't avid runners start out by walking and work their way up to a run. The point of exercise is, get your body moving.

Of course you burn more calories the longer you work out, but I've never heard there being a minimum time limit.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Studies now show that short bursts of physical activity are just as beneficial as longer cardio workouts. Every little bit makes a difference! Even taking the stairs at work or pacing while waiting for the elevator (I do a lot of that!) or parking farther away so you have to walk a little. Good for you for waking up early to get some exercise!! :bigsmile:
  • brendarun
    brendarun Posts: 26
    Options
    its 11 minutes more than if you'd of just sat at home and done nothing. No ammount of exercise is worthless x
  • edjack
    edjack Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    no, it was a good run just keep pushing your self your be running for longer time in no time...
  • rando348
    rando348 Posts: 22
    Options
    its not worthless. Next time walk up the hill. After awhile you'll be running up it.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Not worthless. You have to start somewhere. And for me personally it feels awesome after I run at night knowing that I've doubled what I started out at and I don't have to stop anymore to catch my breath! Just keep building your endurance!
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    interval runners the world over don't run that much sometimes in a given session. Granted, they may do many of their sessions within a short amount of time, but you build fitness with any run you do, nowhere is a time limit set up for that, and if there were, it would be different for each different person anyway. Sometimes, getting out for a ten minute run is the hardest thing in the world. You did that. Congrats.
    keep running!!!
  • sweetmissie
    sweetmissie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    small steps honey your run is better then no run what you did was wonderfull you have to do it again
    and keep on doing it and the day will come when you WILL BEAT THAT HILL. and NO your run was not worthless:smile: