Should I split my Upper and Lower Body Strength???

Options
Should I split my upper body and lower body strength training? Or is it fine to do both upper and lower body on the same day?

I've heard a lot about compound movement strength training being very effective. What do you think?

Replies

• Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I do
    2 days upper
    2 days lower
    2 days abs
    1 day off
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    For me, personally, I prefer a workout that works both upper and lower body with a variety of high, medium and low intensity push and pull movements. I just feel the best after those workouts, and since I started doing them, I have seen the most results.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked this. I have been splitting my workouts, but spend less time at the gym now that I run outside. I am wondering if I should combine them and get 2-3 days of legs/arms rather than legs, arms, legs.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i split mine. it takes a while to do both which doesn't leave much time for any cardio. also, it's hard for me to do legs and get a good cardio workout in the same day cuz my legs are all jello-like. i like to do a light cardio (usually rec sports or moderate biking) on my legs days and heavy cardio (spinning or running) on my arms days.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Both can be effective. If you have a restriction on your gym availability (for example, if your lifestyle forces you to train on 3 consecutive days) then you'd want to adjust your training accordingly.

For example: Full body done 3 times per week is a good program provided that you can get a rest day in between lift days.
    Upper/Lower split done 4 times per week is a good program and you'd probably want a rest day in between but I suppose it's not absolutely necessary (I'd recommend it though).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Squats ALL THE DAYS!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My resistance training is almost entirely calisthenics-based, which pretty much necessitates total body workouts. I do sometimes like to have heavy lifting days specifically focused on back & lower body as I don't feel those muscle groups are hit HARD ENOUGH by calisthenics alone.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Legs
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Legs
    Back
    Off

I split, and do abs whenever they aren't sore.
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Both can be effective. If you have a restriction on your gym availability (for example, if your lifestyle forces you to train on 3 consecutive days) then you'd want to adjust your training accordingly.

For example: Full body done 3 times per week is a good program provided that you can get a rest day in between lift days.
    Upper/Lower split done 4 times per week is a good program and you'd probably want a rest day in between but I suppose it's not absolutely necessary (I'd recommend it though).

Great info!! Thanks!
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels splits it front and back instead of upper and lower. She says that forces the heart to work harder sending blood up and down and burns more calories due to peripheral heart action. (or something like that)
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options

Great info!! Thanks!

I agree. Very helpful.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I've used StrongLifts to great success and would highly recommend it.

I'm considering giving http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2010/03/blue-collar-training-for-mass-and.html a shot (language, be warned).

I think it has a lot more to do with ensuring you get adequate nutrition for your goals and time for recovery and that you put in hard enough work than the specifics of the routine you may choose to follow.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I used to do full body 3x a week, 2 heavy and 1 light, but I've been slowly evolving into an upper body/lower body split, I'm going to change things up soon and do each 2x a week.

It is out of necessity really, my recovery is slowing as I'm getting stronger and I do bodyweight workouts, I'm to the point where I need to be able to really focus on my exercises as the skill component is high on a number of things.

Plus I like to incorporate hill sprints into my lower body routine, which makes it an outdoor workout.

I'm also splitting my upper body workouts into static/dynamic workouts.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

This is a good program. I will say in my experience, alternating upper & lower on days and resting on day 7 has been for me.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I do a full body strength training session twice a week. It's probably not the best strategy but time-wise it's the most convenient for me. I also do cardio 3 to 4 times a week and if I'm really lucky I can sneak in a yoga class.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I prefer full body
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Should I split my upper body and lower body strength training? Or is it fine to do both upper and lower body on the same day?

I've heard a lot about compound movement strength training being very effective. What do you think?

It really depends on how you're training. If you're doing something like StrongLifts 5x5 then yeah you can get away with it. If you're doing 5/3/1 or definitely Westside then no you'd burn yourself out.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

It really depends on how you're training. If you're doing something like StrongLifts 5x5 then yeah you can get away with it. If you're doing 5/3/1 or definitely Westside then no you'd burn yourself out.

This may sound dumb, but can you explain those numbers to me? I see many people write stuff like 5x5, 4 x 8 x 75 lb, etc.
    I'm assuming it mean 4 sets of 8 reps with 75lbs?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

This may sound dumb, but can you explain those numbers to me? I see many people write stuff like 5x5, 4 x 8 x 75 lb, etc.
    I'm assuming it mean 4 sets of 8 reps with 75lbs?

You are exactly right. =)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a full body workout 3 days a week with mainly compound movements like deadlifts and squats. I seem to be getting stronger faster than I was when I was lifting 6 days a week and alternating muscle groups, and I'm only lifting half as often.