Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

This is why I joined MFP

I, like many of you I assume, have tried this weight loss thing a number of times. I realize that it is more than food for me. It is a struggle linked to emotions...good or bad. I have been a member for 3 weeks and committed to making it to my goal this time. I have read so many success stories and seen tons of before and afters that prove to me it can be done. I joined for that motivation. But also to listen to you all as you share your journey...hoping to find an answer for me. How do I handle stress, celebrate, deal with anger, frustration, fun times, family gatherings without my former partner FOOD? I know how to make better choices. But those don't quiet my storm when I feel overwhelmed like I do today.

My daughter has a learning disability and has struggled through school since about the 5th grade. She had a really tough time in high school and was disheartened when she did not make into the university she wanted. So she went to a junior college and worked really hard to develop study skills and get acclimated to college life. She ended her 2 years on the Dean's List and was excited to receive an acceptance letter to that university that previously denied her.

Well that should be a good thing...but the story of course doesn't end there. She found out today that because her cumulative GPA wasn't high enough she did not qualify for the in-school grants and even with Stafford Loans she will be short $10,000 next year to cover her expenses.

Here comes the moment where I would turn to food...

I feel guilty and overwhelmed. I am a single mom who never received a nickel in child support...not to tell my whole life story. I have worked hard to give my daughter a good life and she has had the best that I had to offer. But there wasn't enough left over for a college fund. To tell the truth, I believed what everyone said...she would receive a full financial aid package b/c it was just us.

Not true...

There are options of course, like Parent Plus...we will look into that but Jeesh...that's a huge debt. Do I continue to support her in her dreams and go into debt? (Rhetorical question)

The problem for me is how to handle this real life situation without food....I just want to order take out, rent a movie on-demand and go to sleep.

I have only eaten 300 caloriestoday b/c I am afraid that I will lose it if I eat.

If anyone actually read this whole post...you are either extremely bored or a saint. Not expecting any replies...I just had to vent. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Replies

• janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    I don't have much advice, but I wanted to give you a huge hug and say stay strong, you can do this :) x
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a hard time. It must be really tough.

If you ever need anyone to talk to I am here.

As for your intake - 300 calories a day is very very extremely low. If you, like I used to, suffer from emotional eating , you will find that restricting to such extreme levels will cause you to go mad and binge on more than you would have. You need all the strength you can to lose this weight and deal with your issues. Give yourself the right foods and enough of them.

You can do this.
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    ((((HUGS))) - you can do this, mama.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    No Saint and Im not particuarly bored either....But I read the whole thing...it gets better,,,the using food for comfort dwindles...take a long walk clear your head come home and EAT...and if you go over calories SO WHAT!!! Because guess what tomorrow will come and you start over!
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    ahh try and stay strong - you sound like your doing an amazing job :flowerforyou: can you try and run yourself a bubble bath and watch a movie curled up with a hot drink or something that will make you feel like your comforting yourself without food - so hard to do i know but you can do it!

*edited to add you need to eat something, try and cook so healthy cofort food as being that low on cals is just going to make you feel more down and have no energy - hugs
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    I read it all and not bored! Parenting is so difficult! There is not one correct answer- everyone has to do what ultimately feels best for themselves and their children.

Best of luck!! I hope for the best for you and your daughter!
  • KBienn
    KBienn Posts: 23 Member
    i'm sorry to hear your struggles. it's such a shame college is so expensive these days! try your best not to turn to comfort food. maybe go outside take a walk, a few deep breaths of fresh air and have a healthy dinner. you can do this!! stay strong!
  • Yep, that's one hell of a stressful situation. That being said, you really do need to eat some more right now, because 300 calories ain't enough for this time of day, and I'll bet your blood sugar is low and is having a lousy effect on your mood. Go have whatever you have on hand that's healthy -- an apple, some nuts, tuna, whatever.

Secondly, you might want to take a look at the following websites and see if there are any grants or scholarships that your daughter is eligible for:

http://www.studentgrants.org/
    http://www.grants.gov/
    http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/index.jsp
    http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

I'm sure other posters will have other links for you, as well. Good luck to both you and your daughter -- you've both made some remarkable achievements, and you should be proud of yourselves!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    No Saint and Im not particuarly bored either....But I read the whole thing...it gets better,,,the using food for comfort dwindles...take a long walk clear your head come home and EAT...and if you go over calories SO WHAT!!! Because guess what tomorrow will come and you start over!

