So confused--how many calroies should I be eating?

Options
Hi there
If you get some extra time, I would love some advise.

When I began MFP in January it told me to eat 1200 calories a day. I weighed 183lbs and I am 5"3. I have lost 23 lbs and I now weigh 160 lbs. My goal of 1200 calories has not changed, since that is the lowest number of calories you should eat in a day. My weight loss has been very slow considering the fast that I have ever gone over my calorie goal, and I exercise daily. I also eat under my goal in carbs and sodium, and I am usually over in protein. I know that my weight loss will be slower now than it used to be, but I am getting very frustrated. I have done several online BMR calculators and some tell me I should only be eating 945 calories a day, and others tell me I should be eating 1400. I don't want to go into starvation mode, but I am afraid to up my calories based on my low weight loss results now.How many would you eat if you were in my situation?
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eat More Weigh Less group....lot of good info!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Eat More Weigh Less or fat2fitradio.com

Both are excellent resources on how to lose weight without going to an extreme calorie reduction. Good luck!!
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You actually might be eating too little, as crazy as it seems. The group the other people mentioned can help you with figuring out your BMR and TDEE and figuring out how many calories you should be eating for your activity level and how to subtract calories from that to lose weight.

I inputted my own number into MFP and just go by that number and do not eat my exercise calories back as they are already figured into my Total Daily Expenditure. I still track how many calories I burn, for my own records.
  • JillianJiggs7
    Options
    Thanks for the help, where can I find the TDEE and eat more weigh less group?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, where can I find the TDEE and eat more weigh less group?

type TDEE into your browser bar, or google it.

Eat more weigh less : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • JillianJiggs7
    Options
    Thanks.