Replies

• lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I weigh my meat only.
  • supermoo2
    supermoo2 Posts: 77
    Options
    I weigh if it is the first time I have something - so that I have a visual of how much it looks like. For instance, I know, through weighing, that 1 dessertspoon of blueberries is approx 30g, so when I have them with my porridge now, I just use the dessertspoon to measure.
    I'm not obsessive about weighing but it is useful for first time, or occassional foods.
  • mrsfickle
    mrsfickle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything, I have to....guesstimating is what got me into this mess! I measure everything too!
  • GreenEyedLady1
    Options
    i weigh everything. or measure. everything. until i can better train my eyes and brain to what a 'serving' is...i weigh/measure. the best way to make sure my calorie count is as accurate as it can be.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    most certainly weigh everything. guesstimating stresses me out. when you guess, you're probably consuming so much more than you think!
  • KWNurse
    KWNurse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I weigh most things as I cook most of my meals. I don't understand why if 8 oz = 1 cup, then MFP says 1cup of chopped zucchini with 4.4 oz in parenthesis. I have found many discrepancies with the calorie count on raw fruits and meats, etc. I have been comparing with calorieking.com.

If you don't weigh, you will probably give yourself more than the portion you calculated. After time, your estimates will be more accurate.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I weigh/measure everything!! Otherwise I find that I over estimate the foods I love and underestimate the foods I don't love so much!
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I weigh...meats...use a measuring cup for things like yogurt, beans, rice..etc.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything...It's a must!!
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think weighing apples and other things like that is important. I normaly use measuring cups and spoons for other foods like olive oil.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    For me, Weighing is the best way to keep you honest. You can't fool the scale.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I used to measure everything religiously and then got a scale. I found with a lot of dry things (cereal, granola etc.) the weight of the volume is incorrect. (My granola is 220 calories per 2/3cup or 55g. When I weight out 55g it is more like 1/3 to 1/2 a cup.)

About the apple, do you eat the core? I would think that weight can be deducted...I could be wrong.
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    i've weighed everything since I've started this journey and never going to stop :)
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    . I thought I knew what a "serving" was but when I got my food scale, I realized I was wrong. I weigh everything now.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda obsessed with weighing things. I even take my scale to cookouts and such lol I've even started weighing things that have a cup or tablespoon measurement, etc because I found that some of those can be a level scoop and some a rounded. I don't like guessing!
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    We didn't become overweight by eating proper portions, right? So yes, I weigh every day -- digital kitchen scale, measuring cups and spoons.

Weighing/measuring is key for portion control for those of us (like me) who have "portion distortion".
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    my scale weighs in grams so i am able to get a really accurate picture of how much i am eating ... it is surprising the discrepancy between guestimate and fact.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    i weigh things. i keep my scales on the counter top and quickly pop most things in there before eating. you get good after a bit though because you learn that a apple or pear is a lot heavier than you think. and other stuff like potatoe portions and rice. i was really suprised how heavy and the difference in actual fruit and veg weights and what is small medium and large portions of things. its a real eye opener.

Same here.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options

This is a terrible example as both peanut butter and oats are extremely calorie dense and probs not a good idea in any case for weight loss... If she was only a quarter cup over on broccoli for example there would only be a difference of 5 cals.
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yep I weigh just about all calorie dense foods: muesli, milk, yoghurt, cheese, fruit, grains, etc. I don't normally weigh non-starchy vegies because they are so light in calories it doesn't have to be accurate. I also don't weigh single serving packages of stuff.

It's pretty amazing what difference there is between measuring by weight and by volume. Also I find weighing a lot easier than measuring.