I was literally about to say something extremely similar to this. This is your time to show yourself that food doesn't deserve the power that you give to it. I'm so sorry for all that you are going through and I definitely hope that some form of a miracle happens soon for both you and your daughter.

If you need someone to vent to or just need ideas for food, you can add me as a friend. I have ears (I guess eyes because I'm reading... beyond the point though) and recipes that will always be offered to anyone seeking them.

Stay strong. :flowerforyou:
  • angelicarubi
    angelicarubi Posts: 148 Member
    You can do this:D EAT if you go over your calories today so what??!?!?! everyone has those days but what you do tomorrow is what counts! I am sure you will get back on the wagon tomorrow and if you are anything like me eating whatever you want for one day will make you sick and you wont want to do it again.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    I am neither bored or a saint. I am sorry that you are going through all this stress, but like the others I think your 300 calories is too low. What has MFP set for your daily food intake? I think you need to eat more and eat healthy, like lots of vegetables and fruit, no soda's they are full of sugar. I love my homemade soups they are full of nutrition and fill me up.
    As for your stress well venting helps and I am here if you want someone to vent to, exercise is good for stress, especially if the weather is good long walks and beneficial to your weightloss too.
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Stay strong. I'm sure your daughter knows how much you love her and how much you have sacrificed for her. Dont feel bad. My parents were not able to help me with college either, but I worked my way through it and it taught me life skills about time management, determination and money management... I never once doubted that if my parents HAD the money they would have helped me out. They were there for me emotionally and they were always so proud and so supportive... which is way more important then the money
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    I read it. I am not bored, and I will never EVER be accused of sainthood...

Your feelings are very real, and very valid. You already have an advantage over your past "turning to food"... you realize it, and you came here to vent. Just know that your body does need to eat. I screwed up my metabolism in a major way by not eating when I was stressed.

It isn't easy to break those habits, but it is possible.

Congratulations to your daughter for doing so well, in spite of the challenges and odds.
    Congratulations to YOU for raising her to do her best, to work her butt off, and to go for what she wants!

I know it hurts to be unable to provide EVERYTHING for your child (trust me, been there... heck, I'm still there)

Please look at all the things you HAVE provided, and don't define yourself by this one thing that due to circumstances outside your control that you can't...
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    You must be oh-so-proud of your daughter for what she has achieved. I have a daughter with a similar story, and I know from experience that you have been there every step of the way with her in her struggles. So many kids in a similar situation give up. So, be proud. I'm sorry that she's not qualifying for the financial assistance, and I hope she will find a way to reach her goals. Don't give up on yours either. Hugs to both of you!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Not bored, nor a saint. What a great mother you are caring so much for your daughter! Well done you!
    First, 300 cals is not enough, try to make healthy food choices but eat more!
    From NZ so unsure about what options you have available to you in regards to support, hopefully some locals can help you with that.
    Keep up the exercise, it will help clear your head and keep you energised.
    Good luck - I truly hope it all works out for you xxx
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    eat something healthy. that may help you stay in control.
  • There is nothing that cannot be done if you put your mind to it. Everyone has debt, big deal...if it betters her life then its worth it.
    Now eat something, eat well, take a walk and know that you are not alone and YOU CAN DO THIS.
    Cheering you on! :drinker:
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Encourage your daughter to apply for scholarships externally (www.fastweb.com), or even through www.nelnet.com, you'd be surprised just how many people want to give away free money to someone struggling to go to college. Also inquire if the school offers a Federal Perkins loan option or Federal Work Study which would allow her to work on campus and receive a paycheck that will help with school related costs.

It's always hard to deal with the curveballs life throws your way when you have no choice in what's being handed to you--but the choice you do have is how you deal with them/react to them. Try to use this time to conquer your food monster and you be the one in control. Hang in there and good luck with the school stuff.

Take care,
  • smwifey
    smwifey Posts: 28 Member
    I just graduated at 36 so I understand the stress of paying for college. Please understand that you are not alone, in financial worries or weight worries. I read your whole post and one thing I kept thinking........you will still have to find a way to deal with this problem whether you pig out or not. But if you do (and I understand because I am emotional eater as well) you will feel bad for it later. The problem will still be there either way. My advice...take a walk, calm down, and then figure out what you are going to do. There are many grants and loans. I would spend some time in the financial aid office before I just planned to take out loans or pay. They can be a lot of help. You CAN do this!!!!!!!!!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    I cant tell you what to do either, but am a single parent who received little child support.
    An answer will come to you and your daughter.
    I would be scared in your shoes as well..
    From one single mom to another.. <<hugs>>