I just think its so strange....

Options
How weight loss works. I've been really watching what I have been eating and exercising religiously since July 5th. I lost a few lbs in the beginning...then hung around 178, not going below 177.7 for 2 weeks. Yesterday, weighed 177.7. Today, 175.7. Voila! 2lbs gone. Weird!! Expecially since I had a glass of sangria and a burger last night (home made - kinda healthy)

I know...i shouldn't weigh myself every day, but its actually really motivating for me. I like to see the numbers, expecially since they are lower then when I started. Boosts my confidence.

So does anyone else experience this type of plateau, then bam a few lbs off, then plateau, then again bam? This happened to me a year ago when I lost about 20 lbs so maybe its just my metabolism and body type.

So this makes an 8lb loss in one month for me. Super stoked about that!!!

Replies

• Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Thats exactly how I lose weight. Nothing and then all at once. Really frustrating for a while and then YAAAY!!!!! :laugh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    firstly - congrats on breaking the plateau.

I know a lot of people who change things up - eat more, change their workouts and drop a ton of weight.
    I on the other hand have been the same weight since February. Everything I've tried, including changing it up and increasing my calories is not working. In fact, I gained 2.2.

So yeah, weight loss really *is* a funny thing.

GL on your journey!:flowerforyou:
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    same thing happens to me! I won't lose a couple weeks and then i'll step on the scale and i'm down a few pounds!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks

I also find that sometimes when i eat something that isn't as healthy as the norm, that this is what kind of "encourages" getting over a plateau. I know that sounds strange. But its like it gives my body a little omph or kick in the metabolism or something.
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    that is how it was for me the last month or so. I went over 2 weeks not changing, fluctuating up a pound or 2 but down again the next day (water retention issues). After the 2 weeks I dropped 1 pound, then within the next 6 days I went down 5 more. :noway: I swear I was on and off that scale a dozen times to make sure it was right. :laugh: To make it even more unbelieveable I was on vacation, away from home eating out for every meal. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, but it is a little weird.
  • LivyJo
    Options
    that is how it was for me the last month or so. I went over 2 weeks not changing, fluctuating up a pound or 2 but down again the next day (water retention issues). After the 2 weeks I dropped 1 pound, then within the next 6 days I went down 5 more. :noway: I swear I was on and off that scale a dozen times to make sure it was right. :laugh: To make it even more unbelieveable I was on vacation, away from home eating out for every meal. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, but it is a little weird.

See! I wonder if it was the extra work your body had to do to burn those calories that jump started your metabolism! Crazy bodies!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that's called the "whoosh" effect, because you're stuck for a while & then - whoosh!
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options

See! I wonder if it was the extra work your body had to do to burn those calories that jump started your metabolism! Crazy bodies!

I definately thought that too, but I think the "woosh" started before I left. I jumped on mid day the day I left and it was down 1 more, but I didn't count it as it was the middle of the day and fully dressed etc. I usually am pretty good about staying within my calories, but the increase in different foods might have done it. My fav indian and japanese places are down there. :laugh:

Either way I am glad it happened and would welcome another woosh before I go back to steady loss :laugh:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Count me in Im the same exact way ....Right now Im stuck Just 2 more pounds..I cant get out the 180's for nothing man damnit:grumble: :grumble: ..Ugh its so fustrating
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think this happens to everyone - especially us females because of our bodies (won't go into detail but you know where I am going...). I have to say though, losing 8 lbs. in one month is pretty incredible and is a very good weight to lose in that period of time. You shouldn't try to lose that much all at once because it will come on that much more quickly. I hear that you shouldn't lose more than 2 lbs. a week for a healthy weight loss. I believe this to be true and I have lost a ton of weight all at once just to have it come right back on like that. Taking it slow is okay and just think of it this way... if you lose a pound a week for a year you will have lost 52 pounds! Keep it up-you are doing great!
  • LivyJo
    Options
    I think this happens to everyone - especially us females because of our bodies (won't go into detail but you know where I am going...). I have to say though, losing 8 lbs. in one month is pretty incredible and is a very good weight to lose in that period of time. You shouldn't try to lose that much all at once because it will come on that much more quickly. I hear that you shouldn't lose more than 2 lbs. a week for a healthy weight loss. I believe this to be true and I have lost a ton of weight all at once just to have it come right back on like that. Taking it slow is okay and just think of it this way... if you lose a pound a week for a year you will have lost 52 pounds! Keep it up-you are doing great!

Yeah i do know it was fast for that 8 lbs. I think it may be because I had just gained in the months prior, so easier to come off? Jan - June I was pretty depressed and just sat around a lot, and the lbs just accumulated very quickly.

Its not like I am not being healthy. I am doing P90X, but I eat all my exercise calories every day, and sometimes go over...and every weekend is usually some combo of eating what I want and going on very long hikes (live in Colorado) to balance it out. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, pastas, lean meats, chocolate :laugh: etc, so I am def not depriving my body. So I think that the recent gain is why these lbs came off so quickly.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    That's so funny that you are going to Playa Del Carmen. I got married in Mexico and we went to Playa Del Carmen as well. The pic you are seeing is from our wedding that was on the Beach. We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo and it is right on the Beach. You will have the time of your life. Can't wait to get back there again - maybe for our 10th anniversary...