Mexican Food!

Options
I am seriously craving some mexican food - there's this place near to where I used to live that did amazing burritos with rice and guacamole instead of meat. Sadly, I don't live there anymore and mexican food just is not a big thing in the UK. SO........ what I want to ask is how do I make something even vaguely mexican-ish? preferably with rice and guacamole? And fairly low in calories (around 500)

Sorry to ramble on, I know I don't make much sense haha!

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, Mexican food is not that popular in Philippines too & although I see some stores selling tacos & burritos but the taste is different. You can make your own version of burrito, all you need are tortilla wrapper, ground beef or chicken, avocado, tomato, onions, jalapeno peppers (for guacamole) & rice. You can also buy a chili seasoning mix for more Mexican savor. Also the same with tacos, fajitas etc. You can look up for more receipe online.
  • Sar3522
    Sar3522 Posts: 2
    Options
    Amy's Kitchen has a few delicious burritos and other Mexican food under 500 calories.
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    I feel like all of my recipes have some kind of Mexican flair to them and it feels redundant so I'm surprised to read this lol. Fajitas are super easy to do. Just cook up some chicken, peppers, onions and wrap in a whole wheat tortilla with some brown rice and a little low-fat cheese. I also use the same method for enchiladas, just baked in the oven with red sauce.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The problem for you will be finding the ingredients for sauces and such.. Do you have a market that sells dried chiles? That will be a huge help! For some really yummy roasted salsa that you can make chile verde or baked enchiladas heres a good one.

8 medium size tomatillos peeled and rinsed
    1-2 fresh jalapenos (depending on how spicy you like it)
    4 roma tomatoes cut in half
    2 cloves of peeled garlic

Place everything on a 1" sheet pan and broil until very soft and 1/2 charred. You'll have to turn them every ten minutes or so so they cook evenly.

Place it all in a blender with 1/4-1/2 cup of cilantro, the juice of one lime and a good amount of salt. To make it spicier you can add 2-3 dried chile japones or chile arbol.

for chile verde cut up a lb of lean pork loin into 2 inch cubes. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbls canola oil. Season pork with salt and pepper and brown well. Add sauce and simmer over medium heat, uncovered for 45 minutes.

For enchiladas I use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. De-bone chicken. Take 12 corn or flour tortillas and nuke them in the package for 45 seconds until pliable. Fill each one with chicken and a little onion if you like them and roll. Place in a casserole. Top with sauce and shredded jack cheese or cotija cheese if you can find it. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until heated thru. You can make this ahead and freeze it.
  • brityn
    Options
    Tortilla soup

For the chicken and stock you can make your own by boiling a whole chicken in salted water with an onion, a couple of carrots, the juice of one lemon, and a few stalks of celery. De-bone it once it's cooked and cooled enough to handle. Otherwise, if I'm in a pinch, I'll use store bought stalk, a de-bone rotisserie chicken and the juice of a lemon for the base.

One de-boned chicken
    8 cups good quality chicken stock
    Juice of one lemon plus more wedges for garnishing
    3 whole tomatoes
    One raw onion
    4 dried chile arbol
    2 fresh jalapeño
    1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro

Garnishes
    Pico de gallo (diced cilantro, tomato, onion, jalapeño, with lime juice and salt)
    Diced avocado
    Crispy tortilla strips (I use white corn chips crumbled up a bit)
    Sour cream
    Crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese
    Shredded green cabbage

For the salsa base (this is what flavors the stock)

Cut onion and tomatoes in 1/4ths, jalapeño in half. Place in a medium saucepan and just cover with water. Add 1tsp salt and dried chiles. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until very soft. Reserve liquid and add cooked veggies to blender. Add cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Puree until smooth (add cooking liquid as needed)
    This may be on the spicy side depending on how hot the peppers are. So, heat stock in a large pot and add 1/4-1/2 of the salsa. Taste and see if you need more (if it's for company I like to add a little and leave the rest on the side with the garnishes for people to add as they like) add the chicken to pot. Garnish as desired...
  • brityn
    Options
    Salmon Tacos

6 oz salmon fillet
    1 tsp garlic
    1 tsp butter or olive oil
    1 glug of olive oil for pan
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    sprinkle of paprika

wash and dry salmon and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet at medium-medium high heat (if your fillet is really thick then just medium so it doesnt burn before its cooked thru) add a glug of olive oil or cooking spray. Place fillet skin side down and top with remaining ingredients. Put a lid on it and let steam for 3 min. Flip and put the lid back on until cooked thru and it comes off easily from the pan.

We serve them on warm corn tortillas with shredded cabbage, lime, sliced avocado and make a mango pico de gallo with diced mango, cilantro, white onion, jalapeno, tomato and lime juice. Top with a sprinkle of Tajin and enjoy
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    thanks for this guys :) Am going to go to the supermarket tomorrow and see what I can find!
    to make matter worse - my friend from uni has gone back to california for the summer and sends me pictures almost daily of all the lovely mexican food she's eating!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Salmon Tacos

6 oz salmon fillet
    1 tsp garlic
    1 tsp butter or olive oil
    1 glug of olive oil for pan
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    sprinkle of paprika

wash and dry salmon and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet at medium-medium high heat (if your fillet is really thick then just medium so it doesnt burn before its cooked thru) add a glug of olive oil or cooking spray. Place fillet skin side down and top with remaining ingredients. Put a lid on it and let steam for 3 min. Flip and put the lid back on until cooked thru and it comes off easily from the pan.

We serve them on warm corn tortillas with shredded cabbage, lime, sliced avocado and make a mango pico de gallo with diced mango, cilantro, white onion, jalapeno, tomato and lime juice. Top with a sprinkle of Tajin and enjoy

OMG I love seeing this as I'm addicted to salmon. Will try to make this one at home later, thanks for sharing