What an I do to substitute a deadlift??

Options
Aprill42
Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
Is there something else I can do that will replace the dead lift?? Im doing the NROWL and trying to see if I can alternate it with something else?

Please and thanks!

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    For what purpose? Equipment issues (ie your gym only has hex plates), or just looking for some variety?

Do you work out at home - or in a fully equipped gym?

I would usually recommend doing the program as written, but you can change it if need be.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ron. Why do you want to get rid of the deadlift? We need more info to help you :)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    For what purpose? Equipment issues (ie your gym only has hex plates), or just looking for some variety?

I would usually recommend doing the program as written, but you can change it if need be.

Sorry to threadjack but is it really that terrible with hex plate if that's all the gym has?

And don't say find a new gym! this one is 5 blocks away.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Sorry to threadjack but is it really that terrible with hex plate if that's all the gym has?

Not insurmountable, but hex plates are a pain in the *kitten* when deadlifting for reps (since they shift every time they hit the ground). So you either have to reset every time, or you end up doing "touch and go's" instead of full stop deadlifts.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Not insurmountable, but hex plates are a pain in the *kitten* when deadlifting for reps (since they shift every time they hit the ground). So you either have to reset every time, or you end up doing "touch and go's" instead of full stop deadlifts.
    I just reset and yeah its annoying. I thought I was missing something else too lol.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The deadlift is the biggest of the compound lifts. No other exercise can really substitute for it because it works roughly half the muscles in the human body.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    To answer your question: no. You'd have to do a bunch of other exercises to come close to working the muscles that the deadlift does. That would be like trying to get a replacement for the squat. The squat and the deadlift are probably the two biggest and most important exercises you can do.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    To answer your question: no. You'd have to do a bunch of other exercises to come close to working the muscles that the deadlift does. That would be like trying to get a replacement for the squat. The squat and the deadlift are probably the two biggest and most important exercises you can do.

A bunch?

Rack pulls + GHR (or RDL). Done.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Nothing can replace it. but a substitute that can work in a pinch would be Pendalay Rows. Both are pulls from floor, so there is some motion similarities.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

A bunch?

But if you're going to do Rack Pulls, especially low pulls, you might as well just deadliftt, no? If you're deadlifting you should still do some posterior chain work.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    oh sheesh. I wish I knew all the lingo better. :blushing:
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    oh sheesh. I wish I knew all the lingo better. :blushing:

Me too!
  • meka1002
    meka1002 Posts: 3
    Options
    Nothing...why would you want to anyways? the deadlift is one of my fav
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

A bunch?

But if you're going to do Rack Pulls, especially low pulls, you might as well just deadliftt, no? If you're deadlifting you should still do some posterior chain work.

Not necessarily. In fact, for most trainees (who aren't competing in the deadlift), may be superior since they put far less strain on the spine (even while under a heavier load). Novice trainees usually have a difficult time learning to keep their back in proper position while deadlifting --- this is less of a problem with the rack pull.

From a body composition standpoint, the Rack pull hits the back better than the deadlift (due to the fact that it is loaded heavier) and the RDL is more effective hitting the glutes and hams.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that novices should master rack pulls before attempting the deadlift. The inspiration for this came from my O-lifting background. Many top coaches teach the O-Lifts from the top down -- it makes sense to have the deadlift taught the same way.
  • JNick77
    Options

A bunch?

Not necessarily. In fact, for most trainees (who aren't competing in the deadlift), may be superior since they put far less strain on the spine (even while under a heavier load). Novice trainees usually have a difficult time learning to keep their back in proper position while deadlifting --- this is less of a problem with the rack pull.

From a body composition standpoint, the Rack pull hits the back better than the deadlift (due to the fact that it is loaded heavier) and the RDL is more effective hitting the glutes and hams.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that novices should master rack pulls before attempting the deadlift. The inspiration for this came from my O-lifting background. Many top coaches teach the O-Lifts from the top down -- it makes sense to have the deadlift taught the same way.

True, I guess it isn't a bad way to learn part of the DL movement. I do them occasionally on my Max Effort days instead of DL's.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    What is GHR? What is RDL?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

A bunch?

Thanks for this. I have a lower back strain from something else atm and am struggling to keep my back straight enough not to feel the niggle, even at lower weight. Squats seem to be fine fortunately!
  • LabRat529
    Options

Oh! I do romanian deadlifts. They're really better for the spine though? I hurt my lower back when I switched from deadlifts to romanians. Although I think I did the romanians wrong for a while. I used to set the weight all the way back down and pick it up again.

I do like Romanian Deadlifts though. Mostly because they kill my hamstrings, and my hamstrings are weak and need killing.
  • JNick77
    Options

Oh! I do romanian deadlifts. They're really better for the spine though? I hurt my lower back when I switched from deadlifts to romanians. Although I think I did the romanians wrong for a while. I used to set the weight all the way back down and pick it up again.

I do like Romanian Deadlifts though. Mostly because they kill my hamstrings, and my hamstrings are weak and need killing.

With RDL's really to your knees or just past your knees is good, basically go down until you feel a really good stretch in your hamstrings. Also, err on the side of light with RDL's and shoot for a moderate rep range of like 8 - 10 or 8 - 12 reps. To help keep my form I try not to bend over as much as I try and stick my *kitten* back and out like I was mooning somebody. It may seem the same as bending over, guess it is, but mentally it works for my form at least. LOL

Aside from maybe GHR's and maybe Good MOrnings there's not much better at directly hitting your posterior chain and really hitting those hamstrings. Conversely, there's no better way to ****-up your back in a hurry if you're not smart about it